• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Concepts: An OGL Fantasy Saga Project

Flynn

First Post
Sorcica said:
If the racial Talent is a free Talent, I think it's okay to let humans get more raises. If the other races have to spend a talent to get an ability boost, I think they get shafted.

I concur. I'd rather see humans get a talent that allows them to increase one ability score of their choice by 2 points, per the current human racial paragon class ability, Ability Boost.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon

Then everyone gets the same number of raises, be it one or two, per 4 levels.

With Regards,
Flynn

nobodez

Explorer
Flynn said:
I concur. I'd rather see humans get a talent that allows them to increase one ability score of their choice by 2 points, per the current human racial paragon class ability, Ability Boost.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon

Then everyone gets the same number of raises, be it one or two, per 4 levels.

With Regards,
Flynn

As much as I'd love to see the 2/4 ability increase, it breaks the idea of backwards compatability, which is, I believe, something you were striving for.

And I like the idea of integrating the paragon levels as talents, if that's even on the table, since that's what, I think, you were headed for with the racial talents anyway (more elven, more dwarven, more human, etc.).

EditorBFG said:
I need opinions on a couple of things. First, here is the Talent Path for gnomes: Does this work for those of us who weighed in on the gnome discussion?

Looks good. Would all gnomes get Mysterious Ways as their free talent, or would the player be free to choose any talent in the path without a prerequisite?

EditorBFG

Explorer
nobodez said:
As much as I'd love to see the 2/4 ability increase, it breaks the idea of backwards compatability, which is, I believe, something you were striving for.

And I like the idea of integrating the paragon levels as talents, if that's even on the table, since that's what, I think, you were headed for with the racial talents anyway (more elven, more dwarven, more human, etc.).
More than on the table: the paragon levels are a big part of what we have already implemented! So yeah, all the paragon stuff is already talents.

Humans won't have their own talent path, however. Instead, they get the chance to invest more in their class. And it looks like I am outvoted on the human 2 stat bump as opposed to other races, but you guys have all given very valid reasons.
Would all gnomes get Mysterious Ways as their free talent, or would the player be free to choose any talent in the path without a prerequisite?
This is what I am trying to work out. Basically, Ways of the Forest is the default for Forest Gnomes, and there are other talents for Svirfneblin and the "Gnome of Zurich"/Illuminatus type idea you proposed-- that idea amused me too much not to get in. Should the default Gnome be a Rock Gnome, required to take Mysterious Ways? Or, should the Rock Gnome be that way, but have another subrace (a nomadic gnome, perhaps, based on the sort of traveling Gypsy archetype that has begun to emerge) that chooses from any talent without prereqs? Maybe we could switch out one of the base gnome bonus feats for a weaker one for this subrace, to balance out the "Road Gnome'" having more of choice. Hmmm...

Mokona

First Post
EditorBFG said:
And it looks like I am outvoted on the human 2 stat bump as opposed to other races...
I was gently shocked, and pleased, to read the rule in Saga that all characters get to improve two scores by +1 instead of only one.

I've always felt that the stat bumps were too seldom to be noticable or exciting for players. Wizards especially tended to put 100% of their stat increases into their core casting Ability score. This made the stat increase less of an option that could distinguish two different characters. Also a +1 seems so small that it's like you get a +2 every eight levels. That feels really really really slow! (We know, of course, that increasing a stat by +1 doesn't matter much for half the times.)

Getting two raises feels a lot more impactful and exciting without causing massive power creep. The second raise also allows focused character classes to diversify with their second choice in ways that will actually vary from one character in the class to another.

Yeah, I'm in favor of having all races increase 2 stats by one every 4th level. Just not that only humans should be allowed this. Sorry if that was unclear

Flynn

First Post
Hey, Guys,

Does anyone know of an OGC precedence for the two stat bump every four levels?

Just trying to provide back-up for decisions when we can,
Flynn

EditorBFG

Explorer
So, are people okay with the two stat bump AND each non-human race having a talent that grants a +2 to a specific ability? Or is that too much?

Also: We could also do a +1 every two levels, and not permit anyone to bump the same stat twice in a row (if you bump Str at 2nd, you cannot bump it again at 4th, you have to wait until 6th). Probably less cool, I'm just throwing out possible options in case we can't justify the Saga method as OGC.

drothgery

First Post
EditorBFG said:
So, are people okay with the two stat bump AND each non-human race having a talent that grants a +2 to a specific ability? Or is that too much?

Really, the Saga-style two bumps per 4 levels only makes sense if you're ditching or massivley scaling back stat boosting magic items and spells. If you're completely killing them, or making them very expensive/high-level things, then a +2 stat single-use talent should be fine. On top of D&D-style stat boosting items... anything beyond the d20 SRD one bump/4 levels is too much.

Remove ads