• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Sports (as in Quidditch)

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
I'm just curious... everyone who has read or seen the Harry Potter books/movies knows what Quidditch is. Classic "medieval-esque" usually seem to include footraces, jousting, arena combat, and archery contests - mostly weapons-oriented, though. I guess that's kind of like baseball or (especially) football, but one would think that having magic being fairly commonplace - at the very least in the form of exotic creatures - you could come up with other sports.

For example, we have polo played on horseback. What would the equivalent three-dimensional game be if played on, say, griffins?

Or perhaps you have the equivalent of corewars - wizards summon creatures, give them instructions, and plop them into an arena against another wizard's creatures, summoned and instructed in similar fashion. The catch is: you don't get to see your opponents critters until yours are in the arena and you can't change your instructions once they enter the arena. The winner is he whose critters are able to control the arena/destroy the other creatures.

Or perhaps a high-magic game of "laser tag" where you use illusions as lasers or somesuch. Or the Disney Sword-and-the-Stone game of shapechange/polymorph (as conducted between Merlin and Madam Mym). No germs, though! ;)

Or perhaps real fantasy football, with hill giant linemen, a stone giant quarterback, hasted receivers (or even expeditious-retreated receivers), etc. Or fantasy basketball - imagine a titan trying to bend DOWN to put a ball through a 10' rim at his knees! Or even trying to catch the relatively tiny ball in the first place....

Anyway, there are some thoughts. What "fantasy sports" (if any) do you have in your games? How would they work?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Sigil said:
I'm just curious... everyone who has read or seen the Harry Potter books/movies knows what Quidditch is. Classic "medieval-esque" usually seem to include footraces, jousting, arena combat, and archery contests - mostly weapons-oriented, though. I guess that's kind of like baseball or (especially) football, but one would think that having magic being fairly commonplace - at the very least in the form of exotic creatures - you could come up with other sports.
Check the official Redhurst site for Spellflag rules -- sort of flag football, but magical. There's also a freebie adventure involving someone rigging games.

And doesn't Complete Arcane have some fantasy sports, or am I thinking of another magic-user supplement?

Remove ads