D&D General Favorite Fantasy Africa stuff

That's not what I see when I see depictions of 'fantasy not Africa'.

Dark skinned noble savages with facial scarring and spears, coming from a vast dark and barely sketched out continent.

It always comes down to that.
okay, I'm curious as if you've read any of the sources in the OP. Because Nyambe definitely isn't that. Not sure of the others, haven't read any of them except the Chult one, and that is more 'lost world' than not Africa...

Zardnaar

Legend
Marsupials running the show. Always the way. That and the Outback.

The reality of Australia is we are actually one of the most advanced, developed and urbanised societies on the planet, with 87 percent of our population of 25 million living in our major cities, and with a HDI and standard of living topped only by few countries.

The USA is not one of them.

Yet every depiction of Australia or Aussies is some Crocodile Dundee/ Outback/ Steve Irwin BS.

If anything, Australia should be a former colony of a great empire (that is now in decline), with a highly advanced society who are oppressing the native inhabitants. That's a lot more like what it's actually like.

Yeah Australia's now one of the best countries in the world up there with say Norway.

Zardnaar

Legend
? not if you're using the actual kingdoms that existed there as a base. Wealthy, vast armies, shrewd traders, skilled craftsmen, and not a 'noble savage' in sight.

This.

If D&D is fantasy medieval Africa had great kingdoms that were powerful.
Gold, cattle, trade. They were more or less on par with Europe.

Late 19th century after industrial revolution sure but D&D isn't that either.

Africa is fairly diverse as well. From memory you've got 4 major groups plus lots of smaller ones kind if like European 3 major language groups plus smaller ones.

Yeah Australia's now one of the best countries in the world up there with say Norway.

Yet the stereotypes applied are always not reflective of the reality. I've lost count of the amount of times people kind of expect every Aussie to be Steve Irwin or Mick Dundee and live near Uluru in the outback riding kangaroos to work, playing with snakes and crocodiles, and lugging around huge knives.

We dont mind it that much, but it can get a little cringeworthy at times.

That's not what I see when I see depictions of 'fantasy not Africa'.

Dark skinned noble savages with facial scarring and spears, coming from a vast dark and barely sketched out continent.

It always comes down to that.
In my opinion "not Africa" is usually described by these tropes:

• Animism
  • Tribalism
  • Ancestors
  • Honor

If I was going to do a 'not Australia' in FR, it would be something like this:

''A forgotten Netherese prison colony that avoided the fall, has established a thriving and highly advanced society on a remote continent, replete with strange animals and a hostile interior. Underneath this advanced society though lurks a dark history of slavery and oppression of the native elven peoples. Using magic, the Netherese colony keep their presence hidden from the world.''

Zardnaar

Legend
Yet the stereotypes applied are always not reflective of the reality. I've lost count of the amount of times people kind of expect every Aussie to be Steve Irwin or Mick Dundee and live near Uluru in the outback riding kangaroos to work, playing with snakes and crocodiles, and lugging around huge knives.

We dont mind it that much, but it can get a little cringeworthy at times.

I live in middle earth lol. For the most part most of our population s live in cities and are more or less USA with different culture.

Cleaner cities maybe.

Mick Dundee was a caricature if a stereotypical Aussie even in the 80s.

Remove ads