• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Faster metabolism makes perception of time move slower

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003347213003060

A new study which says that the reason creatures like small insects have such excellent reflexes is because compared to us they see time in slow motion. And that the cause for that is both a higher metabolic rate and a smaller body size.

(Regarding the kaiju thread earlier I think this might mean that the kaiju in Pacific Rim should not realistically be able to move as fast as they do. Or at least react as fast as they do.)

Janx

Hero
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003347213003060

A new study which says that the reason creatures like small insects have such excellent reflexes is because compared to us they see time in slow motion. And that the cause for that is both a higher metabolic rate and a smaller body size.

(Regarding the kaiju thread earlier I think this might mean that the kaiju in Pacific Rim should not realistically be able to move as fast as they do. Or at least react as fast as they do.)

That makes sense. In the vein of computer technology, there's shorter paths for signal to get from senses to brain and back. That's less latency (faster reaction time). And if those buggers have a faster CPU clock, they'd be analyzing less data more frequently. If they're getting more energy from their faster metabolism, that would in effect boost their clock speed (contrast to slow tired people reacting to things slowly).

I suspect this is related to how small animals movements tend to appear twitchy and rapid. A small bird or squirrel turning its head to look is sudden and jerky. A larger animal (horse, dog, human) tends to be a smoother, slower motion.

MarkB

Legend
Huh. I kind-of always assumed that actually was the case, because it made sense. Hadn't really considered it as something yet to be proven.

I think I first saw the concept used decades ago in Terry Pratchett's Nomes trilogy (Truckers, Diggers and Wings), in which the Nomes experienced time much more slowly than humans because of their minute size. Even back then, it didn't seem like a new concept.

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
Eh, I think it's also a case of having fewer processing threads. I mean, face it, aside from when you use chemical warfare on a bug, when was the last time you saw one start thrashing? Nah, that's a larger-animal thing. We're complicated enough that we can overload ourselves. But a bug? It has so little going on that it just doesn't care.

Remove ads