• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite 3.0 class book?

Favorite D&D class book from 3rd edition (non-3.5)

I am curious which of the old books people liked best. I was most fond of Tome & Blood. I vote for it from the standpoint that I am a fairly experienced gamer, and so I wanted something original, not something that updated classic concepts to 3rd ed.

Sword & Fist - I feel the rules here were fairly well done, but some of the techniques used don't match what eventually became standard in D&D (like bolas automatically tripping if they hit, regardless of the target, or the full blade and mercurial weapons). They didn't fiddle enough with the basic fighter and monk classes.

Defenders of the Faith - The prestige classes in general were just caster level advancement, plus one or two abilities. Not very intriguing. It wasn't bad, but nothing inspired me.

Tome & Blood - I love this one because there are tons of weird ideas like candle casters, acolytes of the skin, and variant familiars. I personally would have done some of them differently, but still it gave me a lot of ideas.

Song & Silence - As you might have noticed, I like weird new ideas, and S&S didn't do 'weird' very well. It did classic D&D well, what with thief acrobats and dungeon delvers and such, plus lots of traps. Just not my thing. Not enough 'cool.'

Masters of the Wild - This one conflicts me. Lots of cool different ideas here, but I really feel the opening on "how to play your character" is unhealthy. It tells you how to play the D&D stereotypes of each class, and doesn't consider that you might want to make a character that breaks from the mold. In fact, with the oozemaster it seems to want you to stay in the mold. Eww.

*grin*

Crothian

First Post
Third party books. Quint Rogue, Quint Monk, Quint Wizard....all of these were fantastic. THe Path of series by FFG was also very strong.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I thought Sword & Fist, Defenders of the Faith, Tome & Blood, Song & Silence, and Masters of the Wild weren't very good. I suppose the third party books were better...

Last edited:

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Sword and Fist, for me.

Most of the PrCs were very flavorful (Ghostwalker! :cool: ) and, compared to the overpowered DotF and underpowered T&B and S&S, well balanced.

The 'variant rules' (fullblade, mercurial greatsword) were valid until 3.5 came out (the fullblade was replaced by the Monkey Grip feat and a Large Bastard Sword), and what's changed about the mercurial greatsword? However, this was clearly the weakest part of the book.

The feats were... ehh... the weakest part of the book. WotC seems afraid to make really good, flavorful feats for high-end play, for instance. I prefer 3rd-party sources for these.

The inclusion of stronghold pricing was a nice touch, too.

cjyoung1

Explorer
I voted for Tomb and Blood. Not because I think it was the best; it's the one that has gotten the most use. Behind that I think that we used Defenders of the faith. The others were put on a shelf and then never used again. That was just our group. I tend to use them all when I need a spark for an adventure or even an accounter.

jeffh

Adventurer
I'd rank the three major 3.0 splatbook series thus:

1. FFG's Path Of... series
2. The WotC splats mentioned above
3. Mongoose's Quintessential series, or at least what I've seen of it (I understand a few of them are actually quite good, but not the ones I've seen personally).

But having said that all three were pretty spotty.

haiiro

First Post
For me, it was Masters of the Wild, with Tome & Blood a very close second.

There was a lot of originality in those books, particularly when compared to the amount of blah in Sword & Fist and Song & Silence; I was fairly neutral on Defenders of the Faith.

shilsen

Adventurer
haiiro said:
For me, it was Masters of the Wild, with Tome & Blood a very close second.

There was a lot of originality in those books, particularly when compared to the amount of blah in Sword & Fist and Song & Silence; I was fairly neutral on Defenders of the Faith.
Almost exactly what haiiro said, except that I'm picking Tome and Blood over Masters of the Wild. Narrowly.

Ferret

Explorer
I voted for Master of the wild, biased as I am. However Tome of blood would have been a more accurate vote. *Sigh* Damn my Vote-and-run insincts.

Remove ads