• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Anime Movies?

I feel that I must second several of the above titles and mention both Those Who Hunt Elves and both of the Vampire Hunter D titles.

Also of interest, Guardians of Order will be putting out their anime game (Big Eyes, Small Mouth) in a d20 format this year.

Tsyr

Explorer
Some others:

Legend of Lenmear

El Hazard

Bastard

Maze

Of those, LoL isn't so hot... It's just sorta typical 80-s ish anime. El Hazard is technicly fantasy, but it's... not typical tolkien-esq by any stretch of the imagination. Also very much a comedy. Bastard is quite good... Very high-powered, would be good inspiration for an epic-level campaign. Maze is again comedy, and not recomended for children due to an over-abundance of sex-related humor and gags, but it's pretty good. Has magic-users, bio-mechanical mecha-like things, etc.

gtJormungand

First Post
Berserk is one of the best fantasy animes, IMHO. It blends tons of melee combat with an invisible, intangible aspect of magic and destiny.

Uzumaki

First Post
Berserk is probably one of the best anime in general. It's worth noting to say that the manga continues for several volumes beyond the end of the anime, which is good, because you'll hate the ending of the TV series.

eris404

Explorer
Depends on how you define fantasy, too. I don't like anime, but I love the films of Hayao Miyazaki. I especially like Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa and Spirited Away.

NiTessine

Explorer
Hmm. I'd say Mahou Senshi Riui is the best fantasy anime ever, though it's probably been named here already, under an English name that I don't know...

Angelsboi

First Post
I havent seen that much anime but Cowboy Bebop rocks (see my avatar? Ein!) as does Escaflowne (the DVDs. Not the Fox TV Show or the Movie).

Tsyr

Explorer
Angelsboi said:
I havent seen that much anime but Cowboy Bebop rocks (see my avatar? Ein!) as does Escaflowne (the DVDs. Not the Fox TV Show or the Movie).

Beg to differ. The movie is quite good.

Durifern

First Post
Like eris404 said: everything by Miyazaki is just great, however only Mononoke Hime fits in somewhat if you´re looking for traditional fantasy. Nausicaa´s setting is more of a "Jules Vernes" setting.
Another word on Nausiacaa: the movie pales in comparison to the manga! It´s easily one of the best mangas out there imho.

Remove ads