• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite non-human PHB race.

Favorite non-human PHB race.

• Dwarves

Votes: 137 36.9%
  • Elves

Votes: 92 24.8%
  • Gnomes

Votes: 36 9.7%
  • Half-elves

Votes: 37 10.0%
  • Half-orcs

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Halflings

Votes: 42 11.3%

The_Gneech

Explorer
One of the things I loved about Tunnels and Trolls was that it had fairies and leprechauns as player races. :cool: Oh, and they called a hobbit a hobbit.

FWIW, my favorite non-human PHB race is probably the elf, but only if played right -- exotic, otherworldly, and prone to reverie. It just appeals to the Wordsworth in me. A girl in a gaming group of long ago used to play elves as slutty ditzes, and it really grated on my nerves.

(My actual preference is for humans, generally, tho.)

-The Gneech :cool:

drothgery

First Post
I guess I'd have to say elves, because the only non-human characters I've played for more than three sessions have been elves or elf variants, but my favorite PC race is human, and the overwhelming majority of characters I run are humans. A free feat, 1 free skill point/level, and acting like a human doesn't require as many leaps of logic.

Last edited:

LizardWizard

Explorer
The Speaking People, also known as "elves" in certain backward human communities ;).
Nothing to do with mechanics - elves have dominated my imagination since I read The Lord of the Rings.

talinthas

First Post
gnomes all the way. (Tinkers for life, yo!) Its a shame that we have the complete guide to elven wallpaper in the springtime, but barely anything about gnomes. They need an identity, and need to be used more.

KB9JMQ

First Post
I like playing Dwarves. Never have played an elf. I really don't have a reason not to other than I prefer the stereotypical dwarf.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Wombat said:
That being said, I, like many others, got my first major taste of dwarves in The Hobbit. As I was growing up, many of my friends read LotR and became elf-nuts; this only caused me to dig in my heels and become more of a dwarf-fanatic -- dwarves weren't moaning low all the time about how the world was doomed, win or lose. ;) I read through the book carefully to find the minor passages that mentioned the great wars going on around the Iron Hills where the dwarves were going out to fight goblins and the wainriders in force -- they were not hiding in their forests and playing Depeche Mode and Morrissey music! (okay, okay, I am way exaggerating here, but give me comic lisence...) ;)

I hear you. I've been a dwarf fan ever since I first read The Hobbit when I was 10 years old, and I've gamed with groups where I felt like I was the only dwarf fan in a sea of elf-lovers.

talinthas said:
gnomes all the way. (Tinkers for life, yo!) Its a shame that we have the complete guide to elven wallpaper in the springtime, but barely anything about gnomes. They need an identity, and need to be used more.

Agreed. It's a good thing that gnomes will be one of the two races featured in WotC's upcoming suppliment Races of Stone, because gnomes haven't been nearly as devoped as the dwarves and especially elves have.

Baron Opal

First Post
I'm a Dwarf maaaann...

(trumpet solo..)

I love the dwarves. The Tolkien stories started me on my interest and the Norse legends kept me going. Probably excacerbated by the fact my father was a bladesmith and I'm on the short side, wide frame, and have long red hair with a beard.

Which causes me to ask, why do people think they have a Scotch accent? It's Germanic if anything.

Baron Opal

Yraen

First Post
Favourite Non-Human Race

Gotta be half-elves. Ever since I read Dragons of Autumn Twilight and met Tanis, I've been enamoured by the race and try and play one whenever possible :)

Remove ads