• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

favorite D&D character concept

Havoc123456

First Post
whats your favorite type of character and why? me personally, i love the big strong tank characters that can walk through hordes of goblins and come out the other side drenched in blood and still ready for more.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
While I play all kinds of PCs, most of them revolve around a mix of martial skill and magical prowess, what folks around here call a "Gish"...although few of them, if any, actually meet the stock definition.*

* IOW, besides Ftr/MUs, you'll find a lot of MU/Th, Rgr/MU, Ill/Th, Pal/Sorc, Monk/PsyWar and so forth...

Last edited:

rgard

Adventurer
I'm with Danny. I prefer a 'Gish' build. I like the versatility. Also, one of my first characters in 1E was an Elf Fighter/MU.

Theroc

First Post
I generally favor a more martial lean, to avoid the confusion of all the magic... though I have been wanting to try a spell caster lately. Vancian Casting always worried me. I like magic flavor, so some Tome of Battle disciplines and gish builds often suit me best.

I also occasionally like building the pure tank.

HoboGod

First Post
My favorite character concept is a Hobo, usually that involves some form of Rogue/Bard, but I'm of the mind that there's a hobo in all classes.
Druid/Ranger? He lives in the woods and "talks with animals," need I say more?
Monk/Cleric? A drifter that lives a modest lifestyle, relying on the generosity of others, that's a hobo!
Fighter/Barbarian? Watch out, he'll shank ya good for looking at his sandwich.
Sorcerer/Wizard? An eccentric lunatic that spends most of his time wearing funny clothes that "give him power" and trying to "uncover the secrets of the universe," sounds about right for the "end is nigh" type hobo.
Paladin/Knight? Um... yeah... there's not a hobo in that, there might be a secret hobo there, though! What with mistaken identities and hilariously poor decisions on the part of nobles... yeah, I'm not buying it either.

radmod

First Post
My favorite character concept is always the one I'm currently playing.

Usually, though, being a nature kind of guy, I tend towards the Ranger/Scout/Druid builds.

I'm probably unusual because I like to play the support guy. I don't really need to blow things up or beat things to a pulp. Instead, I'm the guy you think is a wimp in combat but you're always glad he's around. It makes it easier for me to direct (control) the other guys in the group.

i love the big strong tank characters that can walk through hordes of goblins and come out the other side drenched in blood and still ready for more.
With a name like Havoc... you better be.

Sharkon

First Post
While I play all kinds of PCs, most of them revolve around a mix of martial skill and magical prowess, what folks around here call a "Gish"...although few of them, if any, actually meet the stock definition.*

* IOW, besides Ftr/MUs, you'll find a lot of MU/Th, Rgr/MU, Ill/Th, Pal/Sorc, Monk/PsyWar and so forth...

I cannot agree more about the martial skill and magical powers. You have both the versatility of a spellcaster and the martial power. Your rp is a bit pozerlike too :p

Theroc

First Post
I also like things that are... 'more than human' Half-dragons, Half-Fiends, Half-Celestials, Archons, etc...

Mostly human but with some distinct differences.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
My favorites are usually a mix of rogue and fighter, a "combat acrobat," or even better "battle artist." Naturally, that means I like Tome of Battle, though I make the character archetype with plenty of other sources. Barbarian/Martial Rogue (the kind that loses sneak attack for feats) is probably my favorite general build...ever. Martial Rogue also goes well with Swordsage. Factotum dips can also help with lots of concepts.

General idea is to be highly mobile, do fair to severe damage, be highly skillful and/or self-sufficient, and be as stylish and over the top unrealistic as possible. If my character's attacks would make for a good circus performance, or if I can rip video footage straight from Dynasty/Samurai Warriors and say, "my character did something similar to THAT," I know i'm on the right track.

One example was my Goliath character that pounced at people, knocked them back into other enemies, and pretended he was bowling. Or my current Changeling Martial Rogue / Factotum / Warshaper, who combines massive reach battlefield control tactics with heavy Intimidate use. Thanks to imperious command, intimidating strike, and never outnumbered, s/he (ambiguously gendered) can leave scores of enemies shaken for the entire encounter and cowering for one turn with hir attack. Another current charcter is a Bloodstorm Blade. He...didn't require much thought or effort to hit wuxia levels of craziness, just the general principal of throwing around a sword with an ~8 ft long blade like it's a toy boomerang alone gets that job done fairly well.

In my mind for future characters to play includes a Duskblade/Dervish that Whirlwind Attacks with dervish dance and full attack spell channeling, running around the battlefield like a mad wo/man.

Remove ads