• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fans of mature (vile) material, what do you want?

fnork de sporg

First Post
I want to speak about gore. I don't think anyone here has said they don't want to see to gore. It's just that just gore is not enough. It has to have a point. It has to have meaning behind. Innards and decay are cool but they aren't "vile" just by being there.

But once you have that reason, that compelling soul-hurting hook, then by all means have buckets of gore and eyeballs and severed heads.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
How about finishing your story hour as part of your vile content :p

Seriously, I have many ideas for ya, but am at work. I'll try and post or PM you when I get home, or in the next few days.

smootrk

First Post
Expand your thoughts to include concepts included in the Heroes of Horror book.

Taint (or your own variant on the concept).
Redesigned Fear mechanic that works.
Monsters (including the idea for re-designed monsters which include variant mechanics)
Player options (including options for the players fighting against the vile/tainted)

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Great feedback! Thanks to all.

I have certainly learned a lot about what you want or expect from a vile/mature product, and I along with Blackdirge Publishing shall endeavor to give it to you.

A good number of posts mentioned that a sourcebook on vile and evil items would be useful, and I can tell you that such a book is definitely in the works.

Its a fine line to walk, between cheesy, over the top schlock and truly horrific and atmospheric evil, and I appreciate all of your suggestions and advice.

Please fell free to continue to post here if you have any more ideas, or even drop me a note at blackdirge@hotmail.com.

BD

Tristissima

Explorer
Degradation. The key to vile is degradation, de-humanization, and the destruction of all that is bright: hope, faith, charity, love.

And all because YOU WANT IT.

And when the heroes/PCs offer you escape, you REFUSE.

Because this is what you enjoy, being an object (as in a table, not as in for companionship) or a victim.

Because you chose this.

Because this is the only life that fits.

NOT because you were enchanted or bespelled, but because this is what makes you feel good.

It's about choosing what is unhealthy, what is disgusting and strange, all the while knowing that.

Look at quite a bit of BDSM literature for inspiration here.

-------------------------OR-------------------------

It's about your worst sin saving your life.

Not by chance, as in time spent at the brothel saving you from the magical cataclysm.

No, not like that.

Unfortunately, I'm about to go to bed, so I'm low on off-the-cuff examples of this one :)

-----------------------OR--------------------------

It's about your virtues putting you in an untenable situation.

The exact opposite of the above, this means making virtue violate itself, or at least other virtues.

----------------------------------------------------------

The trouble is that vileness loses its oomph when it's compelled, and players can sniff that stuff coming. Subtlety is key.

Also NPCs who embody these points.

A vile world is one in which right, wrong, empowering, demeaning, are NOT opposites, but rather hazy dreamlands bordering on each other. The gore serves that.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I can think of one thing I DON'T want to see... yet more demons and devils.

What I WOULD like to see is perhaps a real-world exploration of some of the more "disturbing" religions, such as Satanism, Voudoun (the Black Magic kind), or any other cult that has/had a real negative connotation and WHY they're so feared... and then translate to D&D. ;)

Dragon had a wonderful article about the Seven Deadly Sins and how to introduce it/them into your campaign. That was a VERY well-done article and on par with what I'd like to see in your upcoming endeavours.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads