• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Familiar rules

It seems a nice enough way to deal with the balance issues, and has some flavor, but basically makes the familiar into an Achille's heel with hardly any benefits.

Capture a familiar and you can blackmail a mage into doing anything, since you have a simple way to reduce him to 0 HP just by locking kitty in a box with a bottle of poison.

I'm leaning towards something more like having familiar/companion as an additional item slot where you get some bonuses when you have them around, but if they're lost or killed, it's like losing a hard-to-get magic item.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Heh, this is almost thread necromancy.

As far as 'hardly any benefit' goes, for a feat you're getting a power that is more powerful than what it is replacing, plus the benefit of a feat's worth of bonuses, plus the ability to increase the power of it over time.

And capturing a familiar wouldn't be very easy. Even if it's by itself, it has the master's defences and the ability to attack and escape. If it's with it's master, then it's not targetable, so you'd have to kill the master or capture him to get at the familiar, at which point you have the power to kill him anyway.

Liminosse

First Post
I like this version of summon familiar. It takes feats to make them great. Which i don't really like most of the heroic feats for my wizard anyway. Perhaps you could add something along the lines of "The connection between the familiar and the master can be severed as a standard action" at which point the familiar disappears back to wherever it came from and can maybe be summoned back by the same or a separate ritual used to bind it in the first place. Just a thought, great addtion :)

Liminosse Starstone

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Hmm... although I like the idea, it would pretty much eliminate the chance of it being used to harm the master. Part of me says that's probably a good thing, but then again I kinda like that there's an inherent risk associated with having a familiar.

Maybe it can be a last ditch manoeuvre that costs a healing surge for him to reconstitute the familiar. Hmm.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads