• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

False Life and Detect Evil

IndyPendant

First Post
On the other hand--and speaking as a weekly GM of 6+ years--it's absurd to have a character lose his Exalted status over a Death Watch. Now, admittedly we don't know the details of the situation--did the GM warn the player after he stated his char cast the spell that he would lose his exalted status? If I were the GM, I would have assumed the player just did not know about it being an Evil spell--I was not aware of that myself until I read a discussion about it here at ENWorld a while back.

Your response, frankthedm, seems to imply that if the player states he cast the spell, regardless of the circumstances, the GM is right and proper to then destroy the character outright (by removing his exalted status). That would be an example of adversarial GMing, which I hope most GMs outgrow with puberty.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Exalted Status is a Privilege

IndyPendant said:
On the other hand--and speaking as a weekly GM of 6+ years--it's absurd to have a character lose his Exalted status over a Death Watch.
It seems reasonable to me (esp. without a houserule):

"A character who willingly and willfully commits an evil act loses all benefits from his exalted feats" (BoED, p. 39).

Deathwatch has the [Evil] descriptor and employs " ... foul sight granted by the powers of unlife ...." (PHB, p. 217).

-Samir Asad (TM)

The Thayan Menace

First Post
¿Qué?

IndyPendant said:
Your response, frankthedm, seems to imply that if the player states he cast the spell, regardless of the circumstances, the GM is right and proper to then destroy the character outright (by removing his exalted status). That would be an example of adversarial GMing, which I hope most GMs outgrow with puberty.
Personal attacks aside, an exalted PC stripped of their status " ... regains these benefits if she attones for her violations" (BoED, p. 39).

-Samir

frankthedm

First Post
IndyPendant said:
If the player is competent enough to get 6 HP out of a cantrip, I have the sinking feeling the player knew full well the spell had the evil descriptor and if so the player is the one who intitiated the "adversarial" play because the player thinks the spell should be changed and cast it expecting to put the DM on the spot, forcing the choice of

1. stripping the exalted status.

2. or house ruling the spell.

Last edited:

Ditch

First Post
I really don't mean to hijack a thread, but the OP's concern brings up another good question: would detect evil notice anything about a neutral cleric who has Deathwatch going as a buff? I guess I'm just not sure if the [evil] descriptor for spells is residual after the casting, or only during the casting, or not at all. Maybe just casting it is an evil act and there would be nothing to detect (since the cleric himself isn't evil).

My old Doomguide (clr 10/dmg 10) of Kelemvore wore a ring that had a continuous affect of Deathwatch. In hindsight, I'm not sure I would have chosen to wear it.

Staffan

Legend
Evil spells and items show up on Detect Evil, using the same scale as Undead. I'm guessing that the ring was made at the lowest caster level (1), so it would radiate a faint aura of evil. It will also leave behind a lingering aura for 1d6 rounds.

Gestalt

First Post
IndyPendant said:
On the other hand--and speaking as a weekly GM of 6+ years--it's absurd to have a character lose his Exalted status over a Death Watch.

This scenario is particulary strange because
d20srd.org said:
A cleric can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one).

I'm pretty sure this is campaign dependant, though - Eberron clerics behave differently.

frankthedm

First Post
That is the part of the "senario" that does seem "off". But, the Healer is in the mini handbook and i cannot confirm how it works ATM.

Jubilee

First Post
As far as I know, the healer has no restriction against casting "evil" spells, and deathwatch is on the spell list. It doesn't take much for a healer to heal 6 with a zero level spell - the healer's first or 2nd class ability is to add his or her charisma bonus to all conjuration (healing) spells - A decent charisma + cloak of charisma will easily give +5 to cure minor wounds..

/ali

Remove ads