• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Beer & Pretzels Game?

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
Well, when we have dead time, we play:

*Chez Geek (now with all three expansions!)
*Munchkin
*FRAG
*Kill Doctor Lucky (Deluxe Edition)

We routinely try new games, too. Another favorite of mine, but it's only two players, is Lost Cities, the game of archaeological discovery! It's a card game, where you play cards on different archaelogical/mythical places. The goal is to get back the costs of development and make money at the same time, but you and your partner are competing for the same cards.

It's hard to explain without showing the cards themselves, and while it sounds dry, it's really quite fun. A lot of strategy, card hording, card counting, to make sure you invest in the right expidition and get your return.

Storminator

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip said:

Shogun (aka Samurai Swords, by the A&A team and superior in every way to A&A, as it is a random set-up every game, so its always fresh. I bid three koku to hire the ninja!)

While it isn't always useful, I've scored some spectacular successes with the ninja. I once killed all three of a players generals in one turn with a well timed ninja strike. Well the ronin and the fortress helped, but the ninja made it all work!

PS

Henry

Autoexreginated
Believe it or not: Multiplayer games of Magic: the Gathering.

It's fantasy-like, requires almost no setup (we each have a few strategy decks pre-mixed), and you can finish a game in about 2 hours. The strategy is far different than a one-on-one game (larger decks help you survive longer, and aliances are a must!).

We also play Battletech, sometimes Heroquest, and sometimes a very short D&D scenario. Call of Cthulhu is also fun too - if the Keeper has pre-made some characters.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I used to love the original Civilation Board game, and the length of time to play always depended on the number of players and the quantity of beer and/or pretzels. ;)

I haven't seen anyone mention the card game (not a CCG) "Chaos Marauders" which was a blast. Here's what they said at Gamers.com about it...

Players familiar with the Warhammer miniatures game might expect a game titled "Chaos Marauders" and released by Games Workshop to involve the armored minions of the evil chaos gods. As it happens, though, this game is all about the Orcs, an equally evil but somehow more likeable bunch. In the game, several Orcish tribes are competing for the coveted top position on the Orcish banner pole, and things inevitably get a bit messy. The game mainly consists of players lining up Orcs (and various allies and contraptions) in preparation for battle while attempting to undermine the actions of their opponents. Gameplay is fast-paced, and the balance of power shifts frequently and dramatically. Sadly, the game is no longer in print.

If you like Beer and Pretzel games, and you ever see a copy of it on Ebay or in a dusty game store, grab it up. It's a lot of fun! :D

King_Stannis

Explorer
Utrecht said:
The interesting thing about this thread is that truly few Beer and Pretzel type games have been mentioned......

the classics are of course Axis and Allies, Risk, Shogun, Fortress America, Twilight Imperium, History of the World (All but Risk are good ....

say what? risk is a classic!

my beer & pretzel games:

risk
axis & allies
balderdash (fun as hell with a group of 7-8 people)

xjp

First Post
Talisman 2nd Edition!

And if the chickies have had a few beers it's time to play Truth or Dare Jenga or Twister or Poker or...

Utrecht

First Post
Old One - You can find out more about Carcassone at www.riograndegames.com

King Stannis - I do not deny that Risk (and I own it) is a classic and was certainly a mainstay of my adolecense....... but there is so much better stuff out there. - Of course I have not tried Rsik 2050 - but have heard good things about it.

A good place to get alot of these games above an beyond your local gaming shops (if they are like mine charge a fortune) is www.bouldergames.com - they typically sell games 20% below what you would find locally - plus they have reviews of the various games - and it is truly scary how many games there are out there!!!!

Oracular Vision

First Post
Geez, doesn't anyone get drunk at cons and play "The Great Khan Game" anymore? It's back in print now. The game where every turn is different, you could be winning one turn and destitute the next, hoarding your gold is the key to victory, and the last minute land grab can pay off. It is the definitive beer and pretzels game because you would not play it under other circumstances.

Wiz war is good too. You can use your magic cards to play it of you want, still works. I played a live action version one time, and it was fun! A huge four-sided styrofoam 4 sided dice to play thumb of god with. You take a running start, and chuck it at the player, who is standing on the square. Most people will move out of the way...

Roborally can be a good time. It takes a bit too long. If you buy a second card deck and have it ready, it can go faster. Some of the mods are broken though, especially flying ones. We takes those out as the person getting it wins pretty much every time...

Remove ads