• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fast Dismount & Full Attack?

dutorn

First Post
Can I do this scenario? If not, can you point me to the reason it doesn't work, and where the rule is located?

As an example:
I'm a halfling with two weapon fighting.

1. On a riding dog and my turn comes around the dog charges.

2. Once next to the baddie I quick dismount (Free Action to Fast mount or dismount DC20, assume I make the check)

3. After the dismount Full attack.

Thanks!

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
There is nothing in the rules as far as I am aware.

A Fast Dismount is a free action to which you can use one per round. As long as your opponent is within range of your 5' step or your dismount square, which would be adjacent to the mount, there is nothing that I am aware of to prevent you from attacking.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
dutorn said:
Can I do this scenario? If not, can you point me to the reason it doesn't work, and where the rule is located?

As an example:
I'm a halfling with two weapon fighting.

1. On a riding dog and my turn comes around the dog charges.

2. Once next to the baddie I quick dismount (Free Action to Fast mount or dismount DC20, assume I make the check)

3. After the dismount Full attack.

Thanks!

The mounted combat rules say you can't do this.

If your mount moves more than 5 feet, you can only make a single melee attack. Essentially, you have to wait until the mount gets to your enemy before attacking, so you can’t make a full attack. Even at your mount’s full speed, you don’t take any penalty on melee attacks while mounted.

It's silly, though. You can't make a full attack while mounted after you've moved, but once you're not mounted, that doesn't seem to be a restriction anymore. Heh.

FreeXenon

Fast Mount or Dismount (SRD)
You can attempt to mount or dismount from a mount of up to one size category larger than yourself as a free action, provided that you still have a move action available that round. If you fail the Ride check, mounting or dismounting is a move action. You can’t use fast mount or dismount on a mount more than one size category larger than yourself.

"provided that you still have a move action available that round." seems a little bit ambiguous. As long as you have a move action available that round, in case you fail your ride check, you may attempt a Fast Dismount. If you are successful you may full attack otherwise you may use the attack action to attack once.

I may just be repeating what you already know. :uhoh:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
FreeXenon said:
"provided that you still have a move action available that round." seems a little bit ambiguous. As long as you have a move action available that round, in case you fail your ride check, you may attempt a Fast Dismount. If you are successful you may full attack otherwise you may use the attack action to attack once.

I may just be repeating what you already know. :uhoh:

Did your mount move more than 5 feet before you attacked? Then you can't full attack with a melee weapon, fast dismount or not.

dutorn

First Post
Caliban said:
Did your mount move more than 5 feet before you attacked? Then you can't full attack with a melee weapon, fast dismount or not.

You're right, I would be assuming more than a 5 ft. move.

FreeXenon

I was writing my post while you guys were, so I will say
"What they said." The SRD direct quote from Caliban pretty much covers it.
:)

Caliban said:

That depends on how you interpret the section title.

Combat While Mounted
If your mount moves more than 5 feet, you can only make a single melee attack.

Now, an anal-retentive gamer could say that this restriction only applies to 'combat while mounted,' and if you're not mounted, then you can full attack regardless of how far you've moved. I mean, if you're not mounted, then you don't have a 'mount,' so it doesn't matter whether or not the horse next to you moved 5 ft. or 60.

I, however, agree that the intention of the rule is that moving more than 5 ft. at all limits you to a single attack.

Which is why I designed these feats:

Mounted Strafe [Fighter]
You can attack as you ride past your foe.
Prerequisites: Ride 5 ranks, Mounted Combat
Benefit: When mounted, you may perform a standard action at any point during your mount’s movement. When you attack a creature in melee when mounted, for the movement to and from that creature, neither you nor your mount provoke attacks of opportunity from that creature.

If you perform a charge action while mounted, you can attack any creature adjacent to or along the line of your movement. Your mount must still move in a straight line, but you can choose to attack a creature as you pass it by.
Normal: You can only make melee attacks while mounted at the beginning or end of your mount’s movement. You can only make ranged attacks while mounted at the beginning, end, or precise middle of your mount’s movement.
Special: You may use this feat to qualify for feats and prestige classes as if it were Ride-By Attack.

Improved Mounted Strafe [Fighter]
You can cut down foe after foe as you ride past them.
Prerequisites: Ride 8 ranks, Mounted Combat, Mounted Strafe
Benefit: When mounted, you may make a full attack while moving. Your attacks can each come at any point during your mount’s movement, though if your mount moves more than 5 ft. you must move at least 5 ft. between each attack.
Normal: You can only make melee attacks while mounted at the beginning or end of your mount’s movement. You can only make ranged attacks while mounted at the beginning, end, or precise middle of your mount’s movement. You cannot make more than one melee attack in a round if your mount moves more than 5 ft.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
RangerWickett said:
That depends on how you interpret the section title.

Now, an anal-retentive gamer could say that this restriction only applies to 'combat while mounted,' and if you're not mounted, then you can full attack regardless of how far you've moved. I, however, agree that the intention of the rule is that moving at all limits you to a single attack.

And people who insist on presenting arguements like that with a straight face is why I find the "RAW only, context is meaningless" arguements so "distasteful" (to borrow a phrase) these days.

"Insert multi-paragraph diatribe that bores even me."

Remove ads