• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fair spell immunities for outsiders

Hi,

this is a question regarding spell immunities for outsiders. As we all know, outsiders are immune to spells like Hold Person, because they are not "Persons", but a Hold Monster could affect them.

My question is one that didn't arise in second edition, because back then spells like raise dead and slay living were the opposite versions of the same spell.

Back in 2E, elves could not be raised via Raise Dead, so we figured they would not be affected by Slay Living. What about outsiders in 3E. Certainly they cannot be returned to life with Raise Dead. Now the question is:

Should they also be immune to Slay Living (and other spells to which this might apply) ???

Lord Pendragon

First Post
In the spell description for Raise Dead it specifically mentions that Outsiders cannot be raised by means of the spell. However, in the spell description for Slay Living no such mention is made.

Conclusion: Outsiders can't be raised by Raise Dead but are still affected by Slay Living.

hong

WotC's bitch
Neverwinter Knight said:
Well, than that is another thing I dislike about 3E... :mad:

Good heavens man, demons are hard enough to kill already, and now you want them to be immune to slay living as well?

hong said:

Good heavens man, demons are hard enough to kill already, and now you want them to be immune to slay living as well?

I was speaking from a Thiefling player character perspective... But anyway, you don't need SL for the weak demons & the big ones you won't kill this way...

hong

WotC's bitch
Neverwinter Knight said:

I was speaking from a Thiefling player character perspective... But anyway, you don't need SL for the weak demons & the big ones you won't kill this way...

Tieflings get an out because they're "native" outsiders. See the FRCS.

Crothian

First Post
Slay Living and Raise Dead are no longer opposites of the same spell. The whole idea of reversing spells has been done away with. So, which are yoiu more upset about: that Raise Dead won't work on you? Or that Slay Living does?

How many DM's use save or die spells on their PCs? Do you really let the life of a PC hang in the balance on a single die roll?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Crothian said:
The whole idea of reversing spells has been done away with.

I think you are mistaken. In 3rd Edition, many spells still have "opposites" or reversing spells.

Haste - Slow
Blindness/Deafness - Remove Blindness/Deafness
Darkness - Daylight
Hallow - Unhallow
Harm - Heal
Cure X Wounds - Inflict X Wounds
etc.

Just because Slay Living and Raise Dead are no longer "opposites" doesn't mean that all reversing spells have been done away with...

Crothian

First Post
You are right that there are spells that have opposite effects. What I was refering to was in earlier editions spells were actually reffered to as reversible and not as two different spells. THe spells you listed have oppisite efects, but are not related to each other. Reversible spells were basically the same spell cast in a different way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads