Fall Ceramic DM - Final Round Judgment Posted!

FireLance

Legend
Congratulations to Piratecat and thanks to all the judges for their comments. I kind of expected the outcome - I wasn't too happy with my entry this time round, either. As Berandor correctly surmised, it was a combination of the time limit, and Real Life throwing me a curveball about halfway through the writing process.

But just to satisfy Berandor's curiosity, the backstory that I did not manage to write was as follows: the blob managed to escape because its mind was too alien and Alistar could not control it quickly enough. It fled into the streets and remembered that it had moved through "stone" to get here. It thus tried to move through every large "stone" it could find and only succeeded in breaking the glass of Cailo's shop and knocking down the statue in Troll Park. Goff is familiar with the blobs because he has been studying them with Alistar. The Tale of the Bridge was a morality play about summoning demons (the world's equivalent of "Faust"). It was what gave Alistar the idea to summon creatures from other worlds in the first place. And, the fact that the blobs are shapechangers would allow Alistar to resume his humanoid form.

Participating in this contest has been a great experience, though stressful at times. It has really brought home the point (to me, at least) that ideas are a dime a dozen, but actually writing them out in a way that flows well and makes sense is hard. If nothing else, I'm determined to work on my writing skills in the next year, so that I won't have to re-work every other sentence three or four times before I'm happy with it.

And now, I'm off to drown my sorrows in the RotK EE DVD that I picked up over lunch :p.

Well done, Piratecat.

And thanks to the other participants, and especially to the judges and BardStephenFox. I really enjoy this event, and I really appreciate the effort everyone puts into it.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Well, it took me less tries than the Red Sox, so all in all I'm ahead of the curve. :D

A few comments:

- I found the thematic similarity of these images extremely challenging. Sure, I could link it in a gallery or exhibition of some form, but doing so made it feel like an object-driven "parade of pictures" -- the story seemed solely driven by the illustrations. "We see this, then we see this..." I don't care for that in my own writing, so the overly-long framing story occurred in an attempt to make you care one way or another about the characters. I agree that it's too wordy.

- I've met some folks like Mondarian, overblown or not. I can't decide whether or not that's funny or terrifying. My use of the dismissal gesture was strained in retrospect; I should have found a more natural way to incorporate it.

- Good note by Berandor on my changing POV.

- I think this is my weakest story of the bunch, but I wanted a finishing bookend to Three Kings. I also wanted something approaching a happy ending. I seriously considered having Celia gouge out her own eyes to escape -- and then I said "For crying out loud, she's just seen everything in the entire world and it's broken her fragile little brain. Don't you think she'd have figured out a way to get out of the damn room?" For me it was akin to yelling at the movie screen "Don't snog in that parked car while the killer is loose with a hatchet, you idiots!" and having the couple on the screen do the smart thing and drive away. It was an epiphany that characters don't have to be self-destructive just in order to succeed. Of course, it was instigated by the occult plot device, but what the heck. . . I liked it a lot more than the other endings I considered.

Anyways, thank you to the other competitors, the judges, and anyone reading this thread who doesn't have to! It fills me with wonder that I'm becoming a better writer because people are willing to take the time to run Ceramic DM. Definitely appreciated.

And now? I'm going to go write story hour.

Last edited:

mythago

Hero
A VERY big thank-you to all our participants, who wrote their little hearts out, as well as Berandor and Maldur for stepping up to the plate.

Remove ads