• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fashion in D&D

Pick One or More

• Artisan’s outfit

Votes: 36 16.8%
  • Cleric’s vestments

Votes: 69 32.2%
  • Cold weather outfit

Votes: 96 44.9%
  • Courtier’s outfit

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Entertainer’s outfit

Votes: 52 24.3%
  • Explorer’s outfit

Votes: 159 74.3%
  • Monk’s outfit

Votes: 46 21.5%
  • Noble’s outfit

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • Peasant’s outfit

Votes: 43 20.1%
  • Royal outfit

Votes: 24 11.2%
  • Scholar’s outfit

Votes: 55 25.7%
  • Traveler’s outfit

Votes: 131 61.2%
  • None of the above

Votes: 14 6.5%

tek2way

First Post
My group has always purchased clothing, though as one person said, it felt better to do it 2e style. *shrug*

I had one DM who ran a homebrew, and my character wound up checking with a local tailor to find something appropriate to wear to a banquet held in the party's honor at the palace. Never did I imagine that I would like worrying about clothes so much. :) (The city was at the edge of a desert, and we'd come from elsewhere that was colder. Consequently, I got a few more outfits, made of the "breathable" material, and fared better than the others as a result. )

Sejs

First Post
Never bought Artisans, Courtier's, Entertainer's, or Royal. To break it down some -

Cleric’s Vestments - A cleric's ceremonial robes. When you're giving a sermon, this is what you're wearing. Or if you're making an appearance in an official capacity for your church. Almost every single cleric, druid, or monk character's I've had has owned at least one set. Dress uniform for a soldier of the gods. Also handy for infiltrating temples and the like.

Cold Weather Outfit - Goes without saying. It's chilly. Bring a coat.

Explorer’s Outfit - Standard Adventuring Clothes, Option A.

Monk’s Outfit - Good for monks, yes. Also known as assassin's garb. It's a sneak suit. Cut for mobility, lots of places to hide things. Dye it black and off you go. Most sneaky types have a set.

Noble’s Outfit - Dressing nice, suit and a tie. Or the equivalent. When you want to look good and get noticed, but not risk upstaging people who might take offense.

Peasant’s Outfit - Polar opposite to the above. Dressing down. Good for blending in, going incognito, or just lounging around the house.

Scholar’s Outfit - Wizard wear. Pointy hat with stars and moons optional. Also popular with scribes and lower end clergy, particularly when not in situations that would warrant the full ceremonial kit.

Traveler’s Outfit - Standard Adventuring Clothes, Option B. Adventurers travel. They explore. They boldly go where no man, etc, etc. Clothes should match the task.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
If I played more, instead of DMing so much or playing shadowrun, I would've probably purchased them all by now with some character. That said only monks, clerics, royal and entertainers I haven't purchased yet with at least one character.

I have seen them all perchased used by characters before though.

Missywelden

First Post
I have purchased a good many of those outfits. But I find that as much as I would like to use them, I don't often get the chance. I mean, why would you need to wear a Noble's outfit in the middle of a dungeon fighting orcs in blood covered furs. And when I do get into town I never usually have enough time to change into something that would make me appear like more then an armor (or crazy robe) clad adventurer.

Wombat

First Post
Never had reason for the cold weather, the royal, or the monk, but otherwise all of them (sometimes as multiples).

Aaron L

Hero
I typically buy several sets of clothing for my characters (depending on the characters personality, of course) and my favorite character type, an elven noble, will usually have 4 or 5 different noble's outfits and mix and match for variety. And yes, I make notes of what each outfit looks like.

I buy clothes for every character suited to the character's background and status, and pretty much every character also has an explorer's outfit, just as a matter of being an adventurer.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I wonder how many of those who responded with "None of the above" but use starting packages remembered that they automatically get a normal set of clothes and a choice of one from a list that includes Artisan’s outfit, Entertainer’s outfit, Explorer’s outfit, Monk’s outfit, Peasant’s outfit, Scholar’s outfit, or Traveler’s outfit? That had slipped my mind at one point until a player reminded me of it.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Mark CMG said:
I wonder how many of those who responded with "None of the above" but use starting packages remembered that they automatically get a normal set of clothes and a choice of one from a list that includes Artisan’s outfit, Entertainer’s outfit, Explorer’s outfit, Monk’s outfit, Peasant’s outfit, Scholar’s outfit, or Traveler’s outfit? That had slipped my mind at one point until a player reminded me of it.

We usually have an entry on the character sheet named "standard gear". That includes rope (50'), a lantern and some oil, candles, chalk, a bedroll,...

And reasonable clothing for the character.

Beyond that, we don't track mundane gear. The characters are assumed to have a bit of personal life where they take care of reasonable gear (they'll buy warm blankets if they want to go out camping in winter, and so on), keep stuff like arrows stocked, and follow the calls of nature. We don't bother with the financial aspect of that stuff, either. We just assume that they didn't get 2000 gp as part of the rolled treasure, but that it was 2038 or something, and the rest was blown on lodging, provisioning, food, alcohol and hookers ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads