• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

False Life (Necro Spell)

ARandomGod

First Post
False life is a pretty good spell... And I've never used it before, as I generally specialize and I've always gotten rid of necomancy before.

Now, looking closely at the spell, I don't see what's to stop a caster from casting this multiple times, and getting multiple benifits from the spell stacked one on the other. Well, other than a prudent DM call. So, tell me what I'm missing, (or realize how great it would be for a tenth level caster to cast THIS spell 5 times in a row!)

From the SRD:
False Life
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level or until discharged; see text
You harness the power of unlife to grant yourself a limited ability to avoid death. While this spell is in effect, you gain temporary hit points equal to 1d10 +1 per caster level (maximum +10).
Material Component: A small amount of alcohol or distilled spirits, which you use to trace certain sigils on your body during casting. These sigils cannot be seen once the alcohol or spirits evaporate.

I feel that there HAS to be a rule stopping this, but I can't see what it is. Is there a simple rule that says that temporary hit points never stack, thereby making my vampiric touch horribly nerfed until I lose my false life? (And also mostly preventing me from using that spell back to back?)

My character right now, necromancer level 12 with a high int and some pearls of power, can cast seven second level spells a day (one has to be necromantic). What's my DM going to say when I wake up one day and state: OK, I spend seven rounds granting myself an additional 140 temporary hit points for the majority of the day. Other than "Wow... I'm houseruling THAT right out. Pick different spells for today if you want."

Thanee

First Post
Well, other than the fact, that there is a rule about the non-stacking of temporary hit points, there is really nothing stopping you from doing it. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Actually, the rule you're looking for is that multiple castings of the same spell overlap.

It's the same rule that says you can't Cause Fear something into running away - though you could CF and then Intimidate.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thanee said:
What's bizarre about that?

Well, the normal stacking rule is that like doesn't stack; unlike stacks.

The rule for temporary hit points - according to the 3E Main FAQ, anyway, which is the only place I've seen a rule for temporary hit points - is that temporary hit points from the same source stack, but temporary hit points from different sources don't (however, multiple instances of the same spell are considered different sources).

-Hyp.

ARandomGod

First Post
Thanee said:
What's bizarre about that?

Bye
Thanee

Well, I'd say that it's a rule akin to a rule about non stacking of non-temporary hit points. And, looking at such a rule it would make casting vampiric touch relatively nerfed

"You drain 6 HP, but you've still got 9 temporary hit points from false life, so they evaporate."

That seems to be an interpretation that's not needed for balance. Especially if the caster in question relies heavily on vampiric touch type spells...
(But I suppose I *should* have known that already! Ah well, in order to "rely heavily" there has to be a number of researched spells anyhow... not too hard to say that they do what the GM and I want them to do.)

A spell stating that multiple castings of the same spell overlap makes more ... sense, balance wise. And if there weren't such a rule, I'd have to make one for this False Life rule. I mean, if you've lost say, 16 or your twenty, you should be able to refill to 20, sure... but casting it twice to get 40? That's a bit much!

Anywho... Yes, Hyp, what makes you think that it's bizarre?

Last edited:

ARandomGod

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Well, the normal stacking rule is that like doesn't stack; unlike stacks.

The rule for temporary hit points - according to the 3E Main FAQ, anyway, which is the only place I've seen a rule for temporary hit points - is that temporary hit points from the same source stack, but temporary hit points from different sources don't (however, multiple instances of the same spell are considered different sources).

-Hyp.

Hrmm...
That is an odd rule.
And it would suggest that false life indeed could be cast many times in a row to effect.
Which makes me wonder further what the rule was made to stop.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
ARandomGod said:
And it would suggest that false life indeed could be cast many times in a row to effect.

No - that's multiple instances of the same spell, which count as different sources.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads