• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Favorite change and thing you like better before

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Favorite: Abilities as the root of everything. All the big mechanical stuff I like stems from the idea that you use your six abilities as the root scores for pretty much everything instead of coming up with other derived numbers. My jaw dropped when I first read the rule in the playtest about Saving Throws – the idea was that "why haven't they been doing that since the 1970s?"...

Thing I Miss: Count me among the leveling crowd (as a historian with an antipathy toward the English Levelers, that's a hard sentence to type!). I don't like high-level play, so rushing towards it, even inadvertently saddens me. I look forward to seeing how the DMG addresses options: cutting back on XP awards (by agreement at the table) or increasing the amount needed to level up are easy ideas, but I imagine that there are slightly-more-complex ideas that have been run through in the book (even in 3.5, we would run games with rare combat so we didn't have as much XP flowing besides RP and story XP, but the Exploration and Social modes seen to be more award-based in 5e than in prior versions).

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I'd say my favorite new rule is bounded accuracy, except that isn't a rule; it's a design philosophy behind the rules. So I'm gonna go with advantage/disadvantage. It's elegant, simple, beautiful and easy to handle at the table- it's faster for (ahem) math-challenged players than adding another bonus, too.

I really miss 3e's varied critical threat range and damage listings for weapons.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Breaking Up Movement is my favorite new 5E rules, it it makes the game even more fluid by facilitating movement even further!

The rules from previous edition i wish was in 5E would be rules for Concealment (25/50/75%).

Snapdragyn

Explorer
Favorite new thing: So many - from broad things like ad/disad to more specific things like the Warlock class design, or some of the Battlemaster abilities.

Missed old thing: While the reduced (vs. 3.x) skill list & split into skills vs. tools are things I like (though I think the skill list could do with a bit of tuning still), I really miss being able to spend skill points rather than just 'you're great' or 'you suck' (proficient vs. not). Many of my character concepts end up with a reason to have dabbled in a particular skill, but there's just no good way to reflect that in 5e.

DM_

First Post
Favorite new rule: The action economy is just wonderful. Movement split specifically is awesome.

Rule I miss: Minions. Though never having actually played 4e (just wasn't my style) I used the Minion mechanic as a house-rule for my old Pathfinder game. Will probably continue using this in my home game.

Joe Liker

First Post
Favorite: Tie between bounded accuracy and the unified spell progression table, which makes multiclass spellcasting such a work of art.

Thing I miss: Monster Manual "treasure types" table.

Croesus

Adventurer
Favorite: All of the above, but if I have to pick one, I actually like that the first couple levels go quickly, then advancement slows down. Seems to work well with my group.

Dislike: Stats giving +1 for every two points above 10. I'd much prefer +1 for every 3 or 4 points, not every two. For example, 12 = +1, 15 = +2, 18 = +3. Giving +1 for every two above 10 is just a bit too good, especially with bounded accuracy.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Best new rule: background generation. (though I think the best new rules are yet to come in the DMG)

Honourable mention: advantage/disadvantage, though it's been shoehorned into too many places where it isn't the best answer.

Honourable mention: wild magic.

Things they should have kept or brought back: many from 1e...Cleric vs. undead turning matrix, resurrection and system shock survival % rolls, deadly erros possible in teleport, 5-sense illusions that can cause damage, etc.

Lan-"and death in 5e is quite literally too cheap"-efan

pedro2112

First Post
I like pretty much everything about 5E. The one thing that irks me, however, is how most Rogues are not the "go to" guy in the party to find traps. I want to find a house rule to change this to a more intuitive result; that being a trap disarming rogue/criminal should not have to rely on a cleric to find traps.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Like: The combined spontaneous casting from a long spell list. The way they did magic this time around feels more like magic found in a fantasy story.

Dislike: I don't know if I dislike it. But the pop up "1 hp and you're good to go from being knocked out due to damage" mechanic. I'm glad I don't have to track negative hit points. I wouldn't have minded something that indicated you had been hammered like Disadvantage on all abilities for a round after being hammered into an unconscious state.

Remove ads