• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fading Suns Crossover

Aries_Omega

Explorer
I plan to add elements of Fading Suns to a traditional AD&D game. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so what have you used?

Khairn

First Post
I did run Fading Suns in a D20 Modern setting, using Second World Sourcebook to tie it all together. Influence from 2WS worked out wonderfully. My players still talk about it with a degree of nostalgica & reverence.

Aries_Omega

Explorer
Pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze post the stats. I was thinking of somehow adding Vorox and Ascorbites. Also for the Church...if one was to import them into a D&D game as "clerics" how would you? Nevermind theurgy....what about "domains"? Urth Orthodox, Amaltheans, Avestites and Eskatons would be clerics with what alignment (if any), domains and favored weapon. Would Brother Battle just be another name for a paladin or would it be a paladin/monk prestige class?

Karl Green

First Post
I thought the 3.0 Fading Suns was ok... it had some problems but it is not bad. I don't have my book here but I believe that they are +2 ECL.

I recently ran a True20 version of the game and my version of the Vorox looked as follows...

• Vorox – standing near 3 meters tall and weighting on average 350kgs, the Vorox are a six-limbed Alien that to some are barely sentient. They faces have long snouts and they have thick fur that ranges from black to light brown.
o Attribute Mod: Str +3, Dex -1, Int -1, Cha -1
o Feats: Large Sized (-1 Base Attack, -1 Base Defense, +4 Grapple, +2 to Intimidate, Increase Str Mod Max to +9, bonus Toughness +2, Armor and clothing cost +4 to 5 more), Multilimbed (+2 to Grapple, +2 to Climb), Increase Base Move (base move 40ft, on all-fours 50ft; Double Climbing Speed), Poison Resistance (+4 to all saves vs. poison and toxic damage), Scent (as Creature ability).
o Favored Feats: Rage (Warrior) and Toughness (Warrior)
o Common Natures – Virtues: Loyal, Courageous; Vices: Clueless, Gullible
o Xeno Misunderstanding: -2 to all Charisma based Skills and also a –2 to Sense Motives vs. non-Vorox. Also -2 to any skill where difference would matter (like medicine).
o Non-Psychic: Vorox are non-psychic and as such may not take any levels, powers or feats of Adapts
o Limited Feats: Vorox start with 1 fewer starting Feats (at first level they only have 3 base feats)
o Languages: Vorox (spoken), Urth (spoken)

Aries_Omega

Explorer
Typical Vorox

Awesome stuff. Anyone else? I been playing with doing Vorox as well. I can see them being from a far off land, like for example in Eberron being from Xendrik. Here is what I came up with for Vorox

Vorox Warrior (typical) CR: 4
2nd Warrior
Large Monstrous Humanoid
Any neutral
Init: +0 Senses: scent, Listen +6, Spot +6
Language: Common, Vorox
AC: 13 (-1 size, +2 natural, +2 large shield), 11 flatfooted, 9 touch
HP: 25 (4 HD)
Fort:+4 Ref:+3 Will:+3
Speed: 40 ft (50 ft on six limbs, 30 ft on two limbs) climb 20 ft (25 ft on six limbs, 15 on two limbs)
Melee: longsword +7 (1d8+3, crit 19-20) and 2 secondary claws +5 (1d4+1 and poison) or primary claw +7 (1d4+3 and poison) and 3 secondary claws. +5 (1d4+1)
Ranged: double bow +4 (1d8) or +4/+2 double bow (1d8)
Space/Reach 10ft./5ft. (5ft/10 ft on two legs)
Base Atk: +4 Grp: +11
Abilities: Str 17 (+3), Dex 10 (+0), Con 13 (+1), Int 9 (-1), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 6 (-2)
Feats: Alertness, Multiattack
Skills: Climb +7, Jump +4, Listen +6, Spot +6, Survival +4
Possessions: longword, double bow, quiver w/20 arrows, bag with various tribal fetishes

Scent (Ex): This extraordinary ability lets a creature detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Per Monster Manual and SRD

Poison (Ex): Vorox claws produce a DC 14 poison that cause 2 Dex damage initial damage and 2d4 damage secondary.

Skills: Vorox have a +3 racial bonus on Climb, Listen, Spot and Survival checks. They can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I substituted a longsword for the glangesh sword and used elven double bow stats for a fruthanga bow. I used nonelite array with an inital array of STR 13, Dex 10, CON 11, Int 11, Wis 10 and CHA 8. The racial bonuses are +4 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int and -2 Wis. I made them large long creatures on two or more legs and because of this they do not have more then the usual 5 ft. reach. When they are on two legs the are large tall creatures and have a 10ft reach. A few things I need help with.....

1. Did I do the skill points correctly? For that matter is my stat block off?
2. Assuming in keeping with that Vorox cannot lean mystical skills (ie divine magic, arcane magic or psionics) what CR would you make his and as a player character race what ECL would it be?
3. How often can the poison be used? Should it be like a thri-kreen with a 1/day use? In the FS books I am under the impression it is on all the time. With that should they have a poison save bonus or immunity of some kind?
4. What do you think about the space and reach?
5. I used the non-elite arrangement. Would you do the same and/or arrange them differently?

Last edited:

Necrotheologist

First Post
Well, just by eyeballing your Vorox, you have forgotten to make the weapons Large sized. And I would change the poison to a certain number of times per day. Most abilities like that should have some form of resource management. So modelling it after the Thri-kreen is a good idea.
But from what I remember of the fluff. Most Vorox are not going to have poison. The Li-halan remove the poison glands. And only the Noble Vorox get to keep one claw. So perhaps +1 LA for unlimited use poison but useable one each 1d4 rounds (Like those that the Li-Halan have not modified, ex, those only found on homeworld or smuggled off). Noble Vorox spend a feat to keep their claw and get a 1 a day poison (Say the Li-Halan have modified the gland in their remaining claw to produce much slower). And nothing for your standard off world Vorox.
How's that?

Aries_Omega

Explorer
Necrotheologist said:
But from what I remember of the fluff. Most Vorox are not going to have poison. The Li-halan remove the poison glands. And only the Noble Vorox get to keep one claw.

Very true. This was suppose to be a wild Vorox that uses some tools. I figured a truly wild Vorox would have lower Int (single digit) and higher stats somewhere else. I figure civilized Vorox would have no poison per the fluff material and for the cost of a feat (noble claw) you gain a unlimited use poison claw. I like the once per 1d4 rounds limit though.

If you were to put the Vorox in a traditional AD&D setting how would you work it. What about in FR? Are they from Maztica or some such place? What about Greyhawk and Eberron? Also in Fading Suns to be allowed off world they have to be declawed...surgically I assume. How to you explain that in a sword and sorcery game.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads