• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite game system independent of setting / genre

bert1000

First Post
Just found some old Marvel Super Heroes and Star Frontiers books. Looking at them with a today lens, I thought "These systems are still pretty cool, easy to run, and have some neat elements not popular today (e.g., different levels of success for a precentile die roll)"

So, was curious about other people's thoughts. Independent of the actual setting (e.g., D&D, WoD, Rifts) and genre (e.g., medival fantasy, sci-fi, horror), what underlying game systems do you like the best and why?

RFisher

Explorer
Just found some old Marvel Super Heroes and Star Frontiers books. Looking at them with a today lens, I thought "These systems are still pretty cool, easy to run, and have some neat elements not popular today (e.g., different levels of success for a precentile die roll)"

I want to think on it a bit before replying to your question, but I thought you might find it interesting that my group is currently playing MSH. It’s a game that finds its way into our rotation regularly.

Jack7

First Post
AD&D as far as role play. Though the more I look at Ars Magica, well, I like it a lot too. I like Traveler.

Star Fleet Battles for combat. As a war-gaming system.
But I also liked the simplicity of Ogre (the super-tank game). It was an incredibly good war-game, though it was not a "system."

That one is easy for me - My primary game system is a Universal system - HERO. It's been my system of choice for 24 years now. It is a setting/genre free system.

I've used it for fantasy, Superheroes, cyberpunk, space opera, martial arts, western and more.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
After 30+ years in the hobby, my all time faves are, in order:

1) HERO. The most powerful and flexible RPG system I've ever played, bar none. I've yet to come up with a PC concept I couldn't model in HERO.

2) M&M. A very close second to HERO, its nearly as flexible, but not quite as "mathy." Some of its mechanics don't quite work as well as HERO, though.

3) 3.5Ed D&D. My all-time favorite FRPG. But for the previous 2 games, I can say I haven't found a game that lets me indulge my creativity in a fantasy setting more than this game.

4) The Fantasy Trip/In the Labyrinth/Melee/Wizard. The simplest RPG ever. Create a PC in 4 minutes and play.

Honorable mentions to: Traveller, Deadlands, Space: 1889, Godlike and RIFTS (for creativity in its setting only).

As for non-RPGs, I'm a huge fan of Star Fleet Battles and Ogre as well. I actually liked Chainmail (the more recent incarnation that was supplanted by DDM), and got a huge kick out of RoboRally.

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
QED's Marvel Universe RPG system---the one where you used resource management (stones) instead of randomizers.

God I love that system---best gaming I've ever had. I have considered throwing together a generic variant for years now (until 4e ate my gaming free-time).

And yeah, another vote for classic TSR Marvel. To this day I instantly calculate up FASERIP stats for comic book characters when I encounter them on the page or screen.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Mutants & Masterminds, 2nd edition.

You can do anything with that system, and it's a breeze. A pleasure, in fact. I've yet to try anything that even comes close.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
1. Fudge. I intensely disliked Fudge at one point in time but as I age, I have come to recognize the value of a system that will allow you to model pretty much anything with very little fuss.

2. The Fantasy Trip: In the Labyrinth. The precursor to GURPS, TFT has a very simple system that can easily be expanded to facilitate multiple genres and settings simply by tikering with the Talent and Equipment lists.

3. The Window, with the caveat that the Introduction is rubbish. If you can get past the Introduction, The Window is a simple, serviceable, multi-genre system that loves to be modified and tweaked as you see fit.

Those are probably my three favorite systems independent of genre and setting, though Rolemaster may soon be added to that list as I am exposed to more of its modern-era and sci-fi rules.

Remove ads