• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Concepts: An OGL Fantasy Saga Project

Energy Drain and Level/XP loss effects were removed on purpose. These would likely be represented by attacks that affet the condition track directly, and could probably cause a persistant condition.

In regards to Spell Resistance I would think that racial SR as the Drow would have would be represented by appropriate defense bonus. i.e. +1 racial bonus to willpower and reflex defenses. Though this could be represented by a racial talent tree aswell.

The others are spell like effects that would largely be resolved in the manner they always have been, just within the SWSE framework. i.e. The ghoul strikes the hero and immediately makes an attack against the heros WILL defense. If the ghoul succeeds the paralysis takes effect.

Flynn

First Post
Regarding the conversion of Spell Resistance...

Good Afternoon, All:

In terms of converting SR for creatures, since there's already a power check, presumably at half character level to keep it in line with Save Scores, we should not have a second roll for the SR. The same power check should be compared against both.

In 3E/v3.5, the caster makes a caster level check against the SR. This is not modified by ability scores, but is modified by Spell Penetration feats. When the caster casts a spell, it is first compared against SR, and then the saving throw, if needed. In this case, SR is against a level check, so the progression is 1:1.

Okay, following a similar logic for Fantasy Concepts, the caster casts a spell (making a power check as part of the process), and compares the power check first against SR and then against the appropriate Save Score. Since the power check is 2:1 on progression, the SR should be reduced by the same level, to allow us to compare apples and apples, not apples and oranges. The conversion would then be 10 + (SR-10)/2.

Creatures whose Save Scores exceed their SR receive no benefit from SR against magic. Hmmmm. I wonder if there are any monsters whose base SR would be lower than their Save Scores (10 + HD/2)? A quick check of Demons indicates that almost all the Demons would have an SR that is one lower than their base Save Scores.

From the SRD:
SRD said:
(The defender’s spell resistance is like an Armor Class against magical attacks.)

Now, having eliminated the prior thought, I can look at the alternate suggestion of replacing SR with a simple modifier to the Save Scores, and the quote above seems to emphasize that, too. Looking at some basic percentages, it appears that the average modifier to reflect basic chances of overcoming SR and saves would be around +4. Given that the proper Saga-inspired modifier would be a +5, it would seem that a relatively balanced conversion of percentage chances would be simply to allow any creature with SR to simply add a +5 modifier to all Save Scores for spells to which SR applies.

I'll do some investigation, but all in all, I think that might be a simple conversion that should work out well.

What are your thoughts?

With Regards,
Flynn

Nine Hands

Explorer
Flynn said:
Good Afternoon, All:

<snip>

Now, having eliminated the prior thought, I can look at the alternate suggestion of replacing SR with a simple modifier to the Save Scores, and the quote above seems to emphasize that, too. Looking at some basic percentages, it appears that the average modifier to reflect basic chances of overcoming SR and saves would be around +4. Given that the proper Saga-inspired modifier would be a +5, it would seem that a relatively balanced conversion of percentage chances would be simply to allow any creature with SR to simply add a +5 modifier to all Save Scores for spells to which SR applies.

I'll do some investigation, but all in all, I think that might be a simple conversion that should work out well.

What are your thoughts?

With Regards,
Flynn

I think the +5 bonus is probably easier in the long run to manage, plus you don't have to compare two values against a single die roll either and that will cut down time at the table.

Nine Hands

Explorer
Flynn said:
Good Afternoon, All:

I would like some input on how to address the following special abilities under Saga. I just don't remember if these are covered in SWSE, and so I may have to consider alternative approaches (or just leave them as they stand). Please share your thoughts on the following in a Fantasy Saga system:

Energy Drain and Negative Levels

Fear

Gaze Attacks

Level Loss

Paralysis

Spell Resistance

Thanks In Advance,
Flynn

Energy Drain and Negative Levels should affect the Condition Track directly IMO.

Fear should work similar to the standard D&D effects but more streamlined, remove the Shaken Condition and make the target flee if they are affected.

Paralysis can affect the Condition Track, with the last condition being that you are paralyzed for the normal duration.

Level Loss can be a persistent Condition that is only removed when you gain another level. This allows for coming back from the dead being difficult but not impossible and there is no permanent loss.

Nine Hands

Explorer
graylion said:
I like the feat in the spirit of what it is should be for. I think that power gamers will look to use it to break the rules or bend them.

Regards

I like the feat but only if you can take it just at 1st level and only once. Access to one talent tree is not really that powerful. Heck I may use something similar in my SWSE game.

Nine Hands

Explorer
Flynn said:
Good Morning, All:

I would like to suggest the following Weapon Proficiency feat write-up to capture the use of Simple, Martial and Exotic weapons as seems to be the desired concensus here. It definitely captures the flavor of the Saga approach, while maintaining the Simple/Martial/Exotic distinctions that we have agreed to implement.

With Regards,
Flynn

The three groupings is pretty cool although I would not be averse to seeing Weapon Group Proficiencies used instead (from Unearthed Arcana, which is OGL).

Note the penalty for not being proficient should be -5 to keep consistent with the -1/-2/-5/-10 rule.

Nine Hands

Explorer
Flynn,

Are you guys looking for someone to proofread your stuff. I know its not finished yet, but I've been proofreading stuff for Dream Scarred Press for a couple of months now and I'm more than willing to lend a hand.

Just thought I would offer :)

Flynn

First Post
Nine Hands said:
The three groupings is pretty cool although I would not be averse to seeing Weapon Group Proficiencies used instead (from Unearthed Arcana, which is OGL).

Note the penalty for not being proficient should be -5 to keep consistent with the -1/-2/-5/-10 rule.

Current OGL is -4, and I've included an optional rule to change those to -5. This protects us legally, and the implementation is as simple as saying you use the Combat Consistency Optional Rule. Please bear in mind that, for legal reasons, we cannot simply duplicate Saga word for word, so there are some differences simply to provide protection in legal matters. Where the OGL backs us (and you'd be surprised where it does and how), there's a high degree of similarity. Where the OGL does not, we have had to pursue alternate means of arriving at similar results, and I think we've done a good job of it, too, but I'm biased, I must admit.

As for weapon groups, I wanted UA weapon groups, but my partner in this venture does not agree, and I stopped fighting the matter after several days of fruitless discussions. The discussion is somewhere in the first five or six pages of this thread. You are free to substitute them in your home games, though. (To be honest, that's what I'm going to do. :) )

Enjoy,
Flynn

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads