• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Sex Roleplaying Game Releases October 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
heirodule said:
Yeah, and do you think they think their games are actually in good taste?
Who's to say otherwise until having participated in it to find out? Indeed, there are fantasy novels that don't involve eroticism, but as my last post indicates, there are more than a few. Some of that stuff is amongst the best available in the genre, often far superior to the 8th-grade drivel WotC passes off as literature.

And anyone thinking that an immature mind needs this material to run an obscene game loaded with gratuitous filth needs to go back over the Core Rules a few more time. There's more than enough in there for someone with such intentions to use in such a manner (Innuendo to lure the unsuspecting girl away from her parents, Diplomacy and charm spells to seduce the married man, grappling rules and hold spells to commit murder and rape, etc.).

This material isn't for perverts or imbalanced individuals; They don't need it compared to the rules already available in the Player's Handbook to "get off" on such things.

At the same time, I do find it interesting that with all the "It's a D&D world..." arguements used to justify various behaviors and activities that it's assumed that any product that handles sex in a non-taboo manner isn't suitable material.

Tiefling

First Post
Bendris Noulg said:
Who's to say otherwise until having participated in it to find out? Indeed, there are fantasy novels that don't involve eroticism, but as my last post indicates, there are more than a few. Some of that stuff is amongst the best available in the genre, often far superior to the 8th-grade drivel WotC passes off as literature.

That's a bit insulting to 8th-graders, don't you think? :cool:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Really, folks, Erotic Fantasy has been part of the Sword & Sorcery genre for a long time. Heck, even Dracula was risque for its time. I'm more shocked by the lack of acceptance for this aspect of fantasy than I am that the book is in production.

There's a huge difference between eroticism and fetishism. The latter is closer to De Sade than Dracula.

Still, the end result probably won't be worse than a Piers Anthony novel, and many of those used to be marketed towards kids.

Simplicity

Explorer
Bulletproof said:

A.V. didn't just "come out of the closet".

He is leveraging news of his controversial lifestyle, and possibly his position at WOTC, for a controversial product for personal gain. Fans and publishers in the industry have a right to lash out at him for doing so, because he invited the criticism. He brought the personal issues up in a business context, and legitimized criticism of them.

He knew there would be controversy, and may have even planned on it for marketing reasons. No one forced him to include his "personal experiences" in a press release. He expected a backlash, and I don't feel sorry for him.

First off, so what if he's leveraging his position at WotC? He wouldn't be the first person. Monte Cook ring a bell? Sean K. Reynolds anyone? That's what the d20 license is all about... You make a name for yourself, and you can produce your own products. AV has made a name for himself in the industry, and he SHOULD be able to use it, just like everyone else has. What else is going to set a product apart if not for the author's talent?

Secondly, while he may have known that there was going to be controversy, the fact that he belongs to an S/M club was going to come out... He's writing a book of Erotic Fantasy. Don't you think someone was going to ask him why? And why shouldn't he be honest about his life? Why shouldn't he be in control of how aspects of that life come out (i.e. in the press release)?

Let me think here...
Probability that book will be big seller: Pretty low.
Probability that there will be personal and professional fallout: Pretty high.

The guy's risking his personal and professional reputation on something he believes in, and that a whole lot of people don't. That takes serious balls, whether you think it's a cheap marketing trick or not.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
trancejeremy said:
Still, the end result probably won't be worse than a Piers Anthony novel, and many of those used to be marketed towards kids.

I have vivid recollections of being a pre-teen and reading Split Infinity. That man scarred me.

TiQuinn

Simplicity said:

The guy's risking his personal and professional reputation on something he believes in, and that a whole lot of people don't. That takes serious balls, whether you think it's a cheap marketing trick or not.

Very true. Whatever you may think of him or his product, you have to admit, he's taking a big time risk.

Simplicity

Explorer
trancejeremy said:

There's a huge difference between eroticism and fetishism. The latter is closer to De Sade than Dracula.

I think you're confusing fetishism with sadism...
Dracula is quite fetishy... Neck fetishes all over the place.

Felon

First Post
Bendris Noulg said:
Indeed, these threads are starting to disturb me... It's akin to saying, "it's okay to play D&D so long as it's suitable to be part of the WGN Power Pack. Inspiration will not be obtained from Heavy Metal, Conan, Gor, Silverglass, or any other unacceptable source, be it fantasy or not, regardless of whether it's what got you into D&D or not."

Nothing more disturbing than people who think that fantasy begins with ElfQuest and ends with Pern. The gelding of fantasy literature is one of the sadder things to happen in my lifetime. Very much like Las Vegas, fantasy novels and mags used to be one the ballsiest, baudiest places in the world to escape to. Now the market's expanded to a family-oriented crowd, and with all the rugrats running around people only have the vaguest recollection of what we've traded in for a friggin' Harry Potter Happy Meal.

I recall more than a couple of Fritz Leiber's saucier Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser tales that consisted of little more than the boys traveling to the ends of the world for a good shag. Ah, them were the days.

Last edited:

rounser

First Post
He doesn't necessarily deserve any respect for that, though.

At the heart of d20 is an assumption that the tone of d20 product in general (in negative cases, poor quality products for instance, or as in this case and IMO, poorly themed products) won't reflect on D&D as a whole....or even if it does, who cares so long as we're making money. :p

mkarol

First Post
Felon said:

recollection of what we've traded in for Happy Meal fantasy.

Hear! Hear! or is it Here! Here! Oh well, in any case, thank you for your post and the implication that not every book, article, movie, or expression need be 'happy meal' safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads