• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Concepts: An OGL Fantasy Saga Project

Flynn

First Post
EditorBFG said:
So, which do you guys like? Penalty Level or Burden? Because, so far, they're the only terms I can think of that are generic enough.

I'd prefer Penalty Level, since Burden implies Encumbrance to me. I hope we hear from others on the subject soon. :)

With Regards,
Flynn

Nine Hands

Explorer
EditorBFG said:
The only reason we can't do this is because we want to include abilities like what paladins can do in D&D now. We can't replace Smite Evil with "Smite Whatever Abstract Concept of Negative Philosophy You and the GM Agree On"-- if we did, the description would read like nonsense. Better we include some kind of rule for you to tinker with or replace than leave an empty slot you're required to fill.

Is there anything wrong with adjusting Smite to cover more than just evil? How about having it as Smite Foes, allowing you to smite anyone. It gets away from the problems of alignment and gives the character a little more freedom to use it.

Personally I'd like to see the Blackguard become a Talent Tree for the Paladin anyways :)

Flynn

First Post
Nine Hands said:
Is there anything wrong with adjusting Smite to cover more than just evil? How about having it as Smite Foes, allowing you to smite anyone. It gets away from the problems of alignment and gives the character a little more freedom to use it.

Personally I'd like to see the Blackguard become a Talent Tree for the Paladin anyways :)

I'd want to define the opponents of Smite by some criteria, instead of just allowing its use willy-nilly. Favored Enemy targets a specific creature type you are trained against. Smite should work on some other area, such as alignment or allegiance or nature or whatever, but it should imply a focus for the character, not just the ability to lay some damage down on whoever gets in your way.

At least, that's my perception on it.

As an aside, the Paladin isn't a core class under Fantasy Concepts but a number of abilities are available as talents for selection purposes, so you can recreate the Paladin concept under these rules.

With Regards,
Flynn

Instead of condition, health or burden or the like how about fatigue?

defined as:

fatigue: temporary loss of strength and energy resulting from hard physical or mental work; "he was hospitalized for extreme fatigue"; "growing fatigue was apparent from the decline in the execution of their athletic skills"

I think that sums it up really. :)

As far as smite/alignment is concearned what if we were to steal directly from the d20 concept of positive and negative energies. SAGA was implemented for Star Wars to begin with so why not have a similar take on the variations of light and dark. A shades of grey spectrum of motives vs. intent. "The ends may justify the means" but not always. If your opponents motives and intetions are signifigantly different from yours you may smite them. A variation of light side/dark side points would be sufficient. The "Gneech" implemented it rather well in his sword and sorcery conversion.

Just some thoughts.

Flynn

First Post
Brief Status Report...

For me, work on this project has slowed somewhat as I deal with Real Life (tm) problems, but I intend to get some more done this week, once matters are resolved.

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update from my side,
Flynn

Flynn

First Post
Status Update, 10/04/07

Good Morning, All:

The Conversion Notes - Monsters draft has been completed. I think my next section will be Conversion Notes - Spells, as I'm running out of things to work on before entering into BFGEditor's arena. I believe that BFGEditor will post an update on Races, the Talent Paths, and Magic sometime soon, as his schedule allows.

• Character Creation - General: Section completed!
  • Character Races: BFGEditor is nearing completion
  • Class-based Talent Paths: Some initial work has been done
  • Feats: Section completed!
  • Equipment: Section completed!
  • Combat: Section completed!
  • Environment & Hazards: Section completed!
  • Magic System: Some initial work has been done
  • Conversion Notes - Prestige Classes: Not yet begun.
  • Conversion Notes - Spells: Not yet begun.
  • Conversion Notes - Monsters: Section completed!

With Regards,
Flynn

Animus

Explorer
Flynn said:
Good Morning, All:

The Conversion Notes - Monsters draft has been completed. I think my next section will be Conversion Notes - Spells, as I'm running out of things to work on before entering into BFGEditor's arena. I believe that BFGEditor will post an update on Races, the Talent Paths, and Magic sometime soon, as his schedule allows.

• Character Creation - General: Section completed!
  • Character Races: BFGEditor is nearing completion
  • Class-based Talent Paths: Some initial work has been done
  • Feats: Section completed!
  • Equipment: Section completed!
  • Combat: Section completed!
  • Environment & Hazards: Section completed!
  • Magic System: Some initial work has been done
  • Conversion Notes - Prestige Classes: Not yet begun.
  • Conversion Notes - Spells: Not yet begun.
  • Conversion Notes - Monsters: Section completed!

With Regards,
Flynn

Yay! I like seeing green! So I can give you my green!

graylion

First Post
The other stats

Flynn said:
Good Afternoon, All:

I would like some input on how to address the following special abilities under Saga. I just don't remember if these are covered in SWSE, and so I may have to consider alternative approaches (or just leave them as they stand). Please share your thoughts on the following in a Fantasy Saga system:

Energy Drain and Negative Levels

Fear

Gaze Attacks

Level Loss

Paralysis

Spell Resistance

Thanks In Advance,
Flynn

Remove negative levels and energy drain transforming it to condition track.

Fear vs. Will

Gaze vs. Reflex

Level loss, gone one of the least favorite items for all players and not a great mechanic (ok get out the pencil and reduce 1 level). use the level track and focus on its time span or persistance.

Paralysis vs. Fort

Spell resistance Hmm.... +5 vs saves or +3,+1,+1, I can say one thing I like removing and combine things like AC/Reflex but I maybe to attached to spell resistance. I need to chew on spell resistance a bit.

Regards

graylion

First Post
Alignment

Flynn said:
Good Afternoon, All:

I'm writing today in regards to Alignment, that component of the rules where you indicate in broad and general terms how you will be playing your character. How would you suggest we approach that particular subject?

Should we use alignment as it appears in the SRD?

Should we use alignment as it appears in Basic D&D (i.e. Law/Neutral/Chaos, and no good-evil stuff)?

Should we use allegiances from D20 Modern and Unearthed Arcana?

Should we use nature/demeanor or vice/virtue as found in other games?

Should we do something different that the options listed above?

Should we do nothing at all in this area, and remove the concept entirely from the game?

What do you think?

With Regards,
Flynn

I have always been partial to the Palladium alignments as they are far easier to relate than D&D. My apologies my books are in storage and I do not have them at hand. Having said this in our games we do not place such a stranglehold on the D&D alignments.

Basic D&D alignment died with basic D&D.

I would like to know more about allegiances.

The WOD system spins off into other mechanics like willpower recovery. I am a big fan of the Storyteller System, but not for this function.

So in the end keep the 3 x 3 nine but drop the pressure dependency on them.

Regards

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads