• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Factotum from Dungeonscape

Henry

Autoexreginated
I hate the name "Factotum" (it just falls flat on my ear) but I have to admit it fits...

I like the general idea of the class, and they did tone it down to the point where it works without being a "do everything better" class (the sparseness of inspiration points helps that). The only thing is more of that darned "per encounter" stuff! :) All in all, well balanced, to me; the only thing better than him are the Martial Adepts and Clerics, so he's not in bad company. He runs circles around the Rogues' shtick -- the only thing Rogues are better at is Sneak attack. This is the new Adventurable "Expert" class that people will want instead of levels of Expert to fill a certain role.

Razz said:
I think they need to gain more Inspiration Points, for one. They just don't seem to possess enough at any of their levels.

They also should've been given an ability to recharge 1 or some of their inspiration points as, say, a full-round action.
Notice that it never says they lose their inspiration points after the encounter. Hoarding could work. Even then, the class is just so-so. It looks like another dipping class to me.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I got Dungeonscape. It's a silly name to be sure, but honestly when I look at it and then at Savant...neither are silly. But I think Savant is a tad cooler.

Evil Monkey

First Post
From reading the class, I like what I see, but I haven't had one in a game yet on either side of the screen. However, there is one thing that jumps out at me as completely nonsensical.

Dungeonscape - Factotum Inspiration ability said:
Rather than train in a given field, he masters all the basics and manages to pull out something useful when the situation is desperate enough.

Dungeonscape - Factotum Arcane Dilettante ability said:
At the start of each day, choose a number of spells from the sorcerer/wizard spell list...

Those two sentences are completely counter-intuitive to me. So, this jack-of-all-trades pulls these abilities out of his hat because the situation is desperate and he needs a spell to save his bacon, but he has to prepare his spells ahead of time? I must have missed the class ability that lets him know exactly what kind of desperate situations he's going to be in that day so he knows which spells to prepare.

I think the alternative - just letting them pick any spell of the appropriate level from the Sor/Wiz list as the situation dictated, keeping the restrictions on casting any particular spell only once per 8 hours and only one spell of highest-available level - is not as unbalancing as it may seem at first glance and also fits better with the flavor of the class. Especially if you keep it PH-only spells, which could be seen as the basics of magic that virtually all wizards know about.

Speaking from my own experience, of course.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would instead want to see them not prepare spells, but to have a small spell list with a handful of spells from each type of spellcaster. If a given factotum wants more spell choices, that's what the extra spell feat from Complete Arcane is for.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I agree with Whiz here. Having a small spell list (both for arcane and possibly divine spells) wouldn't be out of the question if you ask me. It would certainly be a way for keeping the factotum's ability to hobble together spells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads