• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Genre of Game

What is your Favorite Genre of RPG?

• Fantasy all the way

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Sci-Fi all the way

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Both, You can't have a dragon unless he is carrying a Plasma Cannon

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Neither, I like the weird stuff

Votes: 0 0.0%

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
Lol. Pfft:

I guess I like a combination of both of the genres, man. What is cooler than weilding a lazer sword while casting fireballs at people.

~
GrinReaper
"The Counterattack"

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Mr_GrinReaper said:
Lol. Pfft:

I guess I like a combination of both of the genres, man. What is cooler than weilding a lazer sword while casting fireballs at people.

~
GrinReaper
"The Counterattack"
Being a Vampiric Half-Dragon Cyberntic Mutant wielding a laser sword while casting maximized fireballs at people!!!

Kane

Nightcloak

First Post
I've played many games, but I always return to my favorite - Fantasy.

Someday when I have lots of time, hopefully I'll play multiple games a week and can branch out.

* Imagines a bunch of GMF members in a retirement home someplace yelling "hoody hoo!" *

ChaosEvoker

First Post
Nightcloak said:
I've played many games, but I always return to my favorite - Fantasy.

Someday when I have lots of time, hopefully I'll play multiple games a week and can branch out.

* Imagines a bunch of GMF members in a retirement home someplace yelling "hoody hoo!" *
KoDT, how I love you......

That woudl be funny though

Macrovore

First Post
I prefer the primary fantasy with a little bit of oddly-placed tech involved (sometimes the result of magical experimentation), such as early firearms, THis is why many constructs such as the warforged and the inevitables, which, although magical, have a slightly futuristic flair to them, intrigue me so much.
and, AMEN

Nyaricus

First Post
Macrovore said:
I prefer the primary fantasy with a little bit of oddly-placed tech involved (sometimes the result of magical experimentation), such as early firearms, THis is why many constructs such as the warforged and the inevitables, which, although magical, have a slightly futuristic flair to them, intrigue me so much.
and, AMEN
See, for me, i got the exact opposite way. My homebrew campaign setting is set in earths equivalent of 1050 - so its pretty low tech, few cities and almost no towns, mostly it's little manors and feudal areas, and wilderness. I reference alot from the book From Stone To Steel - it's an awesome hardcover which goes back to the stone age through to the end of the Renaissance (ugh, i haven't spelt that one for awhile, so don't hold me to that). It has guns, and many, many other things too. Roman Armours, African throwing axes, Middle Eastern swords, etc etc etc - all chronilogicalized too.

So i refer to it alot in regards to 'hmmm, does this fit in this era?' or 'would this ____ be in this pseudo-germanic country, or not?' etc etc. I like gritty, edge of civilization, dark heroes. They can shine, but they won't be perfect. Nore are they super-heroes like in standard D&D - my campaign is low magic, and i am drawing a lot off of Iron Heroes for mechanics here.

I draw off alot of inspiration from Tolkien (who doesn't, :p) but even moreso than most. Since i am a straight-up medieval fantasy, a genre which tolkien perfected, if not created, i refer to him first and real world concepts second, and keep my opinions to myself. For example, my dwarves are Tolkien-esque, not nordic dwarves, and as such, they are distinct. I wanted to have subraces (similar to standard D&D, but cmapaign specific, obviously) but i'd rather keep to Tolkiens themes.

As for the real-world concepts, i go staright to the bible tales, greek myths, and nordic sagas for them. My Berserker class replaces the barbarian, and i am adding in many cletic monsters at the moment, mainly 'cause i am going through my Oxford celtic dictionary at the moment - all of which are based off to be as close to the original in theme and mechanics and power as possible.

Anyways, just a few details of my way fantasy gaming. Good'ol FR is always nice for a change-up when you need some high-magic, high fantasy gaming.

Nyaricus said:
See, for me, i got the exact opposite way. My homebrew campaign setting is set in earths equivalent of 1050 - so its pretty low tech, few cities and almost no towns, mostly it's little manors and feudal areas, and wilderness. I reference alot from the book From Stone To Steel - it's an awesome hardcover which goes back to the stone age through to the end of the Renaissance (ugh, i haven't spelt that one for awhile, so don't hold me to that). It has guns, and many, many other things too. Roman Armours, African throwing axes, Middle Eastern swords, etc etc etc - all chronilogicalized too.

So i refer to it alot in regards to 'hmmm, does this fit in this era?' or 'would this ____ be in this pseudo-germanic country, or not?' etc etc. I like gritty, edge of civilization, dark heroes. They can shine, but they won't be perfect. Nore are they super-heroes like in standard D&D - my campaign is low magic, and i am drawing a lot off of Iron Heroes for mechanics here.

I draw off alot of inspiration from Tolkien (who doesn't, :p) but even moreso than most. Since i am a straight-up medieval fantasy, a genre which tolkien perfected, if not created, i refer to him first and real world concepts second, and keep my opinions to myself. For example, my dwarves are Tolkien-esque, not nordic dwarves, and as such, they are distinct. I wanted to have subraces (similar to standard D&D, but cmapaign specific, obviously) but i'd rather keep to Tolkiens themes.

As for the real-world concepts, i go staright to the bible tales, greek myths, and nordic sagas for them. My Berserker class replaces the barbarian, and i am adding in many cletic monsters at the moment, mainly 'cause i am going through my Oxford celtic dictionary at the moment - all of which are based off to be as close to the original in theme and mechanics and power as possible.

Anyways, just a few details of my way fantasy gaming. Good'ol FR is always nice for a change-up when you need some high-magic, high fantasy gaming.

Sounds like a cool CS. I'd suggest looking at Celtic folklore and Native American mythology as well. Hell, just pick up and read a few books on folklore and mythology from different cultures, and trust me, you will be filled with inspiration on what else to put in. I've studied a lot of different mythologies myself, and a lot of the campaing setting I'm making and stories I'm writing (yes, I'm a geek, shutup :p ) are based off many different mythological sources.

Remove ads