• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Fantasy Race: Dwarves, Hobbits or Elves?

Whats Your Favorite Fantasy Race?

• Dwarves

Votes: 84 51.5%
  • Elves

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Hobbits

Votes: 21 12.9%

• Poll closed .

nato

First Post
When I first saw this poll, I was very confidant about the outcome. I figured the dwarves would beat the elves by a landslide. As I type this, elves just pulled ahead of them, 88 to 87.

Is anyone else as surprised as I am?

On this forum and on others, elf dislike is pretty vocal and notable. The same arguments and list of grievances are brought up fairly regularly. They are familiar enough to not even need repeating. After this, the dwarves are sometimes lauded a bit in counterpoint to the elves.

I really thought this was the feeling of the community because it is so common. I would have never guessed elves could come close in a poll. Anyone else surprised, or have any thoughts on this? Is elf hate not as universal as it seems on forums?

Gez

First Post
Gnomes. I like the idea of small, unassuming people who speak in riddles and have much greater power than expected. Like a whole bunch of Yodas.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
nato said:
When I first saw this poll, I was very confidant about the outcome. I figured the dwarves would beat the elves by a landslide. As I type this, elves just pulled ahead of them, 88 to 87.

Is anyone else as surprised as I am?

Not nearly. After all the work I've gone through making two dozen new accounts to manipulate this poll ;) :p

On this forum and on others, elf dislike is pretty vocal and notable.

Dislike is always pretty vocal and notable. Doesn't mean that no one likes the subject. It's just that some people can get quite vocal. Make a big ruckus and sound like they're 20 guys all at once.

Plus, for every elf hater who has to make it abundantly clear that he hates elves (because, apparently, that's cool - like smoking), there's a dozen people who like them, but don't feel they have to go and tell everyone time and again.

The same arguments and list of grievances are brought up fairly regularly.

Means that it's probably the same guys bringing them up over and over.

They are familiar enough to not even need repeating. After this, the dwarves are sometimes lauded a bit in counterpoint to the elves.

There's also those who dislike dwarves. Maybe they're not making such a big deal of it as guys with handles like 3lfh4t0r, but they're there.

I really thought this was the feeling of the community because it is so common.

Nah. That's like saying that all D&D gamers are munchkins or all WoD gamers are emo goth drama queens. Or (insert political viewpoint here) are (insert something derogatory), or (insert nationality here) are (more derogatory stuff) or (religion; rinse and repeat).

You can't really measure numbers by the amount of noise they make. Minorities often know how to seem like more people - especially if they're insecure about something.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads