• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy America

Kaiyosama

First Post
Okay, so we have fantasy europe, fantasy africa and fantasy asia...
but do we have fantasy americana... as in natives? This includes both north and south america.

Also, what about artic fantasy and fantasy australia (again, native)?

Well?

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Crothian said:
Second edition had that Forgotten Realms place that was loosely based off of the Aztecs
yup. it's called Maztica

fantasy australia would be 'fourecks' in the Pratchett Discworld books :D

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I'm sure I'm not helping, but fantasy America, as in not so native... fantasy in a pioneering colonial America sense is written up nicely by Orson Scott Card. I only just finished reading a short story by the guy, but I'm impressed enough and plan to dip into the novels he's got.

Again, I'm sure I'm not helping.

Kaiyosama

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
I'm sure I'm not helping, but fantasy America, as in not so native... fantasy in a pioneering colonial America sense is written up nicely by Orson Scott Card. I only just finished reading a short story by the guy, but I'm impressed enough and plan to dip into the novels he's got.

Again, I'm sure I'm not helping.

You haven't read Ender's Game?!:eek:

colonial was something I hadn't though about, but it works for me... besides it should have some stuff in it.

any more?

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
posted by Dr. Midnight
fantasy in a pioneering colonial America sense is written up nicely by Orson Scott Card

These are the Alvin Maker series. The first three books of this series are great. They have a lot of Native American/European Folk elements that revolve around mystical or supernatural powers ("knacks"). The next two in the series, however, aren't quite as good.

Another fantasy series that has a strong "Fantasy America" presentation are the "Chosen of the Changeling" by Gregory Keyes. They contain a good deal of Native American cosmology combined with Mongolian/Celtic/Arabic influences. Considering that Dr. Keyes is an Anthropologist.

In my opinion, basically, Fantasy finds its roots in the mythology and stories of various cultures. Take those stories, add elements of realism, and your have Fantasy.

Oh, and as far as d20, the only one I know of is Aztecs:Empire of the Dying Sun. Get past the cheesecake cover and it is pretty good. In 2nd ed. there was Maztica (mentioned above) and I an old article in Dragon (#204 "The People") detailing the use of N. American Indian cultures for use with D&D.

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Dr Midnight said:

I'll echo Kaiyosama -- you haven't read Ender's Game? DROP WHAT YOU ARE DOING, get a copy of the book, and read it.

It's a great book. :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads