• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Farewell, my Friend

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
There have been a few occassions in my 20 years of playing D&D that have brought a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat. Most of them were at the game table.

This one isn't.

Farewell

Subscriber - Dragon 250(ish)-359

Steel_Wind

Legend
I look forward to Pathfinder and thank Paizo for their outstanding stewardship of these titles. Subscribing to Pathfinder is the best way I have been able to say thank you to Erik, James and Co..

To be clear, I remain entirely unmollified about all of this - and not in the least apologetic for feeling that way, either.

catsclaw227

First Post
Thanks Paizo -- you've made a great thing even better. I've had a Dragon Subscription off and on since #80, and I still have my Dungeon #4 laying around.

While I am very sad that Dragon and Dungeon are no longer print publications, I am not worried that we'll still get great content with the DI since many of the better industry writers will offer submissions - and I imagine that some of the Paizio staff will still find their name in DI articles.

I am also very excited about Pathfinder and Gamemastery -- I proved it by subscribing.

Good luck to Paizo with Pathfinder/Gamemastery/Planet Stories, good luck to WOTC with the DI. Heck the more quality content, the better.

[prepares for flame-attack]

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I almost feel silly posting in this thread, given that I only read my first Dungeon in December or so, and Dragon even more recently. But I just want to say that Paizo should be proud of putting out magazines that look just as good as the big names (say, National Geographic, the New Yorker, Newsweek, Time). And of anything I've ever subscribed to, it's the only one I really waited for.

Best of luck, and I look forward to Pathfinder!

Shade

Monster Junkie
crazypixie said:
There have been a few occassions in my 20 years of playing D&D that have brought a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat. Most of them were at the game table.

This one isn't.

Farewell

Well said. I'll echo that sentiment, and add...

Thanks, Paizo, for revitalizing both magazines and ushering in a golden age for both. Thanks for keeping the old campaign settings alive.
Thanks for providing an outlet for the past edition monsters that others think are no longer relevant.
Thanks for all the Easter Eggs.
Thanks for the Demonomicon, for bringing back the Creature Catalog, and for Core Classics.
Thanks for quality customer service and for being an absolute pleasure to work with.

Best of luck with all the new ventures!

Khairn

First Post
For over 20 years the magazines have been part of my game time ... hell they've been part of my life. For the joy they brought to me and my friends, I thank you very much.

Definitely the sad and tragically needless end of an era.

To the folks at Paizo, you handled your stewardship of the magazine with creativity, style and class. I didn't agree with everything I read, but I respected you for your commitment, your vision and your passion for the hobby and to your customers. Paizo, Gamemastery and Pathfinder will now become my home for gaming.

As for those responsible for bringing this to an end, I have 2 words for you and its not "Merry Christmas".

Good Bye

thomden

First Post
Dragon - my inspiration

Dragon Magazine #83 was the first I ever purchased. That stunning cover by Dennis Beauvais convinced me that I should someday become a fantasy artist. (and later Keith Parkinson sealed the deal with his famous cover for Dragon: the Northwatch illo).

Since then I've had a long held dream of someday illustrating the cover of Dragon magazine, and now that will be impossible.

Over the years I've managed to collect nearly every issue from #1 till now, and I still get warm nostalgia looking at those great classics during the "Kim Mohan" era. Paizo managed to renew the spirit of Dragon and I will always be grateful for that.

Still, Dragon is the magazine that inspired me. You'll be missed.

-Thomas Denmark

beldar1215

Explorer
The mail in my mailbox is going to pile up now. Dungeon was one of the reason I would check my mail. I'm really going to miss that monthly fix. Good-bye old friend. Good luck to all of you at Paizo.

Beldar

A toast to those who took two good magazines and made them great!
drinks.gif

Thank you for the work you did, and for the enjoyment you were able to give those of us who were your readers and fans. The gaming world is a little bit dimmer with these two lights going out.

Remove ads