• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Mundane Characters in High Magic Settings?

Loonook

First Post
So I was actually thinking today about our cavalcade of posts discussing mages being overpowered and show-stoppers... And then started wondering about mundane characters in high fantasy settings. To be honest I find myself drawn moreso to the Mundane (or Mundane with Magic Item) characters in most of the books I read more than the wizards and warlocks... And just wondered about who your favorites were?

Of course there are most of the Fellowship (even if I am not personally a Tolkien guy), or characters in settings where magic exists but isn't widely present in the story (Song of Ice and Fire as an example)... But I'm looking for a bit more than that.

I think my top two have to go to Croaker of the Black Company (Chief Annalist/Surgeon/Wiseacre Extraordinaire) and Nick Christian of Ragged Angel Investigations in the Dresden Files.

Croaker is a great foil and narrator, providing a wry characterization to a series of books that I always felt was like an After Action Report to a fantasy war... From multiple perspectives ;).

Nick Angel just sort of hits me. He only makes a small appearance but in his (maybe 6 pages) of appearance he hits hard. He knows about the weird in the world, the things that go bump in the night, and doesn't really get involved with it. But he is a man of principle, and as a private investigator he fits into the detective novel. His scene probably summarizes "fighting the good fight" better than any other character in any series I have seen in quite some time. For all of his flaws the characterization is just fantastic and really draws the line of Good not necessarily being Pleasant or Nice.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Remove ads