• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Failing Forward

How do you feel about Fail Forward mechanics?

• I like Fail Forward

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • I dislike Fail Forward

Votes: 26 16.5%
  • I do not care one way or the other

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I like it but only in certain situations

Votes: 49 31.0%

pemerton

Legend
"But what your pre-authoring did was say "Ok, you rolled a success on your desert crossing check, but now there's mountains, so you have to make a climbing check also." You increased the odds of the players failing without telling them ahead of the first roll."

And I asked, "And?" You didn't actually say why this was a point to raise. It *reads* as an implication that the player should generally know the odds of failure for extended endeavors before they begin, and I don't think that's supported by the general RPG oeuvre. Not knowing how hard things will be is pretty nominal.
How often does *anyone* get to know *everything* in their way before they begin?

How is, "You crossed half the desert, and found a canyon in the way" really different from, "You picked the lock, and find there's a monster on the other side of the door"?
To answer that last question: it may not be any different.

Part of the skill of GMing in a scene-framing/"fail forward" game is judging the boundary between resolution of one scene and opening of another. This is a matter of declared intents and stakes, implicit intents and stakes, and reading the table's mood.

For instance: if the door is known to be the last barrier between the PC and freedom; and the player declares the lock pick attempt as a dramatic final attempt at escape; so that the stakes (implicit if not explicit) are "Successfully pick the lock and you'll be free; fail and you'll be caught before you get out"; then it would be a GMing error to have the door open only to find a hostile monster on the other side.

Conversely, in my BW game last Sunday the sorcerer-assassin snuck into the wagon from Urnst and picked the lock of the chest in there, so as to steal the wedding gifts. It would have been unfair to tell the player, once the check succeeded, that there is no treasure in there. But it would have been fair game, I think, to have a monster as well (the classic snake or scorpion, perhaps), because that would not have contradicted the stakes (either implicit or explicit). Though as it happened I didn't do anything of that sort, because (in my view) it wouldn't have added anything to the game in terms of challenge, drama, pacing etc.

But finding a fouled water hole does not equate to... "Did not navigate safely and successfully through the desert"... it equates to found a fouled waterhole in a desert.
Well, if the intent of the check (implicit or explicit) was we make it safely across the desert, then finding the waterhole fouled does contradict that intent, as the PCs haven't made it safely across the desert. They have to do extra stuff to get the water they need.

In my game, as best I recall the shortage of water meant that another Fortitude check was required - which has implications for spell casters (BW limits casting by requiring a roll with each spell to see if Fort is lost), plus (I think) resulted in at least one PC falling unconscious due to exhaustion. Plus, by looking for the elf who had fouled the waterhole, they got exposed to more risks (a knife thrown in the dark). And then another check (Tracking, I think) which also failed, resulting in the well at the ruined tower having been filled with rubble by the dark elf.

I wouldn't have them make a single roll to cross an entire dessert if I had the precise locations of certain hazards pre-authored.

<snip>

Of course information about the mountain could have easily been gleaned by some kind of knowledge check, or a geography check, or research... but then I guess in a game where success or failure dictates the world as opposed to the success of your character in the world (which IMO has very little to do with whether character goals, desires and needs are driving the story)... that's unnecessary.

<snip>

Of course in my game there is a chance that the player's encounter the unknown... and said unknown is not directly related to them, and even in some way spawns it's own story... for us it creates a richer experience when interspersed with the purely character driven portions
I think you could narrate a successful check and still reinforce or reiterate on the dangers found in a desert. It gives context, it gives color and it's actually pretty close to how most stories of heroic fantasy narrate such trips (as opposed to the hero not encontering any dangers whatsoever) and can provide consistency (and agency) for failure states that may happen if they traverse the dessert again... they've grown to know at least some of the dangers that lurk in a desert. Personally I don't see it as GM verbiage... but then I also suspect this has alot to do with not just your DM style but the type of players you have as well.
The technique that scene-framing, "fail forward"-style games use to generate the unkown, the dynamic of dangers and successes, etc, is the back-and-forth between success and failure. (Part of what gives 4e fiction a more "glossy" veneer than BW is that it has a higher ratio of successes to failures.)

In HeroQuest revised, this is built right into the DC-setting mechanics, which raise the DC based on the number of prior consecutive successful checks.

BW uses "objective" DCs, but has other devices to ensure regular failures, namely, making reliable success dependent on expending limited meta-resources.

There is no need to introduce or narrate in new complications or unknown things as part of successful checks; failures are where this happens. Plus the framing of new scenes - as I said earlier in this thread, achieving an effective balance between resolving a declared action and framing a new scene is part of a GM's skill in this sort of game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But, depth that the player does not appreciate is effectively wasted effort. The GM should spend time on things that the players do appreciate, when it is possible to know or guess that beforehand. This is a large part of the drive of content created in the moment - not needing to make up a ton of content beforehand that nobody's actually going to care about.

And here is one of many keys to GMing - if you're treading water in a dark ocean, you *don't know* how deep the water is. You only have to provide the suggestion of depth, until such time as a character chooses to dive, or is dragged down by a kraken :)

In practice, that means that the GM shoud develop the depths around expected kraken, and around things they expect the players to find intriguing and dive into. But developing depth *everywhere*, such that random elements will all have depth, is probably not the best use of a GMs time.

I agree. The DM should make every effort to provide depth that the players like. When we start a campaign, the players and I all sit around and brainstorm ideas. Eventually one is selected and based on what is chosen, I will generally select an area in the Forgotten Realms for it to start in. For instance, if they pick relic hunters as their base idea, I might pick Mulhorrand as their starting location due to the Egyptian theme and tombs. I will then come up with adventure ideas based around their theme and let them pick and choose their direction, but I will draw on the pre-authored content from Mulhorrand as well as creating stuff in the moment with the players. If they suddenly say, "You know, I heard about this place called Myth Drannor. Let's go there and see what relics we can find.", they will go off in that direction based on pre-authored content and I will start prepping stuff also drawing on that pre-authored content for when they arrive. At all times, though, I'm working hard to make sure that things are interesting and fun for the players.

What those on the other side of things here don't seem to understand is that they pre-author things and draw on pre-authored content all the time. My games draw on pre-authored content and also create content in the moment, and so do theirs. If they create Jimbo the Clown Dwarf in the moment and one of the players draws upon his pre-authored background desire for revenge to announce the Jimbo killed his PCs mothers and rode off on his father, right after that moment Jimbo and that connection now count as pre-authored. Later when the PC confronts Jimbo and shouts, "This is for my parents you brightly dressed, face painted dwarf!", he is drawing on pre-authored content two ways. Once for his desire for revenge, and once for the connection he pre-authored in that prior session.

The only games that don't involve pre-authored content are ones where the PCs forget everything the do from session to session, have no backgrounds or character concepts, and where nothing encountered ever makes a re-appearance. I've never even heard of a game run like that. That means that it really can't be pre-authored things that turns them off. It has to be the way those things are pre-authored.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I have trouble trusting your parsing of all of [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s posts, if after 800+ posts you still don't know that BW = Burning Wheel.

Still, let's boil down this down even further. No one is saying pre-authoring is bad, or that if you pre-author you're a lousy DM who loves to railroad his players. Some people are simply saying that for their DM style, it's a net negative. The gains in campaign consistency and depth of the world don't matter, because their game isn't about exploring the world. The game is about the characters, the setting is merely a frame to place their goals and drives into context.

What does matter is that if you pre-author an uncrossable canyon in the middle of the desert, or that the all the waterholes have been fouled by a Dark Elf so that the characters have to turn back, you as a DM have just c***blocked your players out of their protagonism. You made their statement of intent to cross the desert NOT MATTER, because it was more important to you as a DM to make your world have a canyon in it, or to illustrate that the dark elf is a cunning tactician who's also totally gross.

No one is saying that campaign world detail isn't a worthy goal for many styles of play, or the players and DMs who enjoy them. But for a game focused on narrative play, all it does it create hassle that's in opposition to the heart of the play style.

If you think that pre-authoring something to block the players is the fault of pre-authoring, you don't understand the tool. A DM who does that is not only misusing the tool, but he's also a tool himself. That sort of DM will also be bad at your style of gaming. Bad DMs are bad. The tools they misuse are not.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm not saying that approach doesn't work for you. But what your pre-authoring did was say "Ok, you rolled a success on your desert crossing check, but now there's mountains, so you have to make a climbing check also." You increased the odds of the players failing without telling them ahead of the first roll.

Why does it have to cause them to fail? Why couldn't there be a cave to go through if they can't climb over? Why couldn't there be a pass in the mountains to find? Why couldn't they go to the village down the way and use their griffons to fly over? Why not a hundred other things?

Pre-authorship doesn't shut things down. That's just your misconception of what pre-authoring is about.

pemerton

Legend
The game is about the characters, the setting is merely a frame to place their goals and drives into context.

<snip>

if you pre-author an uncrossable canyon in the middle of the desert, or that the all the waterholes have been fouled by a Dark Elf so that the characters have to turn back, you as a DM have just c***blocked your players out of their protagonism. You made their statement of intent to cross the desert NOT MATTER, because it was more important to you as a DM to make your world have a canyon in it, or to illustrate that the dark elf is a cunning tactician who's also totally gross.

No one is saying that campaign world detail isn't a worthy goal for many styles of play, or the players and DMs who enjoy them. But for a game focused on narrative play, all it does it create hassle that's in opposition to the heart of the play style.
That Dark Elf that pemerton was pondering outside of play? That could have come in many shapes or forms. The play wasn't about the Dark Elf. He became a part of the setting mosaic when he was introduced into the fiction, yes, but it wasn't about him. Play turns on the Situation (a) challenging a Belief (or multiples) and (b) forcing the players to address the What (do I want out of this Situation) and How (am I going to resolve it). The Dark Elf is just the means for pemerton to facilitate that proper GMing (which isn't his bias). It isn't a story about his Dark Elf. It is a story about his players' Beliefs being tested in the crucible of high/dark fantasy conflict (over and over and over) and seeing what shakes out of it (character progression/evolution and story emergence). In this case, the introduction of the Dark Elf complication was just another system-coherent (and genre-coherent) means of doing that.
I agree with both these posts. If you want the focus of the game to be on exploring the setting, then pre-authoring makes sense. So does adjudicating action resolution by reference to secret backstory.

But if the focus of the game is meant to be on the protagonism of the PCs (and their players), establishing and pursuing their dramatic needs, then pre-authored fiction can become a stumbling block - a hassle, as TwoSix puts it. The point of setting, in that sort of play, is to serve as a backdrop and context within which the character's dramas unfold.

Of course a given GM might use a bit of one and a bit of the other. I've already explained that I use pre-authored geography in my BW game, and pre-authored cosmology in my 4e game. But this pre-authored material isn't secret. And nor is it the main subject-matter of the PCs' dramatic needs.

Start with the Protagonist. Each player is their own protagonist, and this is, as you said, a character who is going to take up the Dramatic Need. However, at the start of the story, the Protagonist doesn't really have much of a Dramatic Need. Their life is going on basically okay, until you...

Add the Antagonist. This is the character(s) that provide the Dramatic Need - something the Antagonist is doing changes the world in a way that creates a Dramatic Need the Protagonist takes up.

I submit that this is actually how much heroic fiction is structured.

<snip>

With my construction, how pre-authoring and scenario design fit in becomes obvious - it is providing a series of large and small scale dramatic needs.

Now, again, the GM needs to have pretty solid grasp of the characters to provide such a series, or conversely, the player needs to be not terribly picky about what will provide a satisfying need.
I think this approach poses some challenges for RPGing. Which you recognise in the last sentence that I've quoted, I think, but which I want to explore a bit more.

In the approach to RPGing that [MENTION=27160]Balesir[/MENTION], upthread, called "mainstream", the second disjunct of the final quoted sentence comes into play. The GM - via the authoring of the backstory, the BBEG, etc - provides a menu (perhaps a very short menu) of possible dramatic needs, and the players (via their PCs) are expected, as part of the social contract of play, to engage with an item on that menu. I think this is the sort of approach that [MENTION=27570]sheadunne[/MENTION] has called "pinballing", because of - in his case - the lack of connection he as a player feels to the stuff that, in the fiction, his PC is meant to be engaged with and caring about.

What about the first disjunct? I'm not sure that the GM's solid grasp of the characters is enough, because - as per your Luke Skywalker example - the character may not be fully "given" or fully revealed when play begins. No matter how well the GM knows that Luke Skywalker's dramatic need is to get off this podunk backwater desert planet, that is not going to tell the GM that Luke's future dramatic need will be to become a Jedi like my father. So where does that change in need come from? Someone will have to deliberately choose it.

In the context of a film or novel, it is the (sole) author who makes that choice. But in the context of an RPG, who makes the choice? If the GM makes such a profound choice for a PC, that seems to interfere with the player's prerogative to play his/her PC. Suppose, then, that the player makes the choice. What happens then? If, in the campaign world, it is already established that Luke can't become a Jedi - that there is no in-fiction possible pathway that takes Luke from his present situation to the state of being a Jedi - then in a sense the story is over before it has begun. I think part of the motivation behind the RPG designers who gave us games that are very self-conscious about "fail forward", scene-framing and the like is to come up with techniques that avoid this sort of impasse. At a certain point during the campaign, the player signals (via whaterver formal or informal method is appropriate to the table and the system) that his/her PC has a new goal, and the GM - in accordance with the basic GMing principles of the system - is obliged to frame the PC into situations which will put that goal under the spotlight and the PC's mettle to the test.

It's always a bit invidious to rewrite an established piece of fiction as an RPG, but here's one way I could see Luke evolving in a BW version of Star Wars:

The player creates the PC. He has some lifepath and/or trait that indicates that he is an orphan/adoptee. His Beliefs include "I must get off this backwater planet" and "I will pursue my true heritage". Perhaps the third one is "I will do a good job on the moisture farm" - this engages him tightly into the opening situation, and provides fodder for conflicting Beliefs down the way.

The GM engages Beliefs 1 and 3 by framing Luke into the droid acquisition and cleaning situation. Luke wants to do a good job on the farm, by buying good droids and getting them cleaned up and working well. But the mysterious message from R2D2 is not only an obstacle to this - because it impedes R2D2's work - but also seems to offer a way off the planet.

Luke's player then tests Hermit-wise or Desert-wise or some similar appropriate skill to establish that Luke knows of a Ben Kenobi who lives not too far away. The actual check to get to Ben (Navigation, Survival, Driving/Piloting or whatever else seemed appropriate) fails, though, and instead Luke is caught by the Sand People. The GM plays the failure fairly soft, though: Luke is knocked unconscious and rescued by Ben Kenobi, so he gets what he wants - he finds the hermit - but he is at a disadvantage, not having the upper hand in the social encounter and also having lost some time, which then gives the GM licence to advance the timeline in other respects (eg have Stormtroopers come to the farm and shoot Luke's uncle and aunt).

The GM then decides that Ben tells Luke of his heritage, and presents him with his father's light sabre. This presents Luke's player with the choice of accepting Ben's version of events, and pursuing the Jedi path as his heritage; or contesting that - maybe Ben is lying, or mistaken, or confused about Luke's identity (as with the Black Arrows in my BW game, the ultimate in-fiction truth is not pre-authored). In the game that follows the movie, the player accepts what Ben has to say, and starts to pursue this newly-revealed heritage.

Much later on in the story, though, Luke confronts Vader, whom - to date - he has believed is the killer of his Jedi father. Having Vader declare "I am your father" must be the result of a failed check - it is moving the fiction in a direction that Luke (and Luke's player) did not want. Thinking about how that scene in The Empire Strikes Back might occur within the system framework of Burning Wheel, it looks like some sort of social/negotiation contest: having won the physical conflict, Vader is trying to persuade Luke to join with him and overthrow the Emperor, and Luke's player declares some sort of resistance or rebuttal action - "You killed him [and hence I can't join with you]" - and fails. If Luke's player had succeeded, the story would have moved in a different direction.​

Not entirely on point for Luke's personal development, but also helpful to think about in imagining Star Wars as an RPG (and relevant to pre-authorship of geography): that Alderaan has been destroyed would be another instance of failing forward - the PCs arrive at the right interstellar coordinates, but the planet they were hoping to arrive at has been destroyed.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Why does it have to cause them to fail? Why couldn't there be a cave to go through if they can't climb over? Why couldn't there be a pass in the mountains to find? Why couldn't they go to the village down the way and use their griffons to fly over? Why not a hundred other things?

Pre-authorship doesn't shut things down. That's just your misconception of what pre-authoring is about.
If there isn't any chance that something the players discover could cause them a change in their situation, then they didn't need to discover it. Encounters introduced merely for the sake of background are "mere colour", as [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] has often described it.

Again, no one is saying you CAN'T run a game with pre-authoring and have it run well, or even better than the style we're describing for certain very common play styles. But please, just try to accept that these techniques make the game run better for other different play styles. Not everyone cares about the game setting as a focus of play.

Imaro

Legend
Again, no one is saying you CAN'T run a game with pre-authoring and have it run well, or even better than the style we're describing for certain very common play styles. But please, just try to accept that these techniques make the game run better for other different play styles. Not everyone cares about the game setting as a focus of play.

You mean in the same way your side of the discussion has accepted that pre-authored does not necessarily equate to a "railroad", or that a sandbox doesn't necessarily equate to a pinball-like game of directionless characters?

EDIT: Which is to say you can't expect people to be open to accepting/understand your views if you don't return the favor.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If there isn't any chance that something the players discover could cause them a change in their situation, then they didn't need to discover it. Encounters introduced merely for the sake of background are "mere colour", as [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] has often described it.

What does that have to do with what I said? Every thing I suggested was a change in the situation. None of it was stopping the PCs dead in their tracks. Pre-authorship is not about stopping the PCs dead in their tracks and never has been.

Sure. Everyone has a playstyle preference. I just reject the notion that my playstyle is more prone to railroading than yours or that it causes people to just stop dead in their tracks. What you have been describing are bad DMs misusing a playstyle. That's just as easy to have happen with yours as it is with mine.

TwoSix

You mean in the same way your side of the discussion has accepted that pre-authored does not necessarily equate to a "railroad", or that a sandbox doesn't necessarily equate to a pinball-like game of directionless characters?

EDIT: Which is to say you can't expect people to be open to accepting/understand your views if you don't return the favor.
Well, yes, pretty much like we do. Frequently, with endless caveats that what we're talking about is based on OUR preferences and is a technique for a PARTICULAR style of game. Seriously, the first three paragraphs of [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s are nothing but caveats about how different techniques work for different goals of play.

Quite simply, if you're getting the vibe that this discussion is about anything else than advice and discussion about how different techniques can empower different kinds of games and play styles, you're reading it wrong.

TwoSix

What does that have to do with what I said? Every thing I suggested was a change in the situation. None of it was stopping the PCs dead in their tracks. Pre-authorship is not about stopping the PCs dead in their tracks and never has been.
But that's what I mean! If you change the encounter from the stated stakes, you change the odds! You've impacted the mechanics because of your pre-authoring. If the PC says, "I want to cross the desert", and the DM says, "OK, that's difficult, you only have a 30% chance of that happening without complication", and they roll that 30%, and then you introduce a canyon in the middle because of your secret map, you've changed the stated stakes and odds, unless crossing the canyon has a 100% chance of success.

Now, if the assumed way you play your game is more of the traditional type where the players don't state their intent specifically, and more of a "Well, let's start crossing the desert and see what happens," than THIS DOESN"T APPLY TO YOU. In the type of game, the players are EXPECTING the DM to provide them with color encounters because the focus of the game is specifically about encountering those encounters. In those games, worlds with detailed maps and NPCs acting based on hidden agendas is both expected and celebrated. I am not judging you for playing this way. I OFTEN PLAY THIS WAY MYSELF. But it's a technique I use based on the game and players at hand. If I was a player in your game, I'd play your way because I'm familiar with the technique. If I was a player in [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s game, I would play his way, because I'm familiar with the technique. You see how the trick here is to be familiar with as many techniques as possible so you can play in, and more importantly be comfortable with, as many play styles, games, and players as possible?

Remove ads