• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Websites Wanted

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Sialia said:
So, who can point me to another site that has "style"?
Especially, I'm looking for good sites that convey "quasi-European medieval fantasy" style.

This might not be quite up to the level you are looking for (I'm not all that experienced with web site design, and thus decided for a "simpler is better" philosophy...), but I did use lots of medieval and Renaissance-style art for Urbis

Wolfspirit

First Post
Hey, I was reading some of the stories, and there was a Ð character in several of them. It appears when I read them on two different computers, so I don't think it's a missing character on my part.

If you'd like I could go through and find all the instances, I was just wondering if that's a place where you're planning on putting a picture or something ;). If nothing else, "Find on this page" gets them good, but that might be a waste of time for you.

I'll look at it more when I get back from Dinner.

Sialia

First Post
Wolfspirit--thanks! No no, do not trouble yourself, I can fix that very easily and globally from here, now that I know it exists.

There were a few characters that had a little trouble coming over from my helper's textfiles--mostly smartquote kind of things. I thought I had caught all of them, but apparently not.

Let me know if you find any more.

Also, I have found a trivially easy workaround for the getting to the next story chunk problem. The new navigational aide is up on the Eversink and White Kingdom story chunks.

Sigh. No one is ever going to read my cute synopses and look at the pretty pictures again.

I may have to kill the episode list pages, if I can't think of any other good use for them.

Sialia

First Post
Ickity-ackity--it is fixed. (Was trying to be a hyphen)

Please let me know of every typo you find. I loathe typos.

If you see a pattern like that, just send me the gist--I have a really wonderful editor program that let's me fix things like that pretty much instantly.

Also, if you are browsing the web without Javascript (you have my pity) you may have funky stuff happen or find that you can't get to things--please let me know if that occurs and I'll do what I can to give you straightforward html workarounds.

mythago

Hero
Correct me if I'm misremembering, but isn't it possible to have server-side scripts that detect the browser, and if it's not Java-ful (or if Javascript is disabled) it can redirect to an alternate page?

Sialia

First Post
Hmm. Doable, but I'd have to write the alternate pages, right?

While I'm soliciting advice, somebody point me to a good online tutorial on CSS.

I've got the basics, but I'm trying to do some stuff to clean up my tables and I'm driving myself nuts with margins and padding and width and the like, and I need to review the subtleties.

My professor's only bad call this semester (apart from letting me in her class) was drilling the heck out of us in building tables in html, and then the following week saying, now go do it in css instead.

I can jump through all kinds of hoops in html, but finding the css equivalents is crazy making.

So far the best resource I'e got is http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_reference.asp#table

which gives me a lot of the commands, but precious little explanation fo what they do. I'm getting weary of "try it and see what it does."

And what the heck is the equivalent for the all important valign command??

Sialia

First Post
Ashy--I've just returned from a visit to your site.

I am . . . lost.

Utterly destroyed.

I will now go forth and consider wisdom and beauty vaster than my imagination.

(The apprentice kneels in abject awe of the master and then goes to drown her inadequacies in a bottle of Robitussin. And her germs, which are still more in need of drowning.)

clvrmonkey

First Post
Sialia said:
Hmm. Doable, but I'd have to write the alternate pages, right?

Once you go to a database driven site this is actually much easier. On my site (now defunct) using a database, xml, css, and xslt there is a view for pretty much anything you want. It's particulalry nice for presenting articles and such in a printer friendly format, but I also have options for no javascript and text-only browsers. And all with only one source of content.

Another site I'm working on uses the same combination of technologies along with cookies and a user database to allow users to lay things out how they want them.

Wolfspirit

First Post
In the "Brindle Reformed" page, there's a ŽgŽ ,er, characterish thing. I'm assuming that it's supposed to be for "protege", but you might want to correct it.

*edit* the same symbol is in Kingdom Come 1, probably trying to say decor. I'm guessing that it's another one of those special character goofs.

Oh, and for format, it's shaping up. Are you planning on putting something on the right side of text? Because there's a lot of white space. Or is that what you were meaning when you were talking about the tables?

*edit, again*
Oh, and you might want to reformat the answers/questions on Calphas Commune so that they make more sense.

Last edited:

Sialia

First Post
And I probably ought to add you to my acknowledgements page as proofreader par excellance, if I haven't already done so.

Thanks for the catches, Wolfspirit. Will fix.

Remove ads