FANTASY GROUNDS Virtual Tabletop's D&D License!

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Check out their D&D wares here. They mention that "The DMG is still in the works, along with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat and Princes of the Apocalypse." and that "The basic 5E ruleset will continue to be provided directly within Fantasy Grounds to all licenses. These purchasable options add a new graphics theme that is officially branded, along with the library module support, and whatever other enhancements we could squeeze in, like tokens or portraits or decals."

Here's the announcement:
We are proud to announce that we are officially licensed to sell D&D source material and content inside of Fantasy Grounds! This is the beginning of a great new partnership between SmiteWorks and Wizards of the Coast that will benefit gamers worldwide.

You can purchase the D&D Complete Core Class Pack with all the class, feats, spells and equipment or you can purchase individual classes only. You can also buy the monsters in packs or as the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. These products have been converted to work really tightly with Fantasy Grounds to give you the best possible gaming experience - we know you're going to love them. They contain all the great artwork and content from the official products and all the smarts and integration to work with Fantasy Grounds. Not only will you get the same content that can be found in print, but you also get an exciting new Fifth Edition theme, adventures and content customized specifically for ease of play inside of Fantasy Grounds.

For Dungeon Masters and players on a budget, you might pick up a Player Customization Pack and one or two Class Packs of your choice. Dungeon Masters can often get by with just the Adventure of their choice and one or two Monster Packs.

Don't forget that players can gift purchases through Steam for Dungeon Masters who have linked their license on Steam.

WOTC5EDDBASICRULES.jpg

Hollow Man

Explorer
I wonder where the races are...the class packs, the character customization pack, or they're somehow embedded in the ruleset that you get with purchase of the Fantasy Grounds license.

-HM

neobolts

Explorer
From what I can tell, the most straightforward "bulk" option for a group is Ultimate License $149 + D&D Complete Core Class Pack $49.99* + D&D Complete Core Monster Pack $49.99 = $248.98.

Ultimate states that "One License Covers All Players In a Group" on the features checklist. So if you have a static group, I think this is everything you would ever need. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

*includes the customization pack (PHB races, backgrounds, feats, etc).

I would say the pricing and layout will change because I don't see many people forking over that kind of money to be honest.

Does this have a server where you can advertise games to run and games to play in like rolld20?

mattcolville

Adventurer
Great news! Fantasy Grounds is pretty cool, though not without its own weirdness. Having all the D&D5 data parsed for me, with tokens and everything is a huge win.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Okay to clear up some errors or assumptions here. The Ultimate license ONLY allows people that do not have a license for Fantasy Grounds connect to you to play (ie the DM gets the Ultimate and the players don't have to buy it) it also includes quite a few game systems that support the game mechanics (minus fluff info).

ONLY the GM has to buy the expansion packs for 5e, once the players connect to the DM everything is shared with the players in encrypted form and they can only access the info while connected to the GM's game.

smiteworks

Explorer
Hey guys. I thought I'd post a new link that covers things a bit better.

You can play for free if your DM has the Ultimate license (one-time of $149) or subscription ($9.99 a month) or each person can buy a license (one time $39) or $3.99/mo. All of these options include a basic D&D 5E ruleset that supports the mechanics but doesn't have any licensed content, data or artwork.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/buyFG/DungeonsAndDragons.html

For just $2.99, you get the content from the basic rules plus a cool new skin with graphics inspired by the newest edition. You can always enter all your own monsters, NPCs, load your maps, etc., but now you can buy the modules with all this stuff pre-loaded at the retail price. We did try to lower the barrier to entry for many people by also splitting packs up in a few chunks. We also tried to compile a bunch of D&D portraits and tokens to include with most of the packs to give you more bang for your buck.

Currently, the Lost Mine of Phandelver is the only adventure available. Hoard of the Dragon Queen and The Rise of Tiamat are in the final stages of internal review before they get sent through the review process at Wizards of the Coast. Within each adventure, you'll find the maps pre-linked to each room's description that you can share with your players, DM only notes and links to important NPCs, treasure parcels and encounters. For encounters, these are all assigned tokens that are pre-placed on the map in their starting location. Enter a room, click the link to the encounter and press a button to place them all and auto-roll their initiative. Within the ruleset, you'll also be able to drag and drop attacks from NPCs to PCs and vice versa.

Remove ads

Remove ads