• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Falchion and improved critical

pbd

First Post
Do people think that the falchion, a 2-handed martial weapon with a threatrange of 18-20 x2, is too powerful once improved critical is added? The threat range becomes 15-20 x2, so basically it would threaten a critical about 30% of the time.

I am playing a fighter/dervish (cool PrC by the way) that wields one and my DM looked at me funny when I told what would happen when I took improved critical.

Have others run found this to be too powerful? It looks good to me (my character remember), basically the increased threat range makes up for the poor damage.

pbd

Last edited:

Scion

First Post
Improved crit and keen do not stack in 3.5.

However, even if they did then no, it is not too powerful.

There are several threads that run the numbers, and while people do disagree with what those numbers say exactly very few people have any problem with a single instance of improved crit or keen. A good portion of the time it is actually numberically 'better' to have a simple +1 instead of keen. As far as feats go getting another tactical option is sometimes better (depends on the campaign as to what might be better)

The dervish gets a lot of attacks, but the average damage per attack after improved crit is still reasonable. Is falchion useable by it? I thought it was only rapiers or something..

Kabol

First Post
As I understand it - Mathimaticaly - Improved Crit helps a Falchion weilder jsut as mush as it does a Greatsword user, or Greatclub User. In that, the Increased dmg % is the same across the board.

pbd

First Post
Scion said:
Improved crit and keen do not stack in 3.5.

The dervish gets a lot of attacks, but the average damage per attack after improved crit is still reasonable. Is falchion useable by it? I thought it was only rapiers or something..

I rememebered the keen not stacking and took it ut of my post...

Also, the dervish PrC just requires a slashing weapon. However, scimitars count as light weapons for the PrC, so you can use them for TWF with the minimum penalty.

Klaus

First Post
They're not overpowered.

Imp. Crit + Falchion = 2d4 /15-20, x2. (does 4d4, or 4-16, 30% of the time)

Imp. Crit + Greatsword = 2d6 / 17-20, x2 (does 4d6, or 4-24, 20% of the time)

Imp. Crit + Greataxe = 1d12 / 19-20, x3. (does 3d12, or 3-36, 10% of the time)

They all balance out.

Enkhidu

Explorer
If you really want to freak your DM out, make sure that you power attack with the falchion almost all the time. That's really the only place I see it getting outrageous.

Scion

First Post
Enkhidu said:
If you really want to freak your DM out, make sure that you power attack with the falchion almost all the time. That's really the only place I see it getting outrageous.

which I personally see as a direct result of the change to power attack being a bad one rather than improved crit being odd. 2 for 1 is just too good.

was

Adventurer
Just remind your DM that by using a two-handed weapon you sacrificed the AC bonus you could have gotten from a shield. Thus, while you do more damage and have a higher crit range, you're easier to hit...just a thought...

Darklone

Klaus said:
They're not overpowered.

Imp. Crit + Falchion = 2d4 /15-20, x2. (does 4d4, or 4-16, 30% of the time)

Imp. Crit + Greatsword = 2d6 / 17-20, x2 (does 4d6, or 4-24, 20% of the time)

Imp. Crit + Greataxe = 1d12 / 19-20, x3. (does 3d12, or 3-36, 10% of the time)

They all balance out.
With Power Attack and high strength bonus, the falchion gets better and better :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads