• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Farbond Spellblade

Virindi

First Post
If one takes the spiked chain training, a feat from Dragon Annual 2009, can that character have a Farbond Spellblade-spiked chain?

My first impression was no since Farbond is applied to heavy or light blades. And the spiked chain is in the flail group.
However this is where it gets weird, it states in the spiked chain training feat, you treat the spiked chain as a double weapon and a light blade. I figured this was talking about that it does the 2d4 and has the the off hand property like it says in the next line.
However not that this means anything but the character builder allows you to make a spellbond spiked chain if you have the spiked chain training feat. also this feat allows other magic properties that are for light blades... to be applied on the spiked chain. I am not looking for cheese. Just trying to figure out if this is legal enhancement on the said weapon. Thanks for your input.

renau1g

First Post
I just looked it over and it does say to treat it like the light blade. I can't find anything on Far Bond or Spellbond though. I would say yes, it's not very cheezy, nor overpowered. It's not as crazy as Bloodclaw is at the same level.

FireLance

Legend
I must admit that my initial thoughts were along the lines of: the Farbond enhancement can be placed on a heavy blade or a light blade, and the spiked chain is neither a heavy blade nor a light blade even though someone with the proper training can use it as a light blade.

That said, I wouldn't have any problems with the mechanics or balance of a Farbond spiked chain, so if one of my players wanted one, I would probably allow it.

brassbaboon

First Post
I have a 9th level ranger with spiked chain training. My DM will allow farbond spellblade. I don't have one because I took the horribly overpowered and game breaking bloodclaw weapon instead. But if it weren't for that, I probably would have the farbond spellblade. I love the flexibility it offers.

Obryn

Hero
I think that RAW disagrees with the character builder. :)

Clearly, IMO, you can't enchant a spiked chain with a blade-only enchantment. Because... what happens when someone who can't use it as a light blade picks it up?

EDIT: This isn't to say a DM couldn't allow it, though!

-O

brassbaboon

First Post
I think that RAW disagrees with the character builder. :)

Clearly, IMO, you can't enchant a spiked chain with a blade-only enchantment. Because... what happens when someone who can't use it as a light blade picks it up?

EDIT: This isn't to say a DM couldn't allow it, though!

-O

Hmm... I'd have to say that's a pretty compelling argument.

Yeah, I have seen this discussion before and it always ends up with the same conclusion, which is basically its PROBABLY not possible by a very strict interpretation of RAW, but on the other hand generally applying enchantments to weapons they aren't strictly allowed for isn't usually a big problem. Especially if the character has to take a feat to make effective use of it.

As for what happens if someone else picks it up, I guess it would just work. Chances are its not really going to happen much, most characters are pretty attached to their specific weapons.

Remove ads