Favorite Flanking Fixes in Five-E?

Gadget

Adventurer
I don't thing the 'gut' feel is related to realism (D&D combat is rather abstract and not to granular), but rather that advantage is something that should be somewhat rare (in some sense of the word 'rare' as many spells and abilities can grant advantage). Having advantage be so easily obtainable, though maybe adding a modicum of tactics to the game, devalues most of these abilities and spells. I'm sure it works in some games, every table is different, but I would think many of the abilities and spells that grant advantage would quite different if the base game was designed with advantage from flanking.

G

Guest 6801328

What if Pack Tactics are simultaneously changed so then when the creature is Flanking an opponent a different benefit is gained?

- Target has Disadvantage when attacking you?
- Target cannot have Advantage?
- Crit range reduced by 1?

Etc.

corwyn77

Adventurer
The thing that always bugged me?

Two attackers flanking get advantage due to the target being distracted and overwhelmed, right?\

Now a third attacker comes in, presumably leading to the victim being even more distracted/overwhelmed, yet that third attacker gets no advantage, either figurative or literal.

Two attackers flanking get advantage due to the target being distracted and overwhelmed, right?\

Now a third attacker comes in, presumably leading to the victim being even more distracted/overwhelmed, yet that third attacker gets no advantage, either figurative or literal.
That's not it. Flanking specifically represents someone trying to get behind you. Unfortunately, while the game can tell us positions, it doesn't represent facing at all, so there's no way to actually know whether someone is actually in front of you or behind you.

When there are two enemies directly opposite each other, either one is on your front half and the other is behind you, or they are both in your peripheral vision. The flanking bonus assumes the latter case. (There was actually an option, later in 3.5, to choose which way you face; the enemy in front of you gets no bonus to hit, but the one behind you gets +4 and you lose your Dexterity bonus against them.)

But then, if you have an enemy to your left and right because you're splitting the difference and not allowing either directly behind you, then a third enemy who joins in might be in front of you. (And assuming that you can pivot freely, that's exactly what you would do.) Thus, the new enemy doesn't get a bonus at all.

Remove ads