• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite 3.0 class book?

Favorite D&D class book from 3rd edition (non-3.5)

TroyXavier

First Post
It was Tome and Blood for me (I so wish they'd put Elemental Savant in a new book so I could use it again). Quint Monk was a close 2nd as I loved the fighting styles in it.

Psion

Adventurer
Sword & Fist held me in good stead for a long time. But it was so superceded by many third party products that I don't see it in the same light.

I said other third party book. I don't have just one book, but of non-updated 3.0 books, two of my favorites are:

Second World's Masters of Arms
Bastion's Spells & Magic

Azazyll

First Post
While I've not really read the third party publishers, I have to say I liked most of the WotC books. MotW just had a whole lot of neat ideas. Menehirs, infusions, generally good prestige classes, awesome spells (I vastly prefer the regenerate path to the cure path for Druids, gives them their own spin on healing magic). I basically didn't read the fluff, "how to play your character" is rarely interesting in a generic light, I much prefer such stuff to be campaign specific, like in the Eberron CS.

T&B had a lot of neat ideas, though very few of them were carried out well in the mechanics, and the spells were useful but lacked the flavor that the prestige classes had. DotF was great for the magic armors, some of the prestige classes (though more were bad, enough were good to make it worth while), and while I don't like the prestige domain idea, they were interesting. S&F was, as someone here already said, not the way things went, but if it has any faults, they can all be understood in the light that it was the first of its kind, and for what it was it was great. S&S was awful, the only thing worth reading was trapmaking (which should have been in the original DMG) and bardic instruments, definitely not worth the money.

Zudrak

Explorer
Third Party books were best

I agree with Crothian. The Quintessential and Path series by Mongoose and FFG, respectively, were both great. While I own all of the WotC books mentioned, the feel of the two third-party series were superior.

Big Jake

First Post
I accidently hit "other" but I meant "third party."

I have all of the Path books by FFG, and among them Path of Shadow is the most used. I've run a Delver and another player ran a Jack of Knives.

I don't think that they are very difficult to update them to 3.5, either. I've done it for each class feature that my players have used in my campaign.

I particularly like all of the organizations and schools that are introduced in the books. It makes it easier to make the PrC a functioning part of a campaign world.

Dark Jezter

First Post
I chose Master of the Wild. Tome and Blood would be my second choice.

Off-topic: I like your nickname, Big Jake. Big Jake is one of my favorite John Wayne movies. :)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
The Quintessential series by Mongoose, in particular Quintessential Fighter. I bought it for the mass combat systerm and was very impressed with the whole book.

The Auld Grump

Xath

Moder-gator
I thought that the WotC supplements for 3E were by and large poorly edited. Hence the needed republishing of Sword and Fist, and the large amounts of Errata for Tome and Blood. Not to mention that the 3E Arcane Trickster from Song and Silence was just broken. But I'd have to guess that Masters of the Wild would do the best on this poll, because everyone was always sold out of it. No one ever ran out of Defenders of the Faith...

Remove ads