• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Factotum - Brains over Brawn, Question

Ragmon

Explorer
Hey guys, I have a question about the Factotum class feature Brains over Brawn:

- Would I replace the modifiers with my INT modifier or would I gain my INT modifier on top of the initial STR and DEX modifiers? Oh and is this a mandetory gain/replace or is this a "you may" kind of thing?

Brains over Brawn (Ex):At 3rd level, you gain your Intelligence bonus as a modifier on Strength checks, Dexterity checks, and checks involving skills based on Strength or
Dexterity, such as Hide, Climb, and Jump.

Cyclone_Joker

First Post
Hey guys, I have a question about the Factotum class feature Brains over Brawn:

- Would I replace the modifiers with my INT modifier or would I gain my INT modifier on top of the initial STR and DEX modifiers? Oh and is this a mandetory gain/replace or is this a "you may" kind of thing?

Brains over Brawn (Ex):At 3rd level, you gain your Intelligence bonus as a modifier on Strength checks, Dexterity checks, and checks involving skills based on Strength or
Dexterity, such as Hide, Climb, and Jump.
It makes no mention of replacement and there's nothing indicating it's optional. You always get your intelligence modifier as a bonus on your jump, trip, initiative, or whatever else you roll.

The Int modifier is gained on top of Str or Dex checks. For example, if you had 14 Dex and 16 Int, the total stat modifier for Hide would be +5 (+2 from Dex and +3 from Int). Likewise, since tripping is a strength check (usually) then you'd add both your Str and Int mods to that along with other bonuses such as the Improved Trip feat. Note that Initiative is treated as a Dex check by the game, so your Int will boost that too.

Ragmon

Explorer
The Int modifier is gained on top of Str or Dex checks. For example, if you had 14 Dex and 16 Int, the total stat modifier for Hide would be +5 (+2 from Dex and +3 from Int). Likewise, since tripping is a strength check (usually) then you'd add both your Str and Int mods to that along with other bonuses such as the Improved Trip feat. Note that Initiative is treated as a Dex check by the game, so your Int will boost that too.

Thnx for clearing that up, I did not know about the trip thing...hmm I think then it will work for Bullrush too.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
One of the many reasons why it is an incredible class.

My understanding is the only STR based factor it does not affect is carrying capacity.

Carrying capacity isn't a strength check, it's just a chart based on strength and size and such.

Likewise, weapon damage isn't a strength check either, so Factotums don't get Int on top of Str for weapon damage from Brains Over Brawn. Reflex saves aren't a Dex check, so those aren't affected (but Insightful Reflexes can be used for Int to Ref if absolutely necessary.)

Remove ads