Fantasy and Guns

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Lots of modern fantasy, for sure.

Pirates of the Carribean style stuff (I'm sure there must be novels of that style) is pure fantasy and flintlocks).

Tim Power's On Stranger Tides is pretty much the genre standard, so much so thar PotC stole the name and cherrypicked the plot....

I think gnus are an interesting addition to a fantasy setting. Most authors would use horses, or even the more common gazelle, but gnus really add a certain quirky charm. I personally would love to write a setting where each PC is encouraged to have one, possibly two gnus, which they can make use of in combat. The trick would be balancing them. Currently they seem a little weak:

hyenas-lions-gnu.jpg

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
If you count Wilburs Smith's River God as vaguely fantasy (which I do even if it is historic fiction) then that story includes a pivotal use of gnus against the enemy

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks to y'all, I now have an image in my mind of anthropomorphic Thompson's Gazelles armed with- you guessed it- Tommy Guns.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The trick would be balancing them. Currently they seem a little weak:

The problem isn't that they're weak. Gnus can be quite powerful. But, they have a low Dex, so keeping them balanced is a challenge. They keep falling off the tightrope...

Remove ads