• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Favorite method of generating ability scores

Your favorite method of ability score generation

• Poll closed .

S'mon

Legend
5e point buy is the best very of point buy I've seen, but I like standard array better.
Rolling only for pre-3e, it's terrible with the 3e+ attribute mods.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Free form arbitrary generation is the closest to my reality.

As a DM my only concern with a character's ability scores is that the player of said character needs to be satisfied with them, so I have my players figure out what their characters' scores are however they want to - rolling, point buy, picking them deliberately, doesn't matter so long as they don't find their ability scores to be hindering their enjoyment of their character.

My players typical choose as follows: One rolls her own set of 4d6, discard lowest, and assigns them down the character sheet in order to help her decide what to play; One rolls his own set of 4d6, discard lowest, and assigns them as he likes; the others all take the first player's rolled scores and assign them where they like.

As a player, I tend to gravitate towards methods like 3d6 twice for each ability, rolled in order down the sheet and choosing the score I prefer (and yes, sometimes it is the lower one), or every score starting with a base of 8 and then rolling 7d6, adding each die as a whole value to those base scores as desired.

Standard Array, because it forces the players to make some tough choices – do you use your racial bonuses to excel at one of your prime stats, or use it to get rid of that penalty?

I also like that it leaves room for growth as the PCs level up.

Sacrosanct

Legend
4d6. Been doing like that since forever. I like the risk/reward aspect of it, and I really like how it adds more diversity among your PCs. Array seems just too much cookie cutter. Having a PC with a 6 in a stat can actually be pretty fun to play. It adds variety.

Al2O3

Explorer
Point buy for serious games, any version of 4d6 drop lowest for games where hilariously over- or underpowered characters could end up being part of the fun. My group sometimes allows the choice of 4d6 drop lowest and point buy.

The could thing about random scores is when it allows race/class combos or class versions that would otherwise be outshined by all other characters. Light armour ranger with greatsword comes to mind.

Gimul

Explorer
For high fantasy, I like: 4d6, drop 1, re-roll 1s. For a grittier game: 3d6 straight up. Sometimes I wait to see what the spreads look like before I decide if they must remain in order or not.

Valador

First Post
When I run it's always Point Buy.

Reason - Ease of use, balance and it allows people to build the character they WANT, within reason, and doesn't force people to play some random hot mess they don't want to play. I cannot enjoy playing a character that I'm forced to play that isn't up to my desires...

ccs

41st lv DM
Rolling. I picked 4d6-1, but any of the versions is fine.
I like the randomness of it. Given a choice ill pick this every time. If not given a choice ill still ask.
I'm good with any stats I generate that way. High, low, or inbetween , I'll make a character I like....
If somebody else at the table doesn't like my stats for whatever reason? Well, that's their problem.....

When I DM? Each person is free to pick wich method they use: Roll (4d6-1), pt buy, or standard array. Makes no difference to me.

HERESY

First Post
I really like point buy. With the ability to raise stats as you level I like everyone starting on an even keel instead of the randomness of dice rolls.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads