• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Imperium

Dragongrief

Explorer
Anyone played it?

I picked up the book at GenCon a few years ago. It's very detailed and thought out, but I couldn't figure out how combat could actually be done without a computer.

Has anyone else seen/played this system?

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Seen it, never heard of it getting played. Spoke with the authors a bit, and despite the super-crunchy rules they were very much on the narrative side for actually running / structuring stories.
Among other things, they wanted stories to be relatively short (one to four related adventures and done), rather than the long campaigns I find myself enjoying.
I know that combat was supposed to be avoided because, as in real life, it is dangerous and unpredictable for the characters. I suspect that the complexity is one more reason to avoid a fight.

Good luck working out how to run things. I'd advise a lot of non-combat solutions for most of the challenges.

Crothian

First Post
It was a book I was interested but then at Gen Con one year when I was talking to the guys at the booth they tried to sell it by saying how much better it was then whatever game it was that I was playing. Telling me the game I play sucks is not a good way to get me to buy something so I never did. Since then I've even seen the book for half off or more and not bought it. It just left a bad taste in my mouth.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I wrote a review of the game at some point, but I can't seem to find it now. As I recall, it had some neat ideas that suffered from very poor presentation. Notably, I recall that most of the rules weren't presented in a very straightforward manner (frex, some things were presented in an illogical order) and that the index was woefully inadequate, adding to the issue. That was the major shortcoming of the game. I recommended that, should a revised edition be printed, a new copy editor be brought in.

I recall that the game had a great (if complex) system devoted to fencing, but that little or no attention was paid to fighting styles other than fencing. I mean, there were rules for other types of combat, but fencing was its own thing and dominated the book. When I asked about why that was, I think the author told me that fencing was clearly superior to all other sword fighting styles. :erm: I took this to mean that he knew a great deal about fencing, so he capitalized on that knowledge (which is good) but failed to research other styles of combat in similar depth (which is bad).

With regard to magic, I recall it being a kind of oddball mixture of sorcery that has some historical precedent and modern paganism (particularly, there was a section or two on "candle magic" as I recall). This worked against the historical aspect of the game that the author seemed intent on establishing elsewhere in the text, but admittedly was just fine in the context of a fantasy RPG.

I kept my copy handy for use as a Medieval arms reference (the weapons pictorial was another good things about the game), but eventually sold it when I realized that I would never play it.

Dragongrief

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback.

I was looking through the different books I have trying to see what system would be fun to run for a smaller group and figured I'd take another look at it. Unless combat can be salvaged somehow, I doubt it would be this one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads