• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Craft / Profession skill

ScottB

First Post
As a general question: what are your favorite Craft or Profession skills?

More specifically, what skill(s) would be appropriate to skin a Dragon, and use its hide to make shields and armors? Craft(leatherowrking) and Craft (armorsmith)? Is there a seperate tanning skill? On the subject, where could I find the listing(s) for Dragon skin as an alternate material? I didn't find it in A&EG. I don't have the Drag. book, so is it anywhere else? Also, where might I find information on Craft(musical instrument)?

Thanks, everyone.

Craft (Armorsmith) deals with the making of all armor.

I'd let someone make leather or hide armor using Craft (Leatherworking).

The rules on dragonhide armor are:

SRD said:
Dragonhide: Armorsmiths can work with the hides of dragons to produce armor or shields of masterwork quality. One dragon produces enough hide for a single suit of masterwork hide armor for a creature one size category smaller than the dragon. By selecting only choice scales and bits of hide, an armorsmith can produce one suit of masterwork banded mail for a creature two sizes smaller, one suit of masterwork half-plate for a creature three sizes smaller, or one masterwork breastplate or suit of full plate for a creature four sizes smaller. In each case, enough hide is available to produce a small or large masterwork shield in addition to the armor, provided that the dragon is Large or larger.

Because dragonhide armor isn’t made of metal, druids can wear it without penalty.
Dragonhide armor costs double what masterwork armor of that type ordinarily costs, but it takes no longer to make than ordinary armor of that type.

Dragonhide has 10 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 10.

What questions do you have about Craft (Musical Instrument)?

Zaryus

First Post
I can't remember. Is siege engineering a craft? I can't remember if it is. But if it is, it's my fav craft skill.

For professions I enjoy alchemy(it's fun to blow stuff up) or sailor(don't ask why, I just do), they're good professions or good for game mechanics(no one wants to go sailing with an inexperienced crew).

silvertable81

First Post
Hands Down.
Profession Cooking is the best of either Craft, or Professions. It doesn't matter how poorly your character performs in any other aspect, your group's Battle cry will be "Protect the Cook!!!"
:D

Lord Wyrm

First Post
Profession(Architect) coupled with Knowledge (Archetecture) and Disable Device make for some in dungeon fun.

"Mister dragon, did you know if I hit this stone here the whole complex will come down? Now where's that treasure hoard, and make it quick." ;)

Sledge

First Post
I enjoy craft(Alchemy) which isn't a profession btw.
For profession(cook) is a great roleplaying tool. Unfortunately in two of the games I run one group has three skilled cooks and the other none. A random treasure roll ended up giving the group with no cooks a "portable kitchen" (kinda like a folding boat, but a kitchen)

Unfortunately the rules for these two skills (craft and profession) are very under detailed and not very well thought out for game play.

btw for clarification
Craft (Siege Weapons) would be reasonable.
Profession (Construction) sounds a little more accurate than (Architecture&Engineering) which is just knowledge.

ScottB

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:

Thanks, Patryn. I didn't think of looking in the 3.5 book(just 3.0, silly) - I'll do that for craft(musical instruments) as well.

Cook sounds good - I like it.

Tarangil

First Post
ScottB said:
As a general question: what are your favorite Craft or Profession skills?

More specifically, what skill(s) would be appropriate to skin a Dragon, and use its hide to make shields and armors? Craft(leatherowrking) and Craft (armorsmith)? Is there a seperate tanning skill? On the subject, where could I find the listing(s) for Dragon skin as an alternate material? I didn't find it in A&EG. I don't have the Drag. book, so is it anywhere else? Also, where might I find information on Craft(musical instrument)?

Thanks, everyone.

If you chose the profession Trapper the skills involved would entail the knowledge on skinning animals, drying the skin, tanning or any treatment to preserve the skin/fur in as good a condition as possible. Not to mention covering your basic survival and tracking skills. But you'd need the leatherworking/craft armor type skill to do something with the skin once you've aquired it.

Remove ads