• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Items

Arctic Wolf

First Post
As the title says, what are your favorite items for any slot, class, or just for flavor? Just curious since I am going to start DMing a group in a few months and want to know what items to possibly give since we won't do wish lists. Thanks again for your responses :)

P.S. Can you list their source too!!

Last edited:

Tallifer

Hero
This may not answer your question directly, but I really love the artifacts for Fourth Edition. I love their stories, mechanics and methods.

I also love artifacts because they make a campaign feel more like a literary epic. I think of Stormbringer, the Ring of Power, the Jewel in the Skull, the Staff of Law, Excalibur, the Holy Grail, the Necronomicon and many such storied items whose fate and use affects the course of nations.

Ferghis

First Post
My take, at this point, is that certain items are part of character creation. So, IF players know what they are doing, magic items should be left in good part to player discretion. Not wholly, but in good part. To that end, Enchant Magic Item and Transfer Enchantment are essential rituals to hand out to players, in my opinion. But to answer your question more directly:

Acrobat Boots
Diamond Cincture
Lantern of Insight
Boots of the Fencing Master
Salve of Power
Horreb Ritual Cube
Strikeback Tattoo
Eager Hero's Tattoo
Bracers of Mighty Striking for MBA-focused characters.
Siberys Shard of the Mage for arcane weapon attacks.
Couters of Second Chances
Bag of Holding
Iron Armbands of Power for melee attacks.
Badge of the Berserker and Horned Helm for charging characters.
Staff of Ruin for damage-focused staff users.
Frost Weapon or Gauntlets for frostcheese builds.
Corrosive Oil for light-armored melee characters.
Healing and Regeneration Potions, obviously.
Rhythm Blade Wrist Razors if character is proficient.
Warning Weapon Spiked Gauntlets as an extra weapon-slot item (I could be wrong about how this works).
Fire Beetle Potion (front-loads healing at the beginning of an encounter, and resist fire to boot).

P.S. Can you list their source too!!
Sorry: I'm feeling lazy. However, even without a subscription, you can look up the source (and level, price, slot and rarity) at Dungeons & Dragons Compendium

Pour

First Post
Artifacts and boons are my favorite types of magic items, but as for specifics, I kind of like my homebrew stuff best. It's personal, it's player-specific, and they're fun to create. My game is a little hardcore at times, and the items need to be equally so. Fourthcore Armory is full of inspiring items, as well.

Here's some of my most recent:

6607400159_826e651155.jpg

6607400035_fcff5eba5a_z.jpg

6607399857_d8e9afee5e_b.jpg

Wormwood

Adventurer
I *know* I'm forgetting some---

Helm of Seven Deaths
Boots of the Fencing Master
Devastating Ki Focus
Planestrider Boots
Bridle of Conjuration

Neverfate

First Post
Armor of Sudden Recovery (cloth/leather) Daily that turns ongoing damage into regeneration of the same number.

Spiked Chain (with Spiked Chain Training feat). A flail/light blade with reach? Favorite weapon in the game.

Ki Focus. My favorite implement. Notable enhancements: Abduction and Iron Body.

Cloak of Survival. Such a simple, useful cloak. Resist 5 Fire/Cold and +2 to endurance checks. There's a hundred other cloaks, but if I can't think of one I grab this.

brehobit

Explorer
My items...

Dwarven Armor--the ability to heal, without a healing surge, 1/day as a free action (and therefore between others turns) has kept more than one of my characters up during a fight. Plus it adds to the endurance skill. Plus it's in the lowest price tier!

Amulet of Life--Another great item for staying alive. As an encounter power getting an extra healing surge out is really nice.

Boots of the fencing master--Nice bonuses and the encounter power can be very helpful. Davros Elden's Defensive Step does the same thing and might be preferred depending on how you play boons.

Acrobat Boots--cheap and the only good foot item for quite a few levels.

Siberys Shard of the Mage great for bards and (I assume) swordmages.

Corellon's Boon of Arcane Might is really handy for the right character, but Moradin's Blessing of Iron is probably the best divine boon (if you are using them).

Gauntlets of Blood unnamed damage bonus to bloodied foes? Yes please.

Eager Hero's Tattoo--ideal for your defenders.

Bags of holding and other non-combat items also rock.

Marshall

First Post
Cloak of Survival. Such a simple, useful cloak. Resist 5 Fire/Cold and +2 to endurance checks. There's a hundred other cloaks, but if I can't think of one I grab this.

Raven Cloak is in the same category.Resist Cold/Necro and a daily save reroll+bonus. Sweetness.

Staff of Ruin just needs to go away, its way too good.
Radiant Weapon is in the same boat. OTOH, Dragonshards need to be expanded to work with any implement and/or there needs to be an Iron Armbands of Power equivalent for implement users.

If you're Arcane, you WILL pick up the Belt of the Witch King at some point.

The War Ring deserves a spot on your hand into Epic.

Hedge Wizards gloves are just cool for non-wizards and free up Wizards to take all the skill sub powers.

Akaiku

First Post
Exodus Knife...
Pocket dimentional room you carve into a wall. Totally awesome. Always always always try to pick one up. Safe nap place and with gm fiat, can be made to look like anything awesome and flavorful.

Remove ads