• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Farscape Cancelled!!

Acmite

First Post
[OT] Farscape Cancelled!!

Farscape has suddenly been cancelled despite Sci-Fi's renewal of the series through 5 seasons.

There are online petitions and such starting already, but if you want to save the show, your best bet is by snail mail or by calling Sci-Fi directly.

All the details can be found here

I'm completely shocked by this decision. IMO, this is by far the best sci-fi on TV right now.

Lizard

Explorer
This surprises me in the 'not' mode. In case you missed it, the 'sci fi' channel is trying very hard to get away from science fiction, focusing on pure fantasy like John Edwards. They axed "The Chronicle", one of the best new series they ever had, despite high ratings, because it was liked by, if you can imagine it, science fiction fans! The science fiction channel doesn't want THOSE sort of people watching!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
There's needs to be some serious look see at some of this. God I hope Farscape comes back. First Witchblade now THIS.

Re: [OT] Farscape Cancelled!!

Acmite said:
I'm completely shocked by this decision. IMO, this is by far the best sci-fi on TV right now.

apparantly not good enough to sell all the advertising that is the entire point of tv.

sorry to be a bummer, but tv stays alive through advertising. if a program cant sell enough advertising (ie.. doesn't have enough viewers) its will be killed.

its not an artistic venue. is a business.

joe b.

ps. and so is tv news.. :)

Acmite

First Post
Dude...I'm in Canada.

We don't even get the Sci-Fi channel up here unless you have an illegal Satellite.

Naturally, I missed the whole Sci-Fi channel politics.

well

Nightfall said:
It's freaking Cable TV channel?! How much advertising do they SERIOUSLY need?!

its not a matter of need. its a matter of want.

cable channels want as much advertising revenue as the major channels AND they want subscription fees.

they dont want quality programing, they want money.

joe b.

Jamdin

Explorer
No, say it isn't so... What is wrong with cable bigawigs nowadays? It seems if a show gets a good following, it gets canned...

Dark Angel...Witchblade...now Farscape...what's next?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Right...so they toss away a show that a lot of people watch in favor of shows a mintory of people watch so they can have more ads running.

Yep that makes sense to me.

Acmite

First Post
Re: Re: [OT] Farscape Cancelled!!

jgbrowning said:

apparantly not good enough to sell all the advertising that is the entire point of tv.

sorry to be a bummer, but tv stays alive through advertising. if a program cant sell enough advertising (ie.. doesn't have enough viewers) its will be killed.

its not an artistic venue. is a business.

joe b.

ps. and so is tv news.. :)

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. Farscape's (and Witchblade's, for that matter) ratings were very good for those networks. The reason this came as a surprise to me, and many people, is that there is no apparent reason for the cancellation.

It doesn't appear that ratings were a factor at all. And since advertisers chose to advertise based on demographics and ratings, I doubt loss of advertising income was what triggered the cancellation.

On a slightly more hostile note, what did you hope to accomplish with your response? This thread was intended to inform fans of Farscape of a possibility to save a show many of us enjoy. I don't see how your comments are contsructive in any way, shape, or form.

Ummm...and how is informing me of common knowledge a "bummer"?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads