• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Favorite change and thing you like better before

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Least favorite thing - Advantage / Disadvantage (a bonus of +4 or +5 so often is huge, they could have done the same thing with +2 and -2, max +2 or -2 they cancel out)

Huh? Advantage/disadvantage only gets you an extra d20 roll...that does not stack regardless of how many circumstances are giving you dis-/advantage. Where are you getting +4, +5? I'm misreading something I think...

Boarstorm

First Post
Huh? Advantage/disadvantage only gets you an extra d20 roll...that does not stack regardless of how many circumstances are giving you dis-/advantage. Where are you getting +4, +5? I'm misreading something I think...

My understanding is that the math is such that advantage gives you the equivalent of somewhere between a +4 and +5, depending on what the target number is.

My understanding is that the math is such that advantage gives you the equivalent of somewhere between a +4 and +5, depending on what the target number is.
The math makes Advantage the equivalent of a +5, only if you would succeed 50% of the time without it. The more (or less) likely you are to succeed, the less of a benefit you gain from Advantage (and the less of a penalty you suffer from Disadvantage).

Boarstorm

First Post
The math makes Advantage the equivalent of a +5, only if you would succeed 50% of the time without it. The more (or less) likely you are to succeed, the less of a benefit you gain from Advantage (and the less of a penalty you suffer from Disadvantage).

Right. That. Was just explaining to Steeldragons where KarinsDad was getting his numbers.

Someone who was much better at math than I am did a break down when the mechanic was first revealed with the equivalent bonuses at each DC, and then the average of all those bonuses. I remember it was slightly off from 5. But then, I don't remember what I ate for lunch three hours ago, so my memory is a bit suspect these days.

... where am I?

KarinsDad

Adventurer

The vast majority of things in the game system require a 6 to a 15 on a D20 to be successful. So the average boost to the D20 roll for various numbers required is:

6 +3.75
7 +4.2
8 +4.55
9 +4.8
10 +4.95
11 +5
12 +4.95
13 +4.8
14 +4.55
15 +4.2

Yes, there is a once in a blue moon time when something is super easy or super difficult where advantage does not give as large of a boost, but it's basically +4 to +5 range 95% or more of the time.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic

That only works [mathematically] if you assume you roll a 10-11...every time...and something NOT a 10-11 with you adv/dis roll...every time. It makes no sense to judge the adv/dis mechanic this way. That is not, ever [fine, infinitesimally small chance], going to happen.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The vast majority of things in the game system require a 6 to a 15 on a D20 to be successful. So the average boost to the D20 roll for various numbers required is:

6 +3.75
7 +4.2
8 +4.55
9 +4.8
10 +4.95
11 +5
12 +4.95
13 +4.8
14 +4.55
15 +4.2

Yes, there is a once in a blue moon time when something is super easy or super difficult where advantage does not give as large of a boost, but it's basically +4 to +5 range 95% or more of the time.

Ok. If you say so.

I roll a d20. I've seen no better chance to roll 1 of 10 options: 6-15, than I do to roll 1 of a different 10: 1-5+16-20.*shrug*

I'm not going to judge the adv/dis mechanic by this perceived bonus/difference. But that's just me. Thanks for the reasoning/explanation.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I roll a d20. I've seen no better chance to roll 1 of 10 options: 6-15, than I do to roll 1 of a different 10: 1-5+16-20.*shrug*

Those are the numbers typically needed on a D20 to make a given DC (or AC) on the D20, not the numbers that a person can roll on a die.

And yes, the vast majority of times, a player (or DM) needs to roll a number in the 6 to 15 range (or higher) in order to succeed. If they needed a 1 on the D20 die to succeed (assuming a situation where a 1 is not an autofail like skills), why bother rolling the dice? It's automatic.

There are cases where the other 10 numbers come into play, but they are fewer and far between. One significant one is high level saving throws where the PC has a low stat and is not proficient. In that case, higher DCs is sometimes involved (then again, so are spells that boost saves and such too). The rest of the list is:

1 0
2 0.95
3 1.8
4 2.55
5 3.2

16 3.75
17 3.2
18 2.55
19 1.8
20 0.95

So the bonus might not be in the +4 to +5 range, but those are relatively rare cases. Same for disadvantage.

Morte

Explorer
Like: The general streamlining of play and rules.

Dislike: One spell per day at higher spell levels. If I'm a level 20 wizard, deadlier than quite a lot of dragons (per CR), I want to unload.

Intrigued that nobody is mentioning: Inspiration, which nudges D&D a bit towards them new-fangled story game mechanics.

Remove ads