• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fallen World- 13th lvl homebrew (dark and mature)

Jemal

Adventurer
So I've discovered a major problem upon looking over the Grayguard.

As previously noted, it has the same basic code of conduct as a paladin, but relaxed.
The problem is, until 10th level, they STILL loose their paladin & Grayguard abilities (Smite, Divine Grace, Lay-on-hands) when they break their code... It's just that when they atone, it's automatic and doesn't require XP (Normally it's assumed that the Paladin must prove they're sorry, but with grayguards the Priest goes "OK, so you did this for the order, here's your atonement spell). At 10th level, they have to do something DELIBERATELY bad to break their code.
The problem this provides is twofold..
1) Until lvl 10, I'm just as vulnerable as a paladin, and
2) Priests willing to cast Atonement for a goodguy to regain his paladin powers are probably going to be hard to come across.

Neph? help?

Gli'jar

First Post
WarlockLord said:
As for the mechanics, I'm going to not take the balance domain (the domain power is for clerics only, and I can get the domain spells via the normal way of an archivist) and instead take the Illusion Domain, which is summarized below.
Granted power: You cast illusion spells at +1 caster level
1: silent image
2: mirror image
3: displacement
4: phantasmal killer
5: persistent image
6: mislead
7: project image
8: screen
9: weird

Some spells from SC/other, non-core sources or from domains from SC/other non-core sources I'm thinking about grabbing (standard action casting time unless specified otherwise, SR applies unless specified):
Snake's Swiftness (Druid 1): close range, give ally extra attack
Charm Person (Lust 1)
Ghoul Gesture (Hunger 3): ray paralyzes subject unless they make fortitude save, medium range, fortitude negates, duration 1 round/level
Enervation (Hunger 4)
Evard's Black Tentacles (Blackwater 3)
Vampiric Touch (Necromancy 3)
Shadow Evocation (Shadow 5)
Magic Jar (Spirit 6)
Word of Balance (Balance 7)
(<Evoc[sonic], V, 1StdAct, SR applies>
– Any Lawful Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful
Evil, or Chaotic Evil creatures within a 30’
radius Spread who hears ‘word of balance’ &
that has no more HD than the caster suffer
from the following effects (no save):
up to Caster lvl: Nauseated for 1 round.
up to Caster lvl - 1: Weakened for 2d4 rnds
& above.
up to Caster lvl - 5: Paralyzed for 1d10 min
& above.
up to Caster lvl - 10: Dead / Destroyed.
In addition, if the caster is on his/her home
plane of existence, any LG, CG, LE, or CE
Extraplanar creature in the area of effect
(even if the ‘word of chaos’ cannot be heard)
that has no more HD than the caster is driven
back to its home plane for at least 1 day
(WillNeg at a –4 penalty).)
Suggestion (Charm 3)
Charm Monster (Charm 3)
Haste (Celerity 3)

I'd pay full price (scroll+page cost) for these spells, of course.

Many of these domains can be found on crystalkeep, but hunger and celerity have been upgraded in the SC.

If anyone in the party thinks there are others we need badly, post them and I'll add them. I'll probably have a list of cleric and druid spells from the SC later too.

Warlocklord I noticed a problem with your classes. Archivists are an interesting way of filling the cleric slot without being a cleric. The spells the archivist draws from is the cleric spell list. Domains spells purposely exist outside this list, hence they are solely domain unless otherwise noted. Additionally, you cannot cast your domain spells from the bonus domain you gain from contemplative either. Since they are domain spells they must be cast from domain slot which the archivist does not possess.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Ebon

Couldn't help noticing we lack two things: heavy hitter (which would be my dwarf) and full fledged cleric (which I seriously consider since we are up to our necks in demons).

So: Fig2/Clr3/Deepwarden (if allowed)2/dwarven defender 5 or 6 depending on eCL)
OR Fig2/Clr3/Warpriest 8 (defenders of faith, I'm not sure if it's WoTC) - I'd stick with my first choice but can change if you decide we need more divine power.

Questions:
1. How does summoning, calling, banishment etc work with planar borders sealed?
2. How does commune and similar divination spells work?
3. What about plane shifting?
4. If demon is killed is he killed permanently? Or just banished back to abbys? Or his layer or whatever...

Yes, I thought conclaves would be VERY paranoid and would have means of ensuring those captured do not talk. Several ideas:
1. spells to forget the location and means of access (maybe with command word or trigger to remember) - non-critical knowledge intact
2. soul bound inside the conclave, PC can be killed at any time (with someone controlling his status every now and then)
3. soul destroyed/returned upon trying to reveal the location
Additionally, people leaving the enclave would be provided with personalized non-detection and maybe mind-blank shielding items or grafted runes that would work only with that person (to prevent the greedy to sell them of course ;) )

Little bit more of char history, motivations and hooks:
Ebon is fascinated with Order of things. Not rigid laws of men, but seeming chaos of Nature where things always change and yet stay the same. He is fascinated by all sorts of ordered patterns and structures, be it in magic, people or materials. Living secluded from dwarf and human society alike, he focused on materials and their inherent magic. He also likes his peace so he can do some research and do some smithwork. Protection of "his domain" comes naturally to him and passivity he sees as cowardice. While working on improving comrades weapons and armor is comendable it's still hiding behind safe walls while other die out there.

Although surrounded by magic all his life and not afraid of it, he is mistrustful of such fickle force and seeks inherent power in materials and patterns.

Personality:
Ebon is active and inteligent, curious to the point of dangerousness. He is also overconfident in his abilities and will occasionaly bite off more then he can chew. Somewhat rigid in his behaviour he tends to treat people with distant courtesy and let someone close only rarely. Thus, he can be described as having a personality of crystal (transparent, rigid and with unfathomable depths hidden by transparency)

Motivations:
1. Keep the enclave safe, eradicating any and all knowledge about it
2. Return the dwarves to their former glory - sending all dwarves he meets to agreed upon spot for collecting by the enclave (maybe teleportation circle)
3. Return to his home plane (if he can then get back)
4. Remove the veil so other planes can send help
5. Revive the old Rotting One (having powerful god on your side can really be a boon :)) - this one depends on Dumathoin's view of such a deed, this is just mortal thinking
6. Personal agendas: discover and use "land and material magic"

Hooks:
1. Powerful enemy, one of elemental slavemasters sends assasination squad when he finds out that Ebon is "outside" - i.e. not unreachable in conclave
2. Agents from outside contacting with their own agendas (Crystalle might see this as a chance to increase his own power, his mother might want to help disappearing dwarves of the world etc)
3. Any other mercenary work for this is how Ebon presents himself.

Jemal

Adventurer
Actually, Sir William will be both a Heavy-Hitter AND a healer.

Also, I think I've figured out how to reconcile the Paladins code thing.

Code of Conduct
A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.

Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.
OK, now,
at LVL 1, I have Sacrament of Trust' : I am considered 'slightly relaxed' on them, and can receive Atonement easier.
At lvl 7, I gain Unbound Justice: Unrestriced by the code of honor, you can can employ unorthodox methods that are all the more effective. Add half your gray-guard level(rounded down) as a competence bonus to bluff, disguise, and intimidage.
at LVL 10 you gain Sacrement of the True Faith (can act on behalf of your order as you deem necessary, never risk loosing your class abilities int he pursuit of a just cause and never need to atone for violating your code of conduct). It has a few things about GROSS violations, or PURPOSEFUL ones (like killing people for fun, etc), but those don't matter yet.
Currently, I'm level 8.
That leaves me having to deal with the following for 2 levels:
Respect Legitimate Authority: Considering they're all evil & Demons, I don't think many paladins would consider their authority 'legitimate'. (Especially since we're opposing them).
Help Those in Need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends) and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.

Which means that Sir Williams code is: "Protect the Innocent and help the weak/needy". I don't think that'll be a problem most of the time, and if I DO have to ignore helping someone for the greater good, well we've got both an Archivist and a Druid capable of casting 5th lvl spells, I'm sure ONE of them could be 'persuaded' to Atone me considering it's no cost.

Last edited:

ethandrew

First Post
Ditto that for my Master of Many Forms. Being able to take forms such as Storm Giants to Beholders and other various goodness, while having 5 levels of Divine spells, I think we've got those two spots covered. Maybe not as much for clerical, but enough.

Jemal

Adventurer
BTW, I was looking through the thread and couldn't find a stat generation method, so Until told otherwise, I'll use 32 point-buy (It's the standard from Neverwinter Nights, and as such my friends and I have taken to using it for most of our games)

Building the character Number-wise now that all the background info is done.
(BTW, congrats.. THis is one of the few games where I did ALL of a characters non-stat info first. Usually I create the character and then go "Now WHY does he have all these powers".

Jemal

Adventurer
OK, Here's what I've got so far. There's a couple feats from non-core sources that you may say no to(Please don't.), so I put where they're from and what they do for your approval.
Also, I wanted to ask you if I could use Deflect arrows while wielding a quarterstaff. It seems thematic for a monk-type, but technically you can't deflect while wielding a 2-handed weapon.

Character still under construction!
[sblock=Sir William Windwalker]
Sir William Windwalker
Human Male Monk1/Pal4/GrayGuard8
AL: LG HT: 6' WT: 190 Hair: Silver Eyes: Green Age: 24

STR: 22 (+6) [10 points + 2 lvl + 4 enhancement]
DEX: 16 (+3) [6 points + 2 enhancement]
CON: 10 (+0) [2 points]
INT: 10 (+0) [2 points]
WIS: 20 (+5) [8 points + 1 lvl + 4 enhancement]
CHA: 12 (+1) [2 points+ 2 Enhancement]

HP: ? (1d8+12d10)
AC: 27 (10 base + 3 dex + 5 Wis + 4 armour + 2 deflection + 2 Nat Armour)
(Touch: 20 Flat-footed: 23)
Movement: 40 (60 w/Divine Vigor)

Saves:
FORT: + 20 (12 base +0 con +5 Grace +1 resist)
REF: + 16 (5 base +3 dex +5 Grace +1 resist)
WILL: + 21 (8 base +5 wis +5 Grace +1 resist)
Init: +3

Bab: 12 Melee: +18 Ranged: +15 Grapple: + 22 Trip: +6
Attacks:
Unarmed : + 18/13/8, 1d6+6 damage.
Unarmed Flurry : +16/16/11/6, 1d6+6 damage
Staff : +19/14/9, 1d6+10 damage
Staff Flurry : 17/17/12/7, 1d6+7 damage
SMITE: +6 attack, +12 damage (Evil or Chaotic)
POWER ATTACK: -1 attack/+2 damage(staff)

Skills(Total/Ranks):[56 Points, max rank 16]
Knowledge(Religion)(+8/8), Sense Motive(+21/16), Bluff(+21/16), Jump(+16/5), Tumble(+10/5), Speak Language(4cc, Fiendish/Abyssal), 2 more points.

Feats[6]: Serenity*, Divine Vigor*, Extra Smiting*, Weapon Focus(Quarterstaff), Power Attack, 1 more(Deflect?)

* = feats from other books
Serenity = Dragon Compendium: Paladin uses WIs in place of Cha for Class abilities.
Divine Vigor = Complete Warrior: as a standard action, spend one turn undead attempt to increase base speed by 10 and
gain +2 temporary hp/lvl. Lasts 1 minute.
Extra Smiting = Complete Warrior: You gain 2 extra Smites/day.
Off-Hand Expert = Quintessential Fighter (Also Oriental Adventures under a different name): You add your full str bonus to
damage with your off-hand, instead of half.

Class Features:
MONK: Improved Grapple, Unarmed Strike(1d6), Monk AC bonus, Flurry of Blows,
PALADIN: Detect Evil, Divine Grace(+6), Lay on hands(72), Aura of Courage/good, Divine Health, Turn Undead(9/day),
Spellcasting, Smite Evil (5/day, +6 atk, +12 damage)
GRAYGUARD: Sacrament of Trust, Unbound Justice, Justice Blade(Can smite Chaos OR), Improved Spellcasting (1/2 lvl)
Debilitating Touch(use 5 points of Lay On Hands to cause target to be sickened for 5 rounds. DC 24 fort save)
Devastating Touch(Deal damage with Lay on hands.. 1 for 1. NON-Evil gets will save DC 24 to halve damage)
*note: I have 2 grayguard abilities left. LVL 9 is Justice Blade(ANY alignment), LVL 10 is Sacrament of True Faith.*

Spells (CL 4)
1st lvl(3/day): Cure Light WoundsX2, Lesser Restoration.
2nd lvl(2/day): Undetectable AlignmentX2(1 Cast every morning, 1 backup)

Languages: Common, Fiendish, Abyssal

Equipment: 110,000 GP
Belt of Strength +4 (35,500 GP)
Gloves of Dexterity + 2 (4,000)
Amulet of Wisdom + 4 (16,000)
Cloak of Cha+2/Resistance + 1 (5,500)
Ring of Sustenance (2,500)
Ring of Deflection + 2 (8,000)
Vest of Natural Armour + 2 (8,000)
Bracers of Armour + 4 (16,000)
Boots of Striding & Springing (5,500)
+1 Quarterstaff (2,300)

left: 4,700 GP
[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]
He was born William of Kalesh, Only son of Cormand, a minor lord of the deserts of Kalesh. His mother was killed when he was young, caught trying to smuggle him away from his father, though some say she is still alive in the dungeons, being tortured endlessly for daring to go against a Lord.

[sblock=Cormand info]
Cormand, fiendish a human from the abyss, and one of the consorts of the Succubus Lady Love seems to be deep under her sway, but perceptions can be deceptive. His domain, an area of deserts the size and shape of the Sahara is poor in souls but rich in ores, even of the rarest kind. Still, Kalesh is considered the weakest of the ordered domains and Cormand, lacking a reserve of soul-components to fuel his epic spells that comes close to most others of the spellcasting Lords is wise to ally himself closely to those who are stronger than himself. Because of his apparent poverty in Souls few demons follow him, but he holds great powers over the undead.
Of his two epic apprentices only Ilva remains, but her wereabouts are unknown.
[/sblock]

William's early life was spent being trained in the arts of warfare, so that he could take his fathers place one day. Though he showed minor skills in magic (A side=effect of his fathers fiendish heritage, and perhaps a proving of the rumours that his mother was a descendant of ancient dragons), his father disdained having a magic-user for his only son, wanting to raise a Warlord. And so he did, training William in the ways of the Black-Guard.
But William was NOT his fathers son, and kept feeling that something was wrong. Still, this was the only life he had ever known, and as such, could not conceive of anything better. Until he met HER.

She was everything he could ever want... Beautiful, smart, passionate.. and above all, kind (Not something one comes across often in this world). She was too good to be true, but she WAS true. And she was his, as much as he was hers. The two of them shared two years together and then she became pregnant. This was when Lord Cormand decided it had gone to far. He would not have his son taken by some common girl. Cormand stole their baby and had her drawn and quartered in front of William.
Thinking that both his love and his child were lost to him, William became withdrawn and cruel - Exactly what his father had hoped for. But when he found out that the child was still alive, a new hope sprang into his heart, and - renouncing his father and his evil ways - he stole the child back and fled his fathers land, taking shelther in one of the many monasteries
that dotted the lands. He stay there for a year, recovering and taking care of his child, learning to control his rage and his anger from the monks.

That is also where he was found by the Knights of Shadow, and approached by an old monk who told him that he could teach him how to get back at his father, and to help others like himself.. his mother.. his wife.. and to, maybe, one day, make the world a better place for his child. Agreeing, William took a new name.. Windwalker, and reluctantly left his child to be
raised by the monks, while he set out with the old man to train, and.. a year later.. He was given the rank and title of a Knight of Shadow, and released into the world, to help spread good however he could (without being captured or killed, preferably).

[sblock=Knights of Shadow]
The Knights of Shadow are an order of holy men who dedicate their lives to keeping Good people as seperated from the true darkness from the world as possible. They do this by placing their own souls and bodies between the innocents and the evil. As the Shadow stands between light and darkness, so do the Knights of Shadow. They are a secretive organization - Akin to a cult in more 'normal' worlds, that hide their members across the lands, to avoid discovery and eradication. They are one of the few (If not perhaps the last) organizations of Good left in the lands. To help avoid detection, many Knights of Shadow have given up the paladins traditional weaponry and armour and follow the Monk's path.[/sblock]

[sblock=Personality]
Sir Windwalker (William to his peers) is steadfastly dedicated to Good, whether it be through Acts of kindness, Eradication of Evil, or whatever. He is a firm believer in 'doing the right thing', even when it's not always the smart thing. (Though that does not, as some have wrongly guessed, stem from a lack of intelligence, merely a belief that if it's the right thing
to do, it's probably worth it).

William is not your standard 'stick up the rear' Holy Warrior, and is dedicated to the Spirit of law and Goodness rather than the specific innuendo's of it. As a Shadow Knight, he believes in the greater good, though not to the point of overwriting individual freedoms. There is a very fine line that must be walked between doing what you think is right for everyone, and taking away their freedom to decide that themselves.

The Knights of Shadow believe that by placing themselves closer to the darkness, they keep everyone else safer, and they do the things that the really good people shouldn't have to. Sometimes, if the knight is not pure enough, this can lead to a degradation of character, and some knights have been known to cross too far into the shadows, loosing themselves. It's tough to maintain your righteousness when you're constantly in contact with such
vileness, but William has managed to do so... Thus far.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Heavy hitters

It's all nice and beautiful.
So, here is small poll :D
Would you like dwarven defender or warpriest in a party? Priests can be heavy hitters justneed some time to prepare...

I'm not familiar with master of many forms but I take it's some polymorphing class (obviously).

I apologize Jemal, I missed that you found way to rework your paladin. I don't agree that paladins wouldn't recognize legitimate authority of such regime. They are LAWFUL and this regime IS legitimate, if evil. They would look to provide protection, pointing out extenuating circumstances etc. but would still report breaker of law to "the police".

Deciding what regime you accept and what not is NOT lawful but chaotic, it's matter of personal preference (hence chaotic). Different would be stopping execution on the spot (unless law dictates otherwise), torture etc.

Autumn

First Post
I can't agree with that Neurotic. What's 'legitimate' about an army of demons invading and imposing their vile whims arbitrarily on the hapless subjects of an entire plane?

On the contrary, I'd say anybody with any kind of streak of lawfulness would refuse to recognize them as a legitimate authority. You'd have to be wildly chaotic to accept that as business as usual.

Lawful people still have some choice in what they do. Lawfulness doesn't mean blind obedience to any and every self-proclaimed authority figure you cross paths with.

Remove ads