Fantasy Genres

Von Ether

Legend
Dogface said:
In that case "fantasy" is the most wrong-headed term to use. You'd have to be blind to not see that. It should be called "Campbellianism".
LOL!

I think some of these subgenres have subgenres to themselves. For example, Modern (or Urban) Fantasy:

"Greyhawk 2001" -- Worlds that resemble ours, but the supernatural is an accepted part of life. I think the Hamilton vampire hunter novels fit into this.

"Pagan Conspiracy" -- The supernatural exists, but it hides itself from the mundane world for a variety of reasons, from the sting of unbelief to the fear of becoming a lab speciemen if the truth goes public. Charles de Lint and a host of books fill this niche.

"technobabble/occultnobabble" -- There is a science fiction explanation for supernatural critters, whether it be UFOs or dimensional visitors. Brian Lumbley's Vamphyr series sums this up best.

There are also some common themes in Mondern Fantasy:
Magic vs. Tech (which ususally is a metaphor for tradition vs. progress)
Things Man Should Not Know
The Pained Loss of Wonder And Mystery

argo

First Post
I'll take a crack at this.

Low Fantasy
- Fantasy in which "mundane" tasks, from simple survival to keeping the border around a single town secure, are the order of the day.
- Magic may or may not be common but whatever it can do it cannot solve these "everyday" problems, like finding water or healing grevious wounds.
- Characters are meant to be heroic to the extent that they refuse to give up hope despite apparently overwhelming odds.
- Good examples would be Darksun

High Fantasy
- Fantasy in which grand tasks, international politics or the fufilment of ancient prophecy, take center stage. Averting or winning wars, averting doomsday plots and seting right the wrongs of the age
- Magic is usually both common and reliable. At best it can change the structure of an entire sociery but even at worst it will allow the PC's (if nobody else) to bypass many mundane concerns such as keeping stores of fresh food or having to travel long distances.
- Events usually revlove around organizations (weither they be races, churches, kingdoms or private groups and cults) as opposed to straight up "good vs evil"
- Forgotten Realms and Planescape would be iconic examples.

Epic Fantasy
- May use High or Low fantasy as a starting point but the important differences are about the attitude of the setting.
- The setting emphasises a straight up good vs evil conflict as its main motivating factor and concern for the PC's. Almost without fail the evil is of the "world threating" sort and the the PC's are of the "farmboy who is actually a destined hero" sort.
- Many DnD campaigns fall into this category.

Swords 'n Sorcery
- Often confused with Low Fantasy however there is no particular need for a world where the PC's strugle for daily life or magic is espically rare.
- Magic is reasonably common but is unreliable or requires a heavy price to work thus making it a tool only the deaprate, foolhardy or wicked employ.
- The adventurers are usually footlose/mercenary types (and frequently warrior or rouge types) who are motivated by gold and glory more than a personal stake in things. Villans are always truly vilanous (human sacrafice etc) but the "good guys" may be distinguished only by shades of grey.
- Conan is probably the iconic setting.

Dark Fantasy
- May use High or Low fantasy as a starting point but once again the important differences are all about attitude.
- The Villans and Heroes frequently use the same methods to achieve their goals and, in fact, the similarity of Hero and Villan is one of the central points of the genre.
- Frequently the genre emphasises that, no matter what the PC's do, the outcome will inevitably be bad.
- Focuses on mystical powers that are opposed to humanity: dark fey, demons, undead.

Steampunk
- Has much in common with a High Fantasy setting but replaces much (or all) of the magic with anachrocanistic pseudo-scientific technologh.
- Focuses on a society that has been transformed by these powerful forces.
- A pseudo-victorian setting is common but not required.

In addition we might also add

"Modern" Fantasy
- Fantasy elements are incopropated in a modern or near future world. Elves with machine guns, etc.
- The Urban Arcana setting for Modern.

Science Fantasy
- Sci-Fi traditionally eschews "mystical" elements (except maybe psionics) but Science Fantasy re-introduces these issues. ie: the Force in Star Wars.

Later.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Klaus said:
Thundarr is good ol' Sword & Sorcery.

I think Thundarr would be more like scifi/fantasy. It was all post apocalyptic and had lasers, cars, robots, machines, and such. Thundarr rocked BTW. They should totally redo it.

X

xnosipjpqmhd

Nice lists.

I think there is another sub-genre not yet mentioned: Weird Fantasy, in which the world and everything in it is completely disassociated with Earth, Earth mythology, or any time period on Earth. Talislanta would be a prime example. I personally would put the Elric novels here, too.

One of the defining traits of weird fantasy would be a tendancy for everything to be vastly alien from other accepted sub-genres of fantasy.

This definition, however, could mean that a very popular and emulated weird fantasy setting could be "un-weirded" by its very popularity. Some of the things in the Elric books have become accepted conventions in fantasy RPGs, but they were pretty radical when written.

ironregime

Dark Jezter

First Post
I'll take my own crack at this. :D

Space Fantasy: Achieving popularity in the form of theatrical serials during the 1930s and 1940s, Space Fantasy features heroism and good versus evil in a futuristic outer space setting. This genre of fantasy could be considered a subgenre of science fiction, but there's a lot less emphasis on the science than the fiction. Like heroic fantasy, Space Fantasy usually features larger than life characters, heroic exploits, villains who are very clearly evil, and its own form of "magic" (for example: the Force). Examples of this genre include Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, and Star Wars (which was heavily inspired by the old Space Serials from the 30s and 40s).

Last edited:

Zander

Explorer
argo said:
Steampunk... "Modern" Fantasy... Science Fantasy
While I mostly agree with your schema, I would class these three as hybrids of fantasy and other genres, not as sub-genres of fantasy alone. Steampunk, as you point out, is a cross between fantasy and Victoriana. Modern fantasy is a cross between modern fiction and fantasy. Science fantasy is a cross between science fiction and fantasy.

Note that this does not preclude the crossing of sub-genres of different genres, such as an admixture of modern fantasy with comic horror to get Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Last edited:

Remove ads