• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fat Dragon Games - E-Z Dungeons Basic Set: Review

frandallfarmer

Explorer
I heartily recommend FDG and WWG products.

I agree. There are many great paper terrain vendors over at rpgnow.com. From FDG, their Winterhawk Castle walls are awesome - easy to build and look great (search for OldSchoolDM and paper terrain on Google images and you'll see lots...)

WWG now as a pre-printed line called Terraclips. Check it out if you have cash, but don't have time to make walls...

papadamour

First Post
Ok after reading this thread I am going to back the Fat Dragon Kickstarter. I hope it's as straghtforward to assemble as you guys suggest - I'm artistically challenged!

Gecko85

Explorer
I've never used 3-D dungeon tiles of any type, but they certainly look great. Question for those that use them regularly: how do you handle fog of war? Do you build the whole thing first, then "hide" some of it with sheets or something? (Although even that would sort of give away the general size a bit...) Or, do you build as you go? (Seems slow...) What's the best way to use these in game? Thanks...

frandallfarmer

Explorer
It depends - for large builds, I use handkerchiefs:

2013-08-10 14.16.32 by Oracle Omega, on Flickr

Photo Aug 10, 2 41 32 PM (HDR) by Oracle Omega, on Flickr

I also prebuild rooms with paper walls attached with sticky glue dots. The rooms are stacked in a box next to me, which I pull out and place down at game time (the minis and props are in a matching plastic bag.)

But when using Dwarven Forge for a combat scene, I print a photo and let the players build the room:

Dead in the Eye combat maps in Dwarven Forge Cavern Tiles (2 sets) by Oracle Omega, on Flickr

Dead in the Eye by Oracle Omega, on Flickr

Works better than a room description! And comes with a free planning/tactical map. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads