• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fast Ball Special… /sigh

Sejs

First Post
ohGr said:
Not surprisingly, there's already a feat for this: Fling Ally, from Races of Stone. As it requires large size, a human cleric wouldn't qualify.

But he could be large with Righteous Might (Clr/5, Str/5) or Enlarge Person (Str/1) if he's got the Strength Domain - which, as a priest of Kord, he darn well better. :p

So it could work theoretically if you as the DM are willing to let temporary states quality for pre-requisites, and just have the feat be useable as long as the temporary state persists.

Failing that, yeah, go with the Aid Another thing, above.

borc killer

First Post
borc killer said:
1) Use the ‘aid another’ rule and let the gnome make a jump check aided by the priest. And even let them use the advanced rules in the Complete Adventure.

Thinking I am going to do this. What do you think the Priest should use to do the Aid Another? Just a STR check? What about a range attack? I would like to have something that scaled abit easyer than just a normal STR check...

Thanks again

melkorspawn

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
I ran into this a while back and worked up a set of house rules {attached} that worked well in play. They are based on an old Dragon mag and the Jump skill resolution.

Keep in mind the 1/4 distance = height rule from the Jump skill to determine if the throwee hits the ceiling.

HA! What a fun way to burn a feat: "EWP: Thrown Humanoid".

Sejs

First Post
melkorspawn said:
HA! What a fun way to burn a feat: "EWP: Thrown Humanoid".

Heh, reminds me of one of my old characters back in the day that had "Weapon Proficiency: Bar Patron". If you're in a bar and partaking of the services offered in some way then you, sir, are a viable weapon. If I go into a shop, brothel, warehouse, or any other place that wasn't a bar however, I was just plum out of luck.

:p

Drowbane

First Post
borc killer said:
My player want to do this… and I need some help adjudicating it before we play again.

For those of you that the phrase ‘Fast Ball Special’ is meaningless here is what they are trying to do:
The gnome warrior (in full plate) wants the human priest of Kord to pick him up and throw him at/over/through/into/outof dangerous things.

I can see two ways to do this.
1) Use the ‘aid another’ rule and let the gnome make a jump check aided by the priest. And even let them use the advanced rules in the Complete Adventure.
2) Or have the priest make some type of attack roll with an improvised weapon.

Any help?

Dood, first off: imitating Wolverine with a fricking Gnome Fighter-type is just wrong. :/

I think the Hulking Hurler PrC might help with your thrower... :p

melkorspawn

First Post
Drowbane said:
Dood, first off: imitating Wolverine with a fricking Gnome Fighter-type is just wrong. :/

Where are you going here? Wolverine -> Short, Hairy & Beserker -> Dwarven Barbarian?
Colossus -> Big, Strong & Metalic -> Warforged Fighter?

Stormrunner

Explorer
The "Fastball Special" derives its utility from the fact that Colossus is MUCH stronger than Wolverine. Thus,
A) C can throw W significantly farther than W can jump - especially useful against airborne foes, as W can't fly.
B) When thrown, W impacts the target harder than if he jumped - essentially, he gets to use C's STR bonus in place of his own for a single claw attack.

Whether W takes falling damage upon impact is up to you - in the comics, he doesn't, but in-game it may be necessary for play balance. At the least, W should be able to Tumble to reduce the falling damage as normal.
Since a person flung through the air can't really dodge very well, W should either take a significant AC penalty (say, -4, twice the usual charge penalty), or lose his Dex bonus to AC. I tend to favor the latter.

Drowbane

First Post
Stormrunner said:
Whether W takes falling damage upon impact is up to you - in the comics, he doesn't, but in-game it may be necessary for play balance. At the least, W should be able to Tumble to reduce the falling damage as normal.
Since a person flung through the air can't really dodge very well, W should either take a significant AC penalty (say, -4, twice the usual charge penalty), or lose his Dex bonus to AC. I tend to favor the latter.

Not entirely true. Wolvie takes dmg from the impact. But with his Adamantine Skeleton (DR) and his Healing Factor (Regen/Fast Healing) it doesn't really matter over much.

melkorspawn said:
Where are you going here? Wolverine -> Short, Hairy & Beserker -> Dwarven Barbarian?
Colossus -> Big, Strong & Metalic -> Warforged Fighter?

Wolverine as a dwarf, sure. As a Gnome? You gotta be F-ing kidding me.

Assuming I wanted to stat out Wolverine in D&D... how would I do it? Glad you asked!!

Weapon X
Stony Feral Anthromorphic Wolverine Fighter X / Rogue X / Variant version of Spine Warrior PrC from Magic of Incarnum X

Insane Str, Insane Con.
Claws (just add Imp Natural weapon, hits as Adamantine, and of course being able to retract)
Fast Healing 2 (should be MUCH higher, but meh)
DR 8 / Adamantine
Climb Spd
Burrow Spd (so what if Wolvie can't do this...)
PrC makes him more of a killing machine with his claws.

Or um... just use M&M :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads