• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fast Ball Special… /sigh

borc killer

First Post
Fast Ball Special… /sigh

My player want to do this… and I need some help adjudicating it before we play again.

For those of you that the phrase ‘Fast Ball Special’ is meaningless here is what they are trying to do:
The gnome warrior (in full plate) wants the human priest of Kord to pick him up and throw him at/over/through/into/outof dangerous things.

I can see two ways to do this.
1) Use the ‘aid another’ rule and let the gnome make a jump check aided by the priest. And even let them use the advanced rules in the Complete Adventure.
2) Or have the priest make some type of attack roll with an improvised weapon.

Any help?

melkorspawn

First Post
In the Colossus role: I've seen it done as a ranged attack with an improvised weapon that is sized too large for them.

In the Wolverine role: It's a melee charge that provides additional falling damage to both the target and the attacker... though the attacker gets the benefit of a jump roll to negate some of the damage.

I'm not sure if this is RAW... in my case, it's just anecdotal evidence of how I've seen it done.

First, make sure that the human priest of Kord can actually pick up the gnome in full plate.

Second, your aid another solution sounds great.

Finally, there's actually a feat, somewhere, for this, called "Fling Ally." (I think.) IIRC, it allows you to toss your ally, and then they get to make a single attack.

werk

First Post
First thing I would do is calculate weights vs strength to see if it's even possible. I can pick up three hundred pounds, but I can't throw it anywhere except strait down.

Second, I would discuss damage to the 'ball' (same or worse than falling), getting up from prone, and I'd probably mention stunned and dazed.

Seems like a big waste of effort to me.

Edit to say: Fling ally is broken :p

Last edited:

ohGr

First Post
Not surprisingly, there's already a feat for this: Fling Ally, from Races of Stone. As it requires large size, a human cleric wouldn't qualify. However, you can use its mechanic to make your own house-ruled version.

Basically, with the feat, you can pick up an ally who is at least one size category smaller than you and throw him so long as you are strong enough to lift him over your head (i.e.: he has to weigh less than your maximum load). If so, you target which space you want to throw him to and make a ranged touch attack. Range increment is 5' if the person you're throwing is one size smaller than you, 15' for two sizes smaller; as a thrown weapon, you can only throw him 5 range increments. If your ranged touch attack succeeds, he lands in the target sqaure. If not, well, that's what the Missing with a Thrown Weapon diagram is for. If the square your friend lands in is occupied, he falls prone. Otherwise, he's OK. Finally, your thrown friend suffers no AoOs for this movement.

borc killer

First Post
Fling Ally feat. Ok... will look at that.

We had some debate about 'could he trough the little bastard?' And I am in no way convinced that he could. How much do you think a 20 STR person can pick up and through? We were using the lift over head weight for a guide...

Teleri

borc killer

First Post
ohGr said:
throw him so long as you are strong enough to lift him over your head (i.e.: he has to weigh less than your maximum load).

So that was right. Ok. I might make them each take a feat to do this move then...

Will keep checking to see what others come up with.

Thanks alot

Teleri

I ran into this a while back and worked up a set of house rules {attached} that worked well in play. They are based on an old Dragon mag and the Jump skill resolution.

Keep in mind the 1/4 distance = height rule from the Jump skill to determine if the throwee hits the ceiling.

Attachments

• Throwing the Kobold.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 132

Remove ads