• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite D&D books

MonsterMash

First Post
Actually realised that I've got a 2e favourite as well: Al-Qadim

But this is a really difficult question - when it comes to rules the three little books have to be my favourites as its where it all started for me.

ngenius

Adventurer
Favorite DnD books

Before any of your WoTC haters crucify me, let me say that I am a relatively new RPG player so I tend to favor books by WoTC.

My favorite right now are:

1. Eberron (this book really kicks serious 3.5e butt).
2. Arcana Unearthed (by Monte Cook)

And of course the essential books of Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide. (I got away using the d20 SRD for in place of the Monster Manual). Sorry WoTC, but where I live, books are really hard to get. They must be air-freighted by registered mail or risk getting lost.

JoeBlank

Explorer
As others have mentioned, my "favorite" book often changes depending on what campaign I am playing in and/or running, and on what sort of character I am playing and/or thinking about playing.

But two books that struck my fancy are Heroes of High Favor: Dwarves and HoHF: Half-Orcs. Durbin took a core inovation of 3e, the favored class, and ran with it. Reading the books, over and over, made me truly think about all the options opened up by the third edition of the game I love.

Darth Krzysztof

First Post
My all-time favorite has got to be the World Builder's Guidebook. Every fantasy campaign I've put together since that book came out has started with it, including the ones set in published settings, and the ones that didn't use D&D rules...

The original DMG hardly needs any more love, but it's my favorite 1st Edition book. There's stuff in that book that's still useful today--and if you've been studying it for the last 25 years, maybe you'll find it. ;)

For third ediiton/3.5, I'd have to say Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. What a perfect summation of all things Faerunian...

Last edited:

Remove ads